SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccy198b

Heat mat on established plants?

Christina C
6 years ago

I just bought a Hydrofarm heat mat to help establish roots on a couple of hoya cuttings (some in water, others in a bark mix) as well as to encourage root growth on a phalaenopsis that I had converted to full water culture back in the fall. I've stuck all of these on a tray, which I then covered with a humidity dome. Since I had space left over, I threw in a couple of other plants: a philodendron micans that I had to repot a couple of weeks ago, a small but established hoya that I figure could use more heat and warmth at this time of year, and some curcuma rhizomes potted in soil.

Is any part of this set up going to be problematic? I read somewhere that the temperatures of a heat mat could "cook" the roots of an established plant. I'm also wondering if this is an effective method for bringing the curcuma out of dormancy. And how often should I air out the dome? I took the entire lid off for about half an hour this afternoon. Should I have just vented by way of the vent holes on top?

Oh, and all of this is sitting directly in front of a bright north window (my only option).

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH