SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

Gold Blush: Shade? Habit? Thorns? BS?

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all! I know this isn't an antique, but it's sold by ARE so I thought this might be the best place to post. I have this on order and am thinking about planting her on an east facing wall next to Lavender Lassie. Will this be enough light? I had to move other roses last year as they languished in this spot and grew backward, so I want something that can take some shade. (Prior roses that did poorly there were Falstaff, Sugar Moon, Heathcliff and Viking Queen. VQ is a fraction of the size of the one in full sun and hardly blooms. Still healthy, though.) LL seems to like this spot if that helps.

If this seems like a good spot, how is her health generally? HMF lists her as a climber ... is this true? Is she very thorny? Since this is a tall wall, I'd prefer something lower thorn, but that's not a priority. Also, is she fragrant? Thanks everyone for whatever you know from experience or reading. Not many seem to grow this beauty. : )

Comments (58)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jin, there are great pictures of his on HMF and if you look under his name under breeder you can go to his blog.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again! I guess I'm the guinea pig on this Rose.

• Related Discussions

Buff Beauty habits??

Q

Comments (16)
    THANK YOU FOLKS ! Thanks so much to all the kind 'rosies', what a wonderful community of garden-lovers!!!.... I was interested in Buff Beauty because K & M Roses lists it grafted on Fort., and I have gotten several orders from them and thinking of ordering more... starting with another 'Julia Child',.... but I'm looking for some tall roses for the back of the beds and BB seemed to fit the bill... and she is the right color, cream- yellow- orangey..... I do have Crepuscule a year now, and it seems to have very small, dime-size blooms, very sparse blooms, not at all like the pics or write-ups... but a nice color...... I'm going to think abt. it, what with all the info you folks have sent.. but I do want to get 'it' on Fort., too bad there are not more Nurseries growing the OGR's on Fort. it would make it so much easier. I have tried numerous times to root several of my own-root roses, and never any luck.... if I could do that, then learn how to graft onto Fort., it wouldn't be so bad....then I'd get more own-root and graft them.... I love Bermuda Kathleen also Old Blush and both are own-root, they are bloom-machines, OB is in a pot... I'm trying to get away from spraying, and the OGR's do well w/o spray... but the HTs defoliate from BS and if not for companion-plants in front of them they would be an eyesore....but this is familiar to you-all. Thanks again kind rose-people, I sure appreciate all your help, sally
    ...See More

Roses grown for their foliage, thorns or unique attributes

Q

Comments (37)
    Sherry, I think that refers to rootstock suckers. If you cut them off it's like pruning the rootstock suckering growth, which is invigorated and grows back more enthusiastically than before. I'm glad you like the sound of R. gallica 'Splendens': it is a handsome creature. Mine has started suckering (top growth) in the last year or two, and perhaps I'll be able to get a bit of it and plant it somewhere a bit more accessible than its current position. I have a notion that some of these Asian jungle giants are just not adapted to our garden conditions. I've failed with R. laevigata, and 'Cooper's Burmese' is puny. Both of these could be just poor siting and site preparation, too. I mourn our lack of big trees able to support humongous climbers. Melissa
    ...See More

Any clues about growth habit/size of Sui Mei Ren?

Q

Comments (65)
    Outsteelers, your rose looks amazing. Not bad since you bought it in Fall and it is growing tons of buds already. Got to post pics as it blooms and I bet it will look beautiful. Can't wait to see the blooms :) My rose is called Ping Dong Yeu Ji . Sorry for the delay of name. jin
    ...See More

Clytemnestra? Thoughts? Thorns?

Q

Comments (4)
    My Clytemnestra isn't nearly as large as Malcolm's. I think she's around 7 years old. She's more a sprawling shrub for me, but isn't planted near support. I'd say she's about 4'x6', slightly splatted out; "sprawling" might be a more poetic description, lol. Lovely in the Spring flush. Not too thorny. Enchantingly variable in color according to conditions, from gold to apricot to pure pink. I would say she has average shade tolerance...for a Hyb Musk; which is to say better than most roses, but don't go planting her in full shade. Mine gets morning sun on the east side of my house, up to 1 or 2pm, and does great, but that's unobstructed sun for six+ hours, then mostly shade the rest of the day.
    ...See More
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

Gees, I really want to get that rose and many more . .thanks for the info. I will look into HMF. Good to know :)

Jin

6 years ago

Guinea pig, no way !

