SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkedro

Master Bedroom - Making it cohesive, choosing when commitment phobic

M Kedro
6 years ago

We are upgrading to a king size bed so we're making updates to our master bedroom. My goals: function first, bright, cheerful, more modern, not cluttered, something that will still seem fresh in more than 5 years. We're also middle aged so I don't want something too juvenile. It's a really large room. Pictures below. One picture is from standing in the entrance door. A door near a window goes to the master bath.

Things that have been an issue:

• I don't know why I painted the room this color. This specific color is SW Casa Blanca. Our master bath is SW Fleur de Sel. I prefer cool tones, but know a mix can be a better balance. I am commitment phobic and can't keep repainting. I know I like bright white walls with a possible focal wall where the bed sits. I'm leaning mostly toward an all white room and then a very large, bright piece of art over the bed. I have gray elsewhere so I don't want more of it and that's the only other neutral color I'd consider. Since that wall is extra long and the bed isn't centered, I'm not sure I'll like painting a focal wall. However, I really like a dark charcoal focal wall, but don't want the room to be gloomy. I need it cheerful and bright.
  • Between the wood furniture and woven blinds, it's too much brown/warm. I want to replace the mirror so it's not matchy-matchy. I am liking a large round mirror, but can't decide on the trim color - black or gold metal, or very light wood. The dresser and entertainment center (used for linens) must stay. I like blonde/natural wood, but don't know when it starts to be too much wood and too many tones. The furniture is cherry. The bed is obviously platform style. We don't need/want a headboard. Right now we use a white herringbone coverlet. I really like a Pottery Barn duvet in white - Honeycomb. I'd rather keep the main bedding white so I'm not tired of it in a few years. The couch also stays. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/honeycomb-duvet-sham/?pkey=csolid-duvet-covers-shams&isx=0.0.1012
  • Lighting for the nightstands - considering sconces (plug in) or something like task lamps. Don't want them to take up too much area if they sit on the nightstand. Also prefer that they can be more than 40W. The lamp on the dresser will go.
  • Fireplace needs updating - considering painting the wood surround and white tile a very dark gray or black. I think I need to change the color since the walls will be white. I don't have the finances or time to totally redo it. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

If you look at my board called Master Bedroom, I like a more modern aesthetic. Bright white walls and bright art. I like cobalt blues, turquoise, teal, grass green, emerald greens, magentas, bright yellows. I don't mind a tiny dash of bright red. I also don't mind a black/white look as long as plenty of color is added somewhere. I don't want pastels. I can go more eclectic, but still want it to read cohesively so it doesn't look busy or cluttered. I like trends, but don't have the budget to get sick of it and want to redo it soon. I could use art and a few more plants.

I don't know how to pull it all together - which nightstands, mirror; mixing metals and/or woods.

Comments (77)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!