SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Master Bedroom - starting over

Elle
5 years ago

We're starting over with our master bedroom and I'm hoping for some inspiration and guidance!
I posted a little while back, and everyone recommended we repaint, so after some debate hubby is on board with repainting. With that in mind...

Here's what's staying:
-nightstands
-chandelier
-this new bed
-I like the moon paintings but they don't HAVE to stay
-the dog crate is gone, he now gets a big boy bed, but there has to be room for that somewhere in the room

Here's my challenges:
-the bedding can't be light colored. we have bad well water and it's just not worth hours of my sanity trying to keep everything from turning red. yes, I've tried it all.
-we have baseboard heat, so curtains can't go to the floor or they prevent our bedroom from being heated.

Here's what I'm thinking:
-Either purple or pink as an accent color? I love rich eggplant walls, but I know sometimes purple walls don't end up looking like you've imagined so I'm ok with keeping them neutral and using accents instead
-"Rustic Glam" (I know that's not a thing - but I like shiny/rich feeling materials mixed with cozy touches)
-We have a relatively small budget, $500-1000 for all the remaining stuff - bedding, lamps, decor, maybe a dresser or chair for the corner (we have a separate walk in closet)

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Comments (62)

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The bed came and I love it! I especially like the slightly more modern stitching pattern. And obviously am super excited for a king bed.

I was all ready with eggplant and lilac paint chips, but honestly I'm not sure I want to paint now. Its almost impossible to see in the pictures, but when I got the headboard in the room it brings out the purple undertones in the current color magically (I picked the paint hoping the purple would pop and then it didn't... until now).
    It might still be just a hint more subtle than I wanted, but I'm not sure if it's worth repainting over. Unless you think the "darkness" level is too close to the headboard and I should go darker or lighter?

I also pulled this painting I've had a long time (and still love) from storage and was thinking of putting it on the wall at the foot of the bed?

We also grabbed this curtain to play with. I was thinking of doing the whole wall width in curtains like a fancy hotel??

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

So glad you're pleased with your bed! That's one big element done. It's not velvet. Don't know why I was expecting it to be velvet. No, it's a linen-like texture, isn't it? So that's a "rustic" element, not a glam one.

For the wall colour, based on my monitor, I'd say paint but you're in the room seeing the actual colour in your lighting and I can certainly understand a certain reticence at the prospect of painting. You know what? You don't have to decide right away. :)

The curtain panel looks promising. A bit of sheen there for the glam element. How many do you have? If you want a whole wall of curtains, you need enough that it will look lush and not skimpy on the rod. If they need hemming, consider doing away with the grommets and putting them on rings instead. You could also pair them with sheers to get layered textures at the window. I must tell you though, on my screen, your wall colour is skewing green next to your curtain in that last picture. Although green and purple make a nice pair, these two aren't making the best pairing on my screen.

If you love that painting, hang it up! Have we seen the wall at the foot of the bed yet?

What's next on your list?

• Related Discussions

Expanding master bedroom over garage (cost)

Q

Comments (26)
    Tell any contractor that you assume the cost of doubling the size of a project "won't be that much different," and you'll get a reality check. It greatly depends on the size of the original project. I expect that you'd agree that pushing it out one foot as opposed to two feet "won't be that much different". That's doubling. 6 feet vs 12 feet might be more of a difference, but with part of the addition being a bathroom, I figured that the fixed cost of all of the plumbing etc would be a greater factor than the variable cost of the additional square footage. I wouldn't think you'd be able to renovate an existing bathroom for the price that the first person quoted! It goes to show that prices vary so much depending on location. My main point was that he should consider going bigger and find out actual prices. Don't get locked into a certain mindset based on possibly false assumptions. Granted, I should have said might not be instead of won't be. There are too many unknowns in this situation to make any kind of absolute judgment.
    ...See More

TINY box of a master bedroom progress and make over!

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi, Mary E. This is very cute, but from your other thread in Home Decorating, I think you misread the name of this forum. This is Bathrooms, not Bedrooms. But it's very nice anyway. ETA Oh! I just realized you're the same person who posted her living room over in Smaller Homes. You're doing a great job!
    ...See More

Master bedroom do over

Q

Comments (1)
    We need pictures to see the room.
    ...See More

remodeling 2 bedrooms to enlarging master bedroom how to view

Q

Comments (4)
    Please make sure to post here do not start another post . All pics , floor plans answers or questions all stay in this one post.
    ...See More
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just bought 1 panel to see if I like it, but was thinking 5 more which would make them 2.5x as wide as the wall?
    I wish it needed to be hemmed so we could do away with the grommets, but no such luck.