Yardwork is too much for me right now. I been working flowers beds alone for months. I can't imagine doing climbing roses anytime soon. By the time I start, yours have grown and bloom several times. So, I am running a few years behind. I just started ...lol.

Jin

P.S : I have a huge roots of network underground. Some runs 8 feet some longer. Always find more and more one on top of another.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jin, I'm a newbie as well. With the exception of New Dawn and my Orleons polyanthas, this is only my second year growing roses. However, like you I jumped in with both feet!

My problem is clearing out my beds of every invasive Vine and weed. Fortunately, we have winter, but a lot of rain so things grow crazy. I think you know all about that in Florida. I also have so many volunteer trees that I'm cutting down and tons of bush honeysuckle. Then, I'm constantly trying to keep the deer fencing ahead of the deer. Working on my retaining walls, balustrades, etc. is another chapter. There's always something to do with an old house, but at least this one has great bones and was built to have a Rose Garden!

I can't wait to take a break in Florida in a week, although I'm sure I'll be stressing about how much work I should be doing.

6 years ago

I just read what you wrote, Cheers to that !

Lol, you made it sound so me and I can't help laughing.

Jin

Original Author
    6 years ago

Christopher I really appreciate you reaching out to mr. Starnes. I'm going to do as you suggest and see how it goes later in the season. Thank you again.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

You're welcome! Please take pics, and share them here and on HMF. As designated "guinea pig", we must all learn from your results.

;-)

~Christopher

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

Yea! Vap, so I can learn from you...lol

Nicely put Chris...:)

Jin

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Update: I'm predicting this Rose is an all-out winner in terms of vigor and willingness to bloom. It's in a dead heat with Ghislaine de Feligonde for healthy foliage and crazy growth, but is far and away the winner for blooming. This isn't to say she's been flowering her head off her first season. She's been building roots and putting out long canes in a large pot with a few sporadic buds to keep me interested. However, she is now setting a huge amount of buds of which a couple have started opening. She has some of the most elegant buds of any I grow. I will post more pictures as more open. She is very healthy in afternoon sun.

5 years ago

She does looks very healthy. The last pic looks nothing like gold. I am really surprised. But it is still young and it looks beautiful. How is the scent ? Your folliage looks so, so green

It takes 2 years to kinda mature so you still have long ways to go. I read it loves cold and mild climates. So, I am out of this rose but sure to enjoy your pics :)

Looking forward to more pics. Vap, it is beautiful :)

I am pretty sure either Moss or BenT has this rose and I am not sure who. I hope they see this.

P. S : Isn't this the rose that shift colors?

Jin

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Jin. The open Blooms look nothing like the pictures I have seen so I'm chalking it up to its youth. I do hope I see the gold blush of John Starnes photos. Hopefully, if he sees this post he can comment how it does in Florida since I believe he is growing it there now since moving from Denver. I can't recall much scent, but that flower had already passed. The bush is quite huge so I'll be putting it in a large pot soon. I wish I had its home ready so I could just plant it.

I don't recall Moses having this plant so perhaps it is Ben. It would be nice to have someone to share notes with.

5 years ago

I know that he grows it here and that is what is confusing Bec HMF states it otherwise. I hope he sees it too.He is very near me like 20 mins. I hope he does Bec I that helps me. This sounds exciting and I am happy for you. Looking forward to your pics. I am at work and gotta clock in a min. Last minute looking forum...hahaha

Jin

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    5 years ago

I got gold blush from ARE and planted in a full sun location. No blooms yet, Vaporvac, any more blooms? Is she fragrant? I guess I'll have to wait until spring to see what mine looks like.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Recka, I don't know if my experience counts as mine is still in a pot and was in a so-so location this summer. She IS thorny and she DID BS and defoliate for me, but that is common until I get roses in their forever home in the ground when they will often shape up. She has fragrance, but it's not overpowering. However, she IS VIGOROUS! and I feel once in the ground will bloom alot. Her buds make up for many deficiencies being the about the most elegant on any of my roses. My biggest disappointment has been her color which remains as shown above.... not gold by any stretch. : ( I'm hoping this will also change once she's in full sun in the ground. I'll try to make a collage of her later blooms in a bit.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    5 years ago

'Gold Blush' gets its color from 'Abraham Darby', and I'm guessing that like its daddy, 'Gold Blush' will vary. Here, my AD can be a gold-suffused peachy-pink or something closer to 'Golden Celebration' but with a hint of pink. I think it varies with temperature. Even the pics on HMF show variability. If you want to try something similar that's more yellow-gold, check out his 'Lemon Zen', bred using pollen from 'Graham Thomas' on Rosa moschata. Its blooms are single, and I think that translates to being more fragrant. High Country Roses carries 'Lemon Zen', having found a few plants after John Starnes thought his seedling had gone extinct.

