SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Lars Algerian Chicken

annie1992
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was sure I'd posted this, but it's gone into the dark abyss that is Houzz....

I was trying to think of something to do with chicken, and realized that I haven't made Lars' Algerian Chicken in a while.

I had most of the seasonings, but couldn't find the fenugreek, so I left that out, put everything else into the mortar and pestle:

I didn't have a whole chicken, as the recipe wants, I just had a bag of chicken "parts" which equalled one whole chicken, so I just loosened the skin and applied the seasoning under the skin on each piece. I like that it's under the skin because I peel the skin off, I never eat it, and I hate to lose the seasoning along with the skin. I couldn't figure out how the heck to get under the skin on wings, though, so I just spread it on top. Elery does like wings AND chicken skin, so he ate the wings. I also didn't grill the chicken, I put it in the oven on 350F until it tested done with a thermometer.

This is just as good as I remember it was, and the leftovers made awesome chicken salad for tonight's supper, so thanks again, Lars, for sharing.

Here is the recipe for anyone interested. I highly recommend this, it's easy and delicious.

Algerian Roasted Chicken

Lars--based on recipe by Chef Farid Zadi

1 whole chicken
4 cloves of garlic
1-1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
1 teaspoon of sumac
1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek
3/4 tsp cumin
3 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1 tbsp minced Thai basil (or 1/2 tsp fennel)
2 lemons
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
extra herbs, 1 tsp each minced fresh oregano and basil, optional
4-5 sprigs of thyme

Start charcoal for outdoor barbeque, using large chunks of mesquite wood and charcoal. Place the chicken in a roasting pan with a rack. Slide your fingers under the breasts to separate the skin from the meat, turn the chicken over and do the same with the thighs. Mash the garlic with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt in a mortar and pestle or
finely chop the garlic and incorporate the salt into it with the side of your knife or back of a spoon. Add the sumac, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin and mix to pulverize the seeds. Add butter and basil and combine to mix. Tuck pieces of the butter into the "pockets" under the skin.

Squeeze the juice of one lemon all over the chicken, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. Season the cavity with pepper, tuck in the lemon halves and more herbs into the cavity if desired. Place the chicken on the barbeque and cover, leaving vents fully open to maintain heat. Baste the chicken every 15
minutes alternating water and pan drippings. Midway through cooking turn the chicken 90 degrees. Continue frequent basting. The cooking time for a 3-1/2 pound bird is about 1-1/2 hours, depending on how hot your fire is. Cook to an internal temperature of 160°, measured in the thigh. Let rest covered about 30 minutes before carving. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the roasting juices, and pour into a gravy boat. Add salt, if needed.

And while making this, I found out that thyme stays green under the snow, just dig it out and have some fresh herbs!

Annie

Comments (11)