SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Random post about HGTV-esque offering from across the pond

mtnrdredux_gw
6 years ago

So I've been binge-watching a British decor show. Which is odd because I've basically stopped watching HGTV after years of devotion. I still like Int'l HH but no idea when it is on.

So the premise of this show is three people are selling similar homes. They all tour each others' homes and then each decide what they need to fix to compete. They get 1000 pounds and a week. Then the host brings in a buyer to look at all 3.

Some things I've noticed:

1. People in the US are much fussier. Our "redos" are far more complete and detail oriented.

2. People in the US are lemmings. Everyone makes the same changes - not so in the UK

3. Boy the kitchens are small in the UK, and I can't get used to clothes washers adjacent to ranges.

4. When they say "homely" then mean "homey"

5. They like color a lot more than us. In particular they really like floral wallpaper feature walls. They will even add that to a home to help sell it. No one in the US would ever do that.

6. I like the host, but in both the opening credits, and in every single show, she needs a makeover! Or even just a comb? I don't get it, is this not a "thing" on British TV? Here even if you are going to be on a news show for 5 min they will do your makeup. This woman always looks bedraggled. Her eyebrows need shaping and darkening. And her hair! She always looks a tad overdue for her highlights, and her hair is too fine and stringy to wear long like that (I know because I have very similar hair that too often looks like this). Take a look: (at the host not me)

7. The guests also seem to do nothing to look presentable on camera. Like comb their hair. Or change. One guy was wearing a button down pocketed shirt and it looked like it had been stored in a Hefty bag all winter; wrinkled mess, pockets flaps going every which way. Yet they pose, smiling, in front of their humble abode.

8. On our shows, someone always buys! On these shows, the best they might say is they want to look at one of the houses again.

9. Because I am so terrifically clever, it has only taken me about 15 episodes to discern the pattern. There is one house owned by a bachelor that needs character, one house owned by an old couple that is full of hideous collections, and one house that is ok but owned by a family and needs some storage and a little sprucing up.

If you are housebound in the snow, check it out:

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80222462?trackId=13589554

Comments (95)