:-)

~Christopher

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Christopher! I've seen lemon zest at High Country roses. It's a lovely plant. Here are some other photos I found of later blooms. Somewhere I have some showing clusters that bloomed but I may have erased them as the pictures didn't turn out well. As you can see it's really just a white rose with some pink and only the buds are this gorgeous color. If this is a phototropic rose then perhaps when I plant it in the sun it will exhibit more of that coloring. This is a very vigorous Rose though for anyone that wants a good climber. I'm assuming it's Hardy but mine is still in a pot.

5 years ago

Hmm...i was hoping for more of the gold, will update once it decides to bloom. It is in full sun.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Mine was in afternoon sun only and probably late in the day at that! I really don't think we can judge based on its conditions at my house. I will plant her in full sun in the spring so we shall see! I can't wait to hear how yours does being in a much warmer zone. When did you plant yours? Mine bloomed really quickly from ARE.

5 years ago

I planted mine this October, most of the others I planted with her have bloomed I'd not multiple times, at least once.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, being a climber, I'd give her time... and maybe a bit of alfalfa tea and composted manure! ; )

4 years ago

I got a few blooms this spring, she is very vigorous. Lots of blackspot and the blooms are not well formed. Fragrance is mild tea. Not sure about this one...how is yours doing Vapor? Mine is in full sun..

Original Author
    4 years ago

I just planted mine out. It's doing really well, but no blooms this year yet, but I expect some soon. She does seem to have grown out of her BS, but i suspect she needs the sun she now has. it is a loosely formed bloom, but i don't mind that if she blooms a lot and gives a good show from afar. I have also found that blooms definitely improve with age.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Sigh... still want it ! It’s very charming . Looking forward to more photos !

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

JRose is a so vigorous sending out many Basil's after going in the ground. Still not the color shown on HMF but so many flowers and the most gorgeous buds as I've mentioned before so it really has a multicolored look between the buds and opening flowers on the fully opened blooms. It also is quite showy from afar. Thorny but not in the sense of New Dawn the Thorns are quite well spaced and I believe this Rose will be easily trained to climb once I have something behind it to climb up on! This is soon after just planting it ...

and one week later!

The buds are getting fat.

I've yet to finish completely clearing out this humongous area. I mainly concentrated on making a Space to plant the many pot pets. The skinny Canes without leaves or the original all the others are new growth! It is now planted in full all day sun.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Latest spray. I think this Rose will be constantly in bloom however, I have not seen many laterals coming off the main canes. I may experiment with pruning to see if cutting off the leading Bud's encourages them.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Will post pics soon. This rose is constantly in bloom and pumping out basals. I did experiment with pruning cutting off the clump at the end. It pushed growth at each juncture so this would be a way to promote additional growth since it seems to focut on blooming at the ends. I've yet to attach it to a trellis. Very showy, but it definitely not golden in my situation, but rather more blush.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Latest pic/ This rose send long canes. I'll see if it puts out laterals when I finally tie it up next year. If deadhead just below the bud it will send out multiple canes that then bloom. These latest flowers are fuller after our first rain in weeks. I haven't given her supplemental water during that time so she is great for bloom while others shut down without rain. It's showy from afar which is what I wanted for this one and it blends well with its neighbors Setina, Aloha etal. Click to enlarge pictures!!!

Growth after dead-heading: this scare me at first!

These develped into long canes. Overall height is at least 6'-7'.

Latest flowers:

4 years ago

Vapor, mine is nowhere as nice as yours. Has some blackspot, and flowers are almost white and closer to single than double. I will post a pic. I'm not liking her much, but will reevaluate next year.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Were they similar to those at the top of the post? That's how mine were for a long while. She has some BS, but outgrows it and has leafy roses in front to cover any nakedness. I think climbers take at least three years anyway. Do you get a lot of rain?

