SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Above the Mantel - mirror or painting?

sergeantcuff
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am at my wits’ end decorating this mantel area. The bookshelves are very busy I know. I‘ve been planning for some time to find a painting large enough to fit the space and am not finding one I like quickly enough. (I am even willing to splurge a little at this point).

Should I just use a mirror? How large? I’m looking at one on Craigslist (size marked in tape). I propped up the small mirror in the picture just to give the idea.

The room is mostly empty now, waiting for rugs to be cleaned and new upholstered pieces to be delivered. Sofa with gallery/ salon hung pictures will be opposite fireplace wall.

Comments (42)

• k9arlene
    6 years ago

I’d do a mirror. Any artwork is going to be lost in your sea of books.

sergeantcuff thanked k9arlene
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I love books I don't care how busy it seems..almost nothing has such power of calm over me as books.

I'd go with art..to me, won't be lost..would be very fitting. I'd make exception only for a mirror you love love love.

It's a great room

sergeantcuff thanked aprilneverends
  • Related Discussions

Art above fireplace mantel

Q

Comments (2)
    If the artwork is easily removed and replaced, then I would do just that - remove it during warmer months and replace it (temporarily) with something bright and festive. Artwork should be easily rearranged.
    ...See More

Painting above fireplace?

Q

Comments (15)
    Before looking for art, I would find a rug that you like to ground the space (after painting). Then...art. No mirrors. You need color, drawn from your rug, above your mantle. As tall but two thirds as wide as your mirror. Centered. (Check Art.com or Greatbigcanvas.com) Then coordinating pillows for your couch. Is that a coffee table? It might be replaced with something lighter in color. With little ones, glass isn’t probably a good choice. But something that is less solid and that will permit your new rug to shine. Good luck!
    ...See More

Help! Should I leave our TV centered above the fireplace or mantel?

Q

Comments (33)
    I would paint lower cabinet doors black and insides of bookcase black. Add a couple simple white and gold accessories along with a group of books light backs. Add simple look on mantel on side of TV. Add black woven basket for toys beside fireplace. Add stack of birch logs to fireplace for decorative look if you don’t use it often. Do not put personal photos on this wall. Better in gallery arrangement in master br or in hallway. You can enjoy more when you can get closer to them. Guests aren’t interested in your personal stuff. Keep it simple since your sweet baby will be running around before you know it!
    ...See More

TV above mantel - Does this size work and should it be higher?

Q

Comments (32)
    funkyart - thank you, big grin on this end! arapaho - The idea of switching art.... is really satisfying! Yes, the heater is a gas stove and there is an electrical outlet. We also have an outlet behind the TV. Glad to talk through logistics for wiring the Samsung One Connect box behind the TV - I have pictures. marie_cate - thank you, we are! I enjoy the art so much I am loathe to switch over to TV :)
    ...See More
  • pandtkendall
    6 years ago

I so agree with Anglophilia. Only if a mirror is functional such as in a bedroom, bath, or foyer to check yourself before going out would I use a mirror as decor. For me at least they add little of interest, warmth, or color to a room like art does. JMHO.

sergeantcuff thanked pandtkendall
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I also agree with Anglophilia (I think if people were made of materials..metaphorically speaking..I'd be a mirror..sad thought..so as a metaphorical mirror, I'm telling you: I want to be useful..))..I must add that if you have art across from it, or window with a view across from it, and say has flowers right next to it on that mantel-then it's a different story because then yes, it reflects something wonderful.

Otherwise..very true..never apologize for a blank wall

(I'm not apologizing for months already..might be years lol, with how things go)

• Honu3421
    6 years ago

Chiming in with another vote for art! And never apologize for owning books! Your books are beautiful and speak to an interesting life. Do you mind telling me the depth of your bookcase? Your room is lovely.

sergeantcuff thanked Honu3421
  • eandhl2
    6 years ago

I agree, wait until you find art you love. I don't believe in "fillers" just because the colors go with something. Art should just ale you happy.

sergeantcuff thanked eandhl2
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    6 years ago

I love bookshelves as well, and one way you can make your bookshelves look more aesthetic while still using them to store your books is to get rid of all the books you don't need/want and filling the extra space with minimalistic/clean looking decor (so it doesn't look cluttered). This will be the artistic imagery in the room, so the best object for the space on the wall would be a mirror, which will nicely reflect some light in the room.

sergeantcuff thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • eastautumn
    6 years ago

I understand how frustrating it is to keep looking for just the right art for a particular spot, especially one as prominent as above your fireplace. It took me years to find a painting I loved enough for a wall in our dining room that's very prominent, and until then I left it blank (even though it seemed to be begging for something). I also agree with Anglophilia that it's okay to have blank walls until the right piece comes along, otherwise it can make it harder to envision just the right piece. My husband hung artwork from our former homes randomly all over our walls when we first moved into our current home, and it really drove me crazy, but the thought of blank walls drove him crazy. I had to start taking things down before I could envision what I really wanted where.