I see the green in the picture now you've mentioned it but the wall color is definitely not green! So weird how hard it is to photograph. I attached the swatch.

The wall at the foot of the bed is the one with the dog crate in the original picture. I'm just not really sure I can do a bench under the painting and idk what else to put there to balance a painting floating on the wall? Do I need anything? I can still do a chair in the corner...

thanks again for your help!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Yup, 2.5 x the wall width sounds good. Do you have the drapery rod?

Your paint swatch is looking like a nice grey on my screen. :) I tell ya, phone pic + lighting + screen = tricky colour to trust. :)

I see the wall now. Well, the painting looks on the small side for it and might look a bit lost on that empty wall but you be the judge. Perhaps you'd rather wait until the end to figure out where you want it? I'm not one to add things just to fill up a wall but is there anything useful that could go there besides the chair in the corner? How much space do you have between the bed and the wall?

Would a narrow console/vanity table make sense? A rustic shelf to hold perfume or candles? Or even a larger storage piece for linens, etc.? Only if it's useful, otherwise it's clutter and that does not make for a nice master bedroom retreat!

Where will you be placing the dog's bed?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Scanning the first forum page and spotted a post about mantels. That might be an interesting feature on that wall. A decorative mantel? Depending on the space and dimensions of the room, of course. It wouldn't be useful beyond making that wall a feature for you in bed but that might be an option: seeing that whole wall as a decorative opportunity. Perhaps something to keep in mind as you progress. There was a mantel pic among the ones Irene shared above and I found these under "French country" or "shabby chic".

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I see nothing wrong with your current paint, and if you know the name then....tell. Maybe same hue but brighter - lamp is 24 high, and I like the rounded shape like the chandelier's.

3-Piece Pinch Pleat Down Alternative Comforter Set, Purple, King · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/3-piece-pinch-pleat-down-alternative-comforter-set-purple-king-prvw-vr~93745479[(https://www.houzz.com/products/3-piece-pinch-pleat-down-alternative-comforter-set-purple-king-prvw-vr~93745479)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Here's 2 neutrals and you could do without shams I suppose - are you covering wood floor? This with jute rug and soft color?

Surya Heiress 13x19x4 Green Pillow Kit Rectangle · More Info

Velvet Pillow With Beadwork, Teal and Gold, 14"x20" · More Info

• everdebz
    5 years ago

This has textured look of rustic but not too much?

Tailored bedskirt - would charcoal add to touch of glam - but against the wood floor?

Mosaic Table Lamp · More Info

Obsidian Mist Decorative Accent Throw Pillow · More Info

Arturo 3pc Queen Duvet Cover Set in Natural/Charcoal Q331003Q · More Info

Becky Cameron Premium Ultra Soft Bed Skirt Dust Ruffle, Black, Full · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/arturo-3pc-queen-duvet-cover-set-in-natural-charcoal-q331003q-prvw-vr~75500720[(https://www.houzz.com/products/arturo-3pc-queen-duvet-cover-set-in-natural-charcoal-q331003q-prvw-vr~75500720)

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks tartan me up! I actually had played around with the idea of a mantel and maybe I should just go with it! It's a pretty narrow space, I think anything more than 12" deep would be too intrusive into the room.
    The dog has actually taken up residence in the little corner closet, he loves it so we just took the door off . I'll try to get some more pictures of the space tomorrow.

Everdebz, it's BM Stormy Monday. We weren't really planning on a full rug, maybe a runner.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Your art seems rainy, and is it Prague? is your glam any metallic threads?

This is only 24" tall -

Krystal Crystal Table Lamp · More Info

Glamour Square Gold-White 17.5" Throw Pillow · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/glamour-square-gold-white-175-throw-pillow-prvw-vr~54958620

[https://www.houzz.com/products/krystal-table-lamp-prvw-vr~57290803?lid=27342956[(https://www.houzz.com/products/krystal-table-lamp-prvw-vr~57290803?lid=27342956)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Your art's deep moody colors are lovely: purple, blue - this comes in blue too:

Lavelle 25" Glass Table Lamp, Set of 2 · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/lavelle-25-glass-table-lamp-set-of-2-prvw-vr~112758031

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Let teal be the art's river, but touchable.... sold in black also / rustic glam somewhat? I like that idea alot. :)

Velvet Pillow With Beadwork, Teal and Gold, 20"x20" · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/velvet-pillow-with-beadwork-black-and-gold-20x20-prvw-vr~56137076[(https://www.houzz.com/products/velvet-pillow-with-beadwork-black-and-gold-20x20-prvw-vr~56137076)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I love those first lamps you posted, everdebz. (You always share great lamps.) I wonder how the white would look in the room. Would they be too shiny against the mirror nightstands? Perhaps it would be better to go with a more rustic option for the lamps? Liking the idea of the glass ones in colour. That might be a fun option. Good price too.

