SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
senator13

Advice needed: rent, mortgage, construction loan,

senator13
13 years ago

My husband and I are building a home in Maryland. The value of the land is approximately $200,000 right now and we own it outright. We also own our current home which would sell for about $300,000 right now. We have no debt, excellent credit, and we have enough cash on hand to pay for about 2/3 of our building project. My husband will serve as the general contractor (he has a fair amount of building experience, and his dad is a licensed builder in PA) and we will subcontract some items that we don't have the time or licensing to do on our own.

To that end, we are trying to figure out the best route to get approximately $100,000 that we will need to finish our project in the spring. We have not talked to any loan officers yet, but I am looking for some input on what others might or have done and what were some of the pros/cons in those decisions. Any imput would be greatly apprieciated.

Senario one: We sell our home in the spring and rent for roughly 6 months for $2000 a month. We would then have the cash from our home and would require no loans, but we would obiously pay $12,000 in renting if it went for 6 months.

Senario two: We take out the $100,000 against our current home with a mortgage. From what I can tell, we would pay about $9,000 in mortgage payments in addition to closing costs, fees, etc. It appears that it would be close to the cost of renting in the end, with the advantage that we wouldn't have to move twice.

Senario three: We take out a construction loan for $100,000 to finish building the home. I know the least about this process. It appears that we would only pay the interest on the principal until we get our occupancy permit-is that correct? We have a farm credit here that says they offer construction loans to homebuilders in rural areas (which our lot would qualify for), but I don't know if these are impossible to get right now or if there are other disadvantages.

Any other option, besides selling our organs that I didn't consider? :)

Comments (7)