All that said, I don't think a mirror is a bad solution in your particular case to fill in temporarily until you do find the perfect art piece. I definitely wouldn't go out and buy a new mirror at a store just to fill the spot, but that's one thing I love about buying/selling on Craigslist. Once you do find just the right artwork, you can list the mirror right back on Craigslist and pass it on. Or maybe you'll find you actually love the light the mirror brings into the room and will want to keep it :)

Sure, it's ideal if a mirror reflects something particularly beautiful or adds light to a room by reflecting a window, but as long as it's not reflecting something ugly (which is hard to imagine in your tasteful home), I don't think it would detract anything from the room, and might help you to relax and not rush into buying artwork just to fill the space (and then regretting it).

sergeantcuff thanked eastautumn
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have lived in this house for a long time. We thought about moving so I stopped making any improvements. Now that we've decided to stay, I am determined to “finish” this place so help me ....

I think some mirrors are beautiful in themselves. I do not believe there’s anything around here that would be truly wonderful when reflected in a mirror although I am ticked by the reflection of my iron frog. I am reminded of a discussion about arbors in garden design. Someone argued that they must must must “frame a view”. Well, I think sometimes a plant just needs some vertical support.

I also dislike bare walls. I wouldn’t spend money on junk, but I’ve used travel photos, children’s drawings, etc.

I have spent too much time on UK blogs about design and architectural history (thanks to beckysharp. ) I was inspired to get a mirror despite the fact they show wonderful mirrors placed in rooms with grand architecture. It leaves me feeling more unsure.

I cannot find a picture I like that is large enough for this space ( at least 30 x 40) without spending thousands of dollars. I am tired of eBay and wish I could just be happy with something from Homegoods like most people!

I apologize for this rant. I appreciate all your ideas.

April, you are always helpful. I am intrigued about you being a metaphorical mirror and why that is sad. I will think about that rather than art and glass mirrors.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Have you tried looking for Russian oil paintings on e-bay? I find them quite fresh and interesting, at reasonable prices.

sergeantcuff thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • anele_gw
    6 years ago

RE: Wishing you could be happy with something from Home Goods... me too.

Take a trip to some antique malls/shops, and estate sales, You might find something and it’s so much nicer to be able to decide in person. I’ve spent so long looking online and often come up empty-handed; a few trips to some antique malls and I’ve found treasures quickly. I love it when I have the chance to talk to a dealer and find out the story behind the item. My most recent purchase was some chairs from a very wealthy lady who was born in this state but moved to another... she wanted all of her furniture to go back “home” to this state. :) She died in her bed at the age of 102 with a bottle of brandy next to her. Went to sleep and never woke up... that’s the way to go.

Or resale shops, esp. the non-chain ones. I just visited one that is run by someone connected to a local racetrack, and he’s gotten some beautiful finds from jockeys! And, often the money is donated to a good cause, too. The racetrack-connected shop helps families who come here from Mexico to take care of the horses. They (the people!) live in awful conditions.

One thing you might consider for your FP is a tapestry. There are mostly generic ones out there (on ebay) but every once in awhile there is something amazing.

sergeantcuff thanked anele_gw
  • sail_away
    6 years ago

Either, but before deciding, have someone hold up a mirror where you would hang it and observe the reflection you see from various location. I once hung a mirror over the fireplace and replaced it with artwork within the week because of the reflection in the mirror.

sergeantcuff thanked sail_away
  • loobab
    6 years ago

Hi sergeantcuff-

I love that room, and no need to apologize for books!

There are interesting mirrors that make a statement such as starburst mirrors, but they would not really suit in a room like this.

Keep your eyes peeled for something else, either a piece of art or an artifact (textile, sculptural, architectural or archeologic) that strikes your fancy.

On another note, have you thought about a radiator cover?

sergeantcuff thanked loobab
  • DaisyinGA
    6 years ago

I love your bookcase and I love the look of bookcases with mostly books and only a few pictures, accessories and baskets the way you have yours arranged.