Do you have a HomeGoods or HomeSense near you, Elle? That's always a good spot for lamps.

How lucky your dog cooperated by finding an "out of the way" spot! :)

• Tia M
    5 years ago
    Commenting so I can follow your progress.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I like trying to combine product ideas - this is nice called 'swan lake' bit of elegance.

Swan Lake Square Cover Only, 20x20 · More Info

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That's a great pillow. She'll be needing that type of texture on the bed, I think.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Here's BM Stormy Monday and in photo ya can see variations. Does you room face S or W? Your floor is possibly more amber, and you could repeat that as long as walls are so neutral, but cause opposite of egg yolk, vibrant?

Rizzy Home Window Panel, Yellow · More Info

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the ideas. The room faces north but I almost never have the shades drawn (faces neighbors house)
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

'''morning --I don't see current curtains which seem dark from here....

Or with plain bedding these type curtains with glam? but I forget .. this might not blend with ceiling light.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/modo-metallic-geometric-grommet-top-curtain-panels-natural-54-x-96-set-of-2-prvw-vr~82307149[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modo-metallic-geometric-grommet-top-curtain-panels-natural-54-x-96-set-of-2-prvw-vr~82307149)

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

>>following >>

• everdebz
    5 years ago

With moon art, the metallic curtains I posted could be a 'cool' looking combo...

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK so we decided to keep the paint. I've tried a bunch of samples and honestly there's none I like better. I think the problem is that the room has little natural light (on purpose). So the purple in the paints just don't really come out, unless you go Barney purple, which I don't want. And I think the darker color is cozy. So I'm thinking doing lots of purple accents in various shades will help bring it out?

So we are onto bedding!
    I'm super picky about bedding quality/feel/texture and husband is a sweater, lol. So I'm thinking linen, tencel, or bamboo. Is linen too much with the linen texture headboard?
    For the sheets- maybe a charcoal or is that too dark?

PS thanks for the suggestions everdebz but I'm not really a fan of yellow at all. Is there another accent color you'd recommend? I was thinking of doing a gold curtain rod and maybe gold metal on some other accessories?

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've also been thinking about art. I love the moon paintings but am not sure they're a good fit for the room anymore? They might be a bit too high to leave over the headboard too.
    We have the first two canvases and I love them. Not sure if they go together. I was thinking of a flower picture like these ones? I love the lilac one because lilacs are my favorite, but I'm worried the black background is too dark.

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago
    Love all the bedding you shared, Elle. Not sure about which materials would be cooler because I’ve only ever used cotton. Perhaps someone with experience with flax and bamboo can chime in. Love all the colours and textures though - you’re definitely on the right track.

Art is so personal. It’s got to speak to both of you. I like the flower photos and think they could be interesting with a large mat and modern rustic frames. Love the shot with that white brick wall. Many options would look good.

As for an accent colour, I’m not sure there’s a need for one. Your palette is shades of purple paired with rustic and glam neutral touches (gold, cream, wood...). Coppery tones look good with purple. Brown, grey, greens...Focus on your textures and mood first and then see if the room needs a touch of an “accent” colour. Perhaps all it would need is a couple of touches of that colour (e.g. coral jewel box, vase...).
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the input! I've used both bamboo/tencel and linen before so I know I'm good with both textures. It's more about whether I should lean silky (bamboo) or more rustic (linen) with the bedding?
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Either would work. Were you planning on extra pillows or shams? You can do a different texture for those.

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for the help so far everyone! Really excited it's coming along. We ordered our new mattress (Helix) and the bedding today.
    I ended up going with the pottery Barn Vanessa duvet, which is tencel so it has a bit of sheen, and it has a damask pattern. For the sheet I went with an eggplant colored tencel.
    Finally it's coming together!