For me, it sometimes comes down to what one wants from a rose. If it's for close viewing rather than total effect an OGR or Austin might be better. I believe this will eventually be more along the lines of NewDawn for me: pretty buds and opening flowers with a gentle colour that's missed easily missed from afar, but whose blooms are not densely petaled. Her constant bloom makes up for many "faults". As mentioned, she's surrounded by more heavily packed beauties that flower less and less often, and is just one of many on that very long wall. I tried to intersperse thorny with less thorny, fragrant with less fragrant, vigorous with smaller growth, less spectacular, but profuse short repeat with to-die-for flowers one anticipates for their rarity! (Looking at you, Cl. Caroline Testout! ) I just got them in the ground this year, so let's see in the coming years how this plan plays out!!! ; D

4 years ago

Vapor, mine were completely bleached out, more of a cream color. I am not sure if there are any blooms now, if there are i'll post a pic. Are yours fragrant?

What I realize is that all light pinks, apricots, yellows etc are completely white during the hot months. No color at all...and i, in all my wisdom, planted a whole bunch of these as light pinks are my fav. Now everyone thinks I like white roses (I dont).

Original Author
    4 years ago

That is too bad. My ND and even this GB do bleach out. Hopefully, Cornelia and Felicia won't do the same.Perhaps you could interplant with some low thorn varieties, such as Reine des Violette or thorny ones if you don't mind. I also have GB with Parade and it's a very nice combo. In my back area where ND is planted I have Viking Queen who maintains her rich pink colour, Elglantyne (non-fading) who has long canes that can be bent and a couple of purple-red Austins such as Falstaff and Tess. In front of these are Munstead Wood, Summer Romance (non-fading) with some shorter (Molineux) in the front. Molineux so far maintains good colour even if it lacks the richness during the height of the summer. Of course, you live in Tx so YMMV : ((

4 years ago

Vapor, I've now started adding strongly colored roses. My garden looked really washed out! I was not a fan of the bright colors, but they are growing on me. I got a Reine des Violette for a different location! After being pricked and poked all summer, I am ready for some low thorn varieties. I may end up moving gold blush. Thanks for your suggestion, I will be adding more deeply colored roses and knowing which maintain, somewhat, their colors is awesome.

Original Author
    4 years ago

One good thing about light-coloured roses is that they glow at night when everything else fades into the background. This is another reason why ND is so great where it can enliven the dark when seen from my back porch. I love to sit there at night.

• weekend gardener
    4 years ago

Rekha, have you looked at G. Nabonnand? It's extremely healthy and completely thornless. The blooms are blush or shell pink with hints of apricot. They become more pastel in the heat, but never white. Another very healthy rose that is always pink (more intense in the hot months) and fully petaled is Mrs. B.R. Cant. This one, however, snags my hair and clothes and skin if I approach too closely. Other than enjoying the fragrance of the roses blooming on the perimeter, I leave this shrub alone. I mostly enjoy it from a distance.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked weekend gardener
    4 years ago

I just checked, no blooms. Also the shrub is way too vigorous and thorny, plus the habit is somewhat wierd, all canes are atv4at 45 degrees...its too much for my space. I might move her to a different place or give her away to my brother. Weekend gardener, Nabonnand looks lovely. I think for this space I need something small.B.R. CCant looks huge in some pictures! But so lovely!

Original Author
    4 years ago

7 I think in your case that may be a wise move especially when you can grow something like never GNabonnard or BR Cant, both of which are too tender in my zone. Let us know what you do and how that turns out. :-)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

It really is coming into something so beautiful vapor !! I still would love to try it someday . I am thankful you post these updates as there isn’t much out there about this one ! :)

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Lily, if you do try it, make sure you have enough horizontal space allotted for her. her canes are not pliable at all, and they have a mind of their own. mine is growing horizontally. Very thorny too, so Vapors idea of mixing in a low thorn variety, maybe a smaller rose in front seems like a good idea. Mine is not in the right spot for this, i need a more mannerly rose! My space is small, so a big, stiff caned vigorous rose is not the ideal for me.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Exactly, Rekha!!! I will report back next spring when I devise some sort of armature for these wall roses. Hopefully I can wrangle them towards the wall. I am now also wondering how this rose would do in a large garden grown as a shrub. Mine is at the top of a hill and many canes are spilling downward creating a nice effect. If if were elsewhere I might leave it to its devices. Maybe I'll try a cutting to grow on my large back hill.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Was earlier this month. Definitely exhibiting more saturated color. I really like this Rose. If it's tip hardy after this winter, which I believe it will be, I would probably recommend it for even a Zone colder. It is super super vigorous and

blooms all the time once it gets going.

