SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_doll58

Any mortgage shopping advice?

Jane Doll
6 years ago

I'm going to be closing (estimated) on a new construction house on April 27. My buyer's agent kind of pushed one of his preferred mortgage brokers, and since she was able to get the same deal from the builder as the builder's preferred lenders ($3000 off closing), it seemed safe enough. But she tends not to get back to me very fast, and of course they set up the loan estimates to be as confusing as possible.

I'm supposed to talk to her this morning at 9:30 to hopefully get some 'real' numbers (I assume that > 30 days I can't get a 'rate lock' yet), but one of her early estimates had us paying something like $11500 in closing costs on a ~$300,000 mortgage (not including down-payments). Does this sound high? Other (brief) estimates we got from other with other lenders were closer to five or six thousand in closing, and that was before the "$3000 off closing" deal from the builder.

I guess I'm trying to figure how and when I can shop for a different mortgage provider, if it's not too late already.

Comments (3)