SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katerina_theodoropoulostsapatoris

Whole house lighting - need it to coordinate without being too matchy

Kat Tsap
6 years ago

Hello! I am remodeling a whole house... I love a lot of lighting options but I feel like I am ALL over the place in terms of styles/colors/finishes.

Can I do different colors in the main area if it is visible from another room? The family room and kitchen are open to each other. You can see the kitchen from the nook and you can see the nook from the dining room, so it is all kind of connected. The is a grand old tudor revival home which we are renovating to be more transitional.. think dark hardwood, grey-tinted white walls, dark windows, beams and muntins, white trim.

Family Room: Oil Rubbed Bronze - i have already purchased this

Kitchen Island pendants (need 2 coordinating sconces). Can I do this "winter gold" cage chandelier? Or should I go with an oil rubbed bronze? Kitchen cabinets are pure white with grey/white stone counters. the windows in the whole house are dark brown as are the muntins. I thought the winter gold would leave the kitchen feeling more light but I don't know if it will look right. I also haven't picked the cabinet pulls/knobs... ( I know, that's a whole other thread.... but leave me your two cents if you have thoughts on this too!)

Option 1 island pendants

option 2 island pendants

Nook: This is what I am thinking... wood with oil rubbed bronze.

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/marcoux-12-light-candle-style-chandelier-lrfy8159.html

I also need two hallway lights between the kitchen and family that can be about 20" tall... I don't LOVE anything I have found. Any recommendations that would compliment the lighting I have posted?

What about the powder room? White cabinets, whitish/grey quartzite and blueish gray marble tile...can I do chrome here since it's not visible from other areas? Or should I have it oil rubbed bronze? I just love chrome with marble and white cabinets! Again, haven't picked the cabinet hardware - was considering doing chrome pulls/knobs and faucet and oil rubbed bronze light and mirror... I read an article that mentioned that as a suitable option but am not set on it.

Lastly, any recommendations about mudroom and coat closet lighting? Also up to 20" tall.

Thank you for your input!

Comments (13)