If budget was an issue then I'd look in thrift stores for a large picture that has a frame you really love, even if you hate the picture. Then I'd replace the picture with some beautiful framed fabric or a large photograph of my own that I loved.

sergeantcuff thanked DaisyinGA
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I love that your book uses don't look staged. Please do wait for the right piece of art to show up; it will.

In the meantime you can play with putting bigger ceramics on the mantel or even paint something large and abstract yourself while you wait for the right piece to call your name.

sergeantcuff thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..just to add some sites for art you might want to check, in addition to eBay, thrift stores, estate sales..Etsy, Chairish..my favorite Everything But The House..you might get into a bidding war there, but on the other hand, people are less risky when it comes to larger art, I suspect because of the shipping charges that might be costly. One needs to check back and forth though, all the time..sometimes I don't like anything, sometimes I love a lot..these are online estate sales, country-wide..bidding starts from 1 dollar...one can get really lucky-or not. There's also option of local pick up if an auction is in your area.

also. you know Saatchi Art, right? more like thousands...but who knows. I have already four paintings from there..two were really expensive -to me at least- but still close to a thousand...they are larger ones. And I love them deeply.

ETA: also Ruby Lane.

and the best thing-nowhere to hurry..your art will find you.

• lawsonch19
    6 years ago

What about a big stretched canvas painting with the theme of books to compliment your amazing library? This is a VanGogh...one of my favorites. There are many companies online that offer this, in various sizes, eg. Great Big Canvas, Gallery Direct, et al. As a fellow lover of books, I can't wait to see what you do!

sergeantcuff thanked lawsonch19
  • lawsonch19
    6 years ago

oops...Picture didn't upload. Let me try again...

• lawsonch19
    6 years ago

Two more Van Gogh's to consider (can you tell he is my favorite?)

• H B
    6 years ago

Posters, either real or reproductions, can be very nice at some reasonable price points. This is just a suggestion, these are literary themed and relatively sedate so as not too add to the visual excitement all the books make... https://www.litographs.com/collections/posters/genre_american_literature?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I love your bookcase also. It so refreshing to see a bookcase used as it is supposed to be instead of staged.

My favorite artist is Monet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=monet%27s+garden+painting&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFjqqnlbjZAhWPu1MKHdLhD8IQsAQIngE&biw=1911&bih=921

sergeantcuff thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Fori
    6 years ago

I'd get the mirror off CL and then leisurely look for art. Yeah, that's right--a placeholder!

(Homegoods type art kinda gives me the motel willies.)

sergeantcuff thanked Fori
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

The cover art of a favorite book?

sergeantcuff thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Do y'all remember the Starving Artist's of the 70's that you went to a motel to see? That is what Homegoods reminds me of. We only went once and didn't buy anything.

sergeantcuff thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • ladypat1
    6 years ago

You have a lovely space, I too like books in bookcases, not the staged look. That said, you could sharpen up the look of the books by tightening the books, no leaning books. I like your mix of horizontal stacks and vertical stacks. A mirror would look nice, but needs a big frame, 3 inches thick or so. You can always use the mirror somewhere else when and if you find a painting you love.

sergeantcuff thanked ladypat1
  • ladypat1
    6 years ago

Oh Yeah, HATE that look of turning the edges of books out, spines in. Absolutely stupid........

sergeantcuff thanked ladypat1
  • Honu3421
    6 years ago

Lawsonchs19's post reminded me that you can get your own photography or a picture of someone else's art turned into a framed canvas print at Costco. The quality is pretty amazing. And it's inexpensive. The canvas is wrapped around a wood frame and all you need to do is hang it. I know someone who put a humongous photo they took of flamingos in their dining room. It is beautiful. I'm sure there are other websites that do this but it would give you an opportunity to take some photographs specifically for your space. So, maybe it's a placeholder. But if it's your own personal art and it's inexpensive, who cares?

https://www.costcophotocenter.com/howto/canvasprints.aspx

I'm not sure if you told us what kind of art you are looking for, but if you have an artist or a genre in mind, you can always check the on line auction houses. PM me if you are interested to know more about that. Also, guess what.......Goodwill has an on line auction. I haven't purchased from it but a friend has picked up some nice art there.

I don't think placeholders are the anathema that others think. My family room couch was an emergency placeholder and a few years later it has become our favorite place to sit! We talk about replacing it some day, but the color is perfect and the quality turned out to be wonderful so we are not in a hurry. If the mirror speaks to you, go for it. You can always upgrade later when you find that piece of art. Don't stop looking.

sergeantcuff thanked Honu3421
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow. Thanks for all the ideas. I was in a very bad mood earlier so I went outside to work in the garden and punished the shrubbery. Many things needed a good haircut so it should be fine.

It is hard to respond to everyone but I did want to answer some questions.

Lawsonch 19 and HB. I prefer original art. We are avid museum go-ers, so I have looked into art posters; it would be especially nice to have one from an exhibit we actually attended, but I haven't seen anything on the second-hand market.

Loobab- - I thought about radiator covers a long time ago but they block too much heat. My husband is obsessed with energy efficiency. Every fall he spends many days covering our windows with plastic sheeting. It is his life's work poor dear.

Fori - The motel willies! Exactly. My parents never hung a picture in their lives so I'm not sure how I became so obsessed with what's on my walls.

Honu and Ladypat1 - The shelves are 8-1/2 inches deep. I have pieces of trim shoved behind the books because we had some mold issues and I had to get rid of many old books. It seems that the old plaster (wallboard actually) walls with no insulation - meeting a warm room - equals mold. SO I try not to pack the books too tightly so there's some warm air circulating back there. The shelves are too short for most modern-sized hardcovers so space is at a premium at the bottom.

Eastautumn - I think you understand my dilemma. My old house has many windows, doors, and tall furniture (to make up for the lack of closets) therefore the remaining walls seem very prominent. My husband used to frame photographs he took during travels and just shoved them into any old frame on any available wall. I've tried to explain to him that he needs some plan, cohesion, anything anything but then he just lost interest,

Ingrid - I have looked, and will look again. I think I've become too picky. I already have too many florals, still lifes, etc and am wary of anything that will be too dark in this old house with low lighting.

Anele - Very good advice! I own very few things that have been purchased new. I have been to many, many stores over the years I and like to look around my house and remember where my things came from. I've also been shopping for some small tables and have made the rounds of every store in a 40 mile radius. I think I need to start a blog about the great stores in my area. I think it would be difficult for a recent transplant to know about some of these places because they don't have much of an online presence. There are shops here in Baltimore run by 3rd generation owners. I love the stories about where things came from.

April - I have looked at many of those sites but not Saatchi. I will have a look. I would prefer to see a painting in person, especially if spending a lot of money. I met a dealer in early and mid-century art who recently opened a gallery but it has no sign, name, or posted hours so I will have to track him down.

• drdeb1234
    6 years ago

I think a lot of people hang mirrors because they are unfamiliar with and intimidated by the prospect of buying art! Clearly that’s not the case with you, so I’m sure you’ll find the perfect thing eventually.

(and I can’t imagine you really wish you could be happy with homegoods art!)

sergeantcuff thanked drdeb1234
  • Anthony C
    6 years ago

greatbigcanvas.com has a ton of pictures that you can customize, select by color, etc. Ebay also has a similar capability.

sergeantcuff thanked Anthony C
  • Ann nonymous
    6 years ago
    I think a mirror with a fancy frame would look better. Plus mirror reflects light and and makes your room brighter.
    sergeantcuff thanked Ann nonymous
  • Carrie B
    6 years ago

Another art suggestion, especially since you like original art. If there's an art school near you - either a university or a community art center - that's often a good place to buy original art from emerging artists. Some art schools have school stores that include student art, and community art centers often have one or two student art shows each year. I've bought some of my favorite original art from the community art center near me.

• michels_jennifer
    6 years ago
    Going against the grain here...

I actually think a mirror could work well, depending on reflection of course. Your room looks a bit dark, so some light reflection may brighten your space. An oval or circle shape would break up the space well.

It really comes down to what you like. I prefer monochromatic with lots of texture. I’d have to organize those books by color and size if it were my room.
    sergeantcuff thanked michels_jennifer
  • lshack17
    6 years ago
    I have bought art and decor at a varied range of places and price points. Yes, from a store like Homegoods on the low end to original pieces from our travels in Europe on the high end. The comments that Homegoods art gives "motel willies" will probably offend many on this site as some are new to design or maybe it's a first home and there are budget constraints. It's also very judgemental because a one time visit should not make for an absolute opinion. There's been times at Homegoods I have found Ralph Lauren or Isaac Mizrahi pieces for a steal. I feel that a mix of high end and low end pieces make for interesting design and show real talent and creativity. Another person may look at your decor and think it's old fashioned, dated, cluttered, and uninspired. That's what is great about art and design, it's all subjective.
    sergeantcuff thanked lshack17
  • threelittlelights13ny7a
    6 years ago

Another vote for a mirror! The books are awesome, but already add a lot of color, texture, and pattern. I think your eyes need a place to rest when looking at the wall.

