SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Roses grown for their foliage, thorns or unique attributes

TNY78
11 years ago

I was browing through HMF and a couple of retailers sites, in particular their species rose sections looking at some of the more unique or even "ugly" roses. I remember a thread from a year or so ago that brought up some roses that were generally thought to be ugly (although I would grow these in a second, because they are not your typical rose). A couple of the ones metioned in that thread were R. Watsoniana and R. minutifolia. Of my own roses I grow Viridiflora and R. Omeiensis Pteracantha(Wingthron) not for their beautiful blooms, but for their odd blooms (viridiflora) and large red thorns (Wingthorn).

Then there's the roses that are truly beautiful, but also have something very unique about them. I just purchased Crested Moss recently because of its cresting. I also think my Park Jewel has beautiful blooms, but its numurous hot pink thorns on new growth also make it a conversation piece.

What other roses do you know of that are grown more for their foliage, thorns, or unique qualities? I'm sure there's a ton that I'm not even aware of!

Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Last Year's Ugly Rose Thread

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths