SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahren_osterbrink

building my house, kitchen layout thoughts?

ahreno
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had posted in building a home and was told to post here.

I'm building my house, currently have rough plumbing (at least whats in the slab so no moving the sink) and most of the framing done.

I think i'm going to try to do this without any uppers. Maybe some open shelving at some point. I have A LOT of cabinets, especially with an 11' long and probably double width island. Being 6'6" (wife is 5'4") I like uppers but i like the look of no uppers and the cost savings can buy me a nice cooktop.

My Current Issue:

We would really, really like a "baking station". Essentially just a 4' wide cabinet that sits on the counter top. we would like to be able to leave the mixer/blender/coffee grinder etc out but behind cabinet doors. Getting rid of uppers makes this a bit more challenging.

My ideas:

1) Put baking station where shown on one end of "L", Double ovens in corner of L and Fridge on other end of L. If i do this layout, would it be best to have double ovens tight against wall or with an 18"? counter top between oven and wall? Now that i did the render, i can see opening and closing the ovens with the cabinet there isn't a good idea. If i bump the oven 2'? down that wall, i end up with a waste of 2' of space between oven and wall, and eat into the main work space. ergh. maybe main workspace will be island?

2) Put Baking station in Corner of L, Double Ovens at end of L (fridge stays where located)

3) Put Baking station In corner of L, double ovens in pantry with a vent fan for heat.
Wife is against baking station going in pantry (shes also against the double ovens in the pantry due to heat)
Ignore the colors/finishes in the ikea render. i was just playing around.

4) Ditch the double wall ovens, get a 48" wide NXR Stove from costco that has a double oven. This is a little more expensive than a nice Thermador cooktop and double wall oven but does give the added benefit of a 48" wide cooking surface. Then move the baking station over to the corner of the L and have the one leg of the L with no uppers at all.

5) Ditch double wall ovens, get 48" stove with double side by side ovens, leave baking station at end of L leg opposite of fridge. maybe sneak in a small broom closet in corner?

Comments (57)