And mirrors are for more than just looking at something wonderful. They reflect light and open up a space to add dimension. Good luck!!

sergeantcuff thanked threelittlelights13ny7a
  • Lois Huneycutt
    6 years ago

Your room has a lot of character and personally I’m persuaded anyone who would stage a room with books with the spines turned inward had sold her soul to Satan and I would exit the room as quickly as possible.

I understand the desire to fill spaces. I have bought and framed a few “placeholders.” Actually some of my placeholders have become cherished pieces.

And I agree the room needs a focal point. Until you find the right piece what about framing a piece of children’s art, or a travel poster from somewhere you love, an antique map from someplace you love, even an enlarged photo of someplace meaningful to you shot from an unusual angle? A friend of mine recently lost her mother and wanted a memento in her living room but didn’t want a portrait or photo of her mother so she had someone do a photo of the stained glass window above the pew at church where her mother sat every Sunday for fifty years, and it’s absolutely lovely without being cloying.

sergeantcuff thanked Lois Huneycutt
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Don't ever apologize for a bookcase full of books : ) .

And now I have to apologize for distracting you with UK websites lol.

I would be very tempted to take one of your husband's photos and frame it to fit the space. Or see if you know someone -- an artistic friend or child -- who could paint a custom painting for you. I've bought several paintings from a Ukrainian artist on Etsy,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MissBlackEyes

who does custom portraits (I've bought a landscape and several botanicals so far), so I'm fairly certain she would also do a painting in a particular size.

All that said, for me as long as a mirror does NOT reflect something unappealing -- the television across the room etc -- it's a suitable use. I could be tempted to use this reasoning in your room, sc.

sergeantcuff thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Being encoraged somewhat by "They(mirrors) reflect light and open up a space to add dimension.")).. , I want to add that finding the right mirror is not easy at all. You (a theoretical "you"..insert any pronoun) need it to be certain size, right? That's a big mirror. If you order it online and you dislike it-you're kinda stuck..since the cost to return it might be big, and some stores will ask for restocking fees too, even if their shipping to you was free. So seeing it would be helpful. Everything new and affordable-I personally am not a fan of (yes I do have some in my house, bathrooms for example-because I was already desperate, and nothing suitable on Craigslist for months, and everything I love is expensive). So leaves one more often than not with scouring Craigslist. Again you're very patient and you check each day-or almost each day-so it's easier than art, a mirror-but as somebody who was hunting mirrors also..one needs luck with "his" mirror too.

I do have my favorites saved allover..favorite mirrors I mean..I'll check what I have saved. Probably useless to you; but who knows. We might have similar taste or something.

I have only one mirror in my house I truly love..but it's quirky. And I could afford it since smaller. Otherwise that site would want 700$ or smth like that..they carry several nice mirrors.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really appreciate all the ideas for printed canvasses, etc. I am set on an original work here, but I’m planning to spruce up the in walls a bedroom/den.

April - The Craigslist mirror seems too boring now, and a more interesting mirror - the right size - will probably elude me. I think I would only buy locally rather than have such a fragile shipped.

Lois - that stained glass photo was a wonderful idea. I prefer my decor to have some meaning, and that doesn’t mean that things have to be rare or expensive.

Becky - I really love British interiors (not the fancy stuff and I’ve no interest in the recent royals)! They just seem to know how to make rooms comfortable. My husband and I were in a pub in Yorkshire last year and he said “We should make our house look just like this.” Although I’ve travelled there several times I somehow never spend much time shopping. The eBay art sellers I follow are all in the UK. I DO like that Ukrainian artist so that’s very helpful.

Over the years In this space I have hung: A round hooked rug (poorly done by me), an antique map (too dull), some too-small paintings, a wreath (just weird), and some other things best forgotten.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

sc, to the main thing about British interiors that speaks to me is how form and function go hand and hand, and whether it's interiors photographed for books, magazines, or websites, the designers and decorators and homeowners have no problem with a squashy looking sofa or piles of books or unkempt bookshelves. These spaces all look lived in, not perfectly styled and uninhabited as so many of their North American counterparts do. And they make me think I'd like to live a real life there...

• sunfeather
    6 years ago

Becky, I so agree with you!

Serge - Some of my favorite paintings came from consignment shops.