4 years ago

Mine has not bloomed much after summer, got one bloom this week, but was pale cream color. My other roses are showing deeper colors. I have almost decided to remove it from the current location and see if there is a spot in my brothers garden.

Original Author
    4 years ago

It's so frustrating when rose doesn't do what we want it to do, isn't it? Are you growing him (he's definitely a him!) against a fence or as a free-standing bush? This is a vigorous rose and it seems like you need a smaller one in your spot. However, if it's its colour and petal count you are concerned with, perhaps give it more time. A year in the ground isn't enough time to judge a climber in my (albeit paltry) experience. Neither Florentina nor Ghislaine de Feligonde even bloomed in their first year! As I've learned in spades, it can also just be the location. This year I moved multiple plants to different spots from where they were growing backwards and they've exploded with growth. Phyllis Bide will be moved in the spring to cover an oak stump and get more sun. She looked very pretty next to Florentina, but a huge tree and bushes shaded her (but not Florentina who needs SUN!) and I'm hoping she'll look equally as nice next to Flamenco Rosita. Keep us informed.

4 years ago

Vapor, true! And definitely a him, lol! Very vigorous with canes .coming out at 30 degree angles. I do need a smaller, well behaved rose here. I have mine in a ful sun spot, and still have a lot of blackspot and not much blooms...

Original Author
    4 years ago

Sad day today, Rekha. John Starnes, the breeder of this rose and many others, died on Tuesday in a house fire. I'm still in shock. He was always so generous with his time whenever I had any questions. What a loss for his family and friends and the rose world at large.

4 years ago

Oh no...I did not know. How terrible! So sorry r his family, friends an everyone connected to him. What a tragic news...thanks for letting me know

Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is Henry's post. John Starnes

Original Author
    3 years ago

I've been meaning to update this since it started setting bud. This Rose seems to be a late bloomer due to its R. Moschata heritage. It took until mid June set bed while everything else had already finished its first flush. If it repeats this behaviour next year then I will know if that is the reason for sure or if it was the crazy spring weather with its late May freeze. It already had some nice buds by 6:21 as you can see in the pictures and was blooming less than a week later. It has not stopped blooming and has tons of flowers as I type. A great rose with a lovely fragrance that I highly recommend. It is a thorny monster and I have yet to figure out how to prune it. I do know if you cut it short it will send out numerous long canes from that point. I have not yet decided if I will cut out the small growth next year to try and have it grow as a more traditional climber. I think it would make a very nice large Bush if desired. There is a fair amount of black spot here and it does lose quite a few leaves. That is the main downside. However where I better with my watering and fertilizing routine I feel that might help correct it. Vigorous is the word I would most used to describe this Rose. It also has a lovely light fragrance that varies in intensity and tone.

• Valerie Parish
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

hello. I found this thread while searching for information on Gold Blush. I am not what you would call a very informed rose person, lol, but I ordered Gold Blush in Dec. 2019 along with Graham Thomas and two others and planted them along my fence in Tennessee, zone 7A. In 2020, the rose threw out a couple of seriously long canes, growing in a much less compact manner than my other roses planted at the same time by comparison. The very few flowers were much like the ones vapor has among her first pictures of Gold Blush blooms - no gold, more white with a pinkish hue. Truthfully not what I was hoping for--my other roses along the fence line are yellow, orange and white. We'll see what happens with him this year, assuming he's survived the winter. I must say it's odd to see that lovely color in the photos on antique rose emporium and then to get the color of the blooms as shown here. Just wanted to say I appreciate the information in this thread:)

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Valerie Parish
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think I miss name this in another post but it is gold blush. One of the last roses to bloom along with setina. Valerie, this Rose looks very good with all other colors. It's what I would call a mixer. Unless you do something especially egregious it would be hard to kill this Rose.