Next on the priority list is lamps. What do you think of a wall mounted lamp, since our nightstands are on the smaller size? Its pretty important to us to be able to dim the lights for nighttime reading, so that's an added bonus.
    No idea what color to go with. The nailhead trim on the headboard is a shiny silver. The chandelier is oil rubbed bronze. We had talked about doing gold curtain rods but now I'm afraid that's too many metals?

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    PS tartanmeup, I was planning on doing 3 euro shams and then the 2 pillowcases. I know more than that will end up living on the floor. But perhaps velvet for the euro shams??
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I'd set everything up before deciding on the lamps and accessories. Go back to your inspiration pictures to stay in tune with your vision.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

The nightstands are mirrored ones right? as suggested wait for the lamps..

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cheryl, yes the nightstands are mirrored.

I will be patiently impatient on the lights :) just excited to see it moving along after months of saving.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

How are things, Elle? Have you set up your bed? I was looking through the blog Desire to Inspire and came across this bedroom which reminded me of your rustic glam vibe. Thought perhaps the clothes rail (?) could be an interesting way to "fill" the wall at the foot of your bed if the mantel idea doesn't work. Of course, there is a risk it could look cluttered and not very "design". Here, the walls are white and the clothes and bags make for a nice contrast against the wall. Still, thought it might be worth sharing in case it sparks ideas. Maybe you have a collection of scarves, hats, bags, necklaces...?

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks Tartanmeup! I do quite like the clothes rail, but I'm afraid if I were to do it it wouldn't at all look like the picture lol. I don't really have many "display worthy" items.

I (ok husband) did set up the bed and am in heaven. I know a king is only a foot wider than a queen but I feel like I'm floating in luxuriousness. I mean, not being on a broken Ikea mattress on the floor is a good step already. But the king takes it to next level.

I keep meaning to post pictures than then I don't. I'll do it right now...
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok here are the pictures!

I love the bedding but had forgotten how wrinkly tencel can get just from sleeping on it, so don't mind the wrinkles lol.

I'm feeling a bit torn on the euro pillows. I got down ones because I like to use the second pillow as a backup pillow, but I feel like they're a bit too floofy/unruly?

The painting just so happened to fit on the hook we already had up for the other art. I love it but think I might move it to the foot of the bed since it's so big?

I also splurged a bit and got myself this owl essential oil diffuser to replace the ugly plastic one. I really sleep better with one going, but it feels like my nighstand is a bit jam packed now?

I also tried to get the purple curtains in the corner of one shot. Do we like these / should I order more, or do I need something softer/lighter?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

The bed looks great! And yes, a king feels luxuriously spacious. Can't advise you about the pillows but do love the purple.

Are you still thinking of doing sconces for lamps? That would free up some space on your night table. Of the ones you posted, I like options 1, 3 and 4. The owl is adorable! The painting looks fine where it is.

Yes, I'd add a panel to the curtains. Fullness there looks better, imo. And you want them installed wide to cover the outside edge of your window trim when closed. I forget, do you have a blind under the curtain? If the curtains aren't there for light control, you can some texture there for the rustic element - a linen, for example.

Btw, I was on the Pottery Barn site and they have some throws on sale right now if you were looking to add one to your bed for more texture.

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was thinking of doing curtains the whole width of the wall. The one I have up now is a shiny / glam element I'm just wondering if I need to go more rustic.

I was thinking of sconce #1. I'm a bit worried about adding another metal color, it also comes in nickel, but I do like the copper...
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh, and I have a blackout blind on the window.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I wouldn't worry about introducing another metal. It's done often and looks great. Just make sure you can return whatever buy in case you don't like it.

I think you should go rustic for your curtain. Really like the very first inspiration pic you posted - I'd be going for that look. Maybe not a pocket rod curtain but that casual linen. Just make sure it doesn't look like the only rustic element in the room. Not sure about a whole wall of curtains. Can be interesting when done on the headboard wall to detract from asymmetrical windows, for example, but otherwise, what would be the point here? Not a good idea, I don't think, if you're getting curtains with any sheerness to them.

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I do like that first inspiration picture a lot but worry about it (or any sheers) in reality. We have one tiny window centered on that wall and the blind is always pulled. If we open it we look at the neighbors lol. So idk if sheers will just show the yucky blacked out window through it?
    Anyway that was kind of my reason for thinking an entire wall - to make it look more hotel like and less like one blacked out window with curtains over it, lol. But I can see why it wouldn't be good.

I found this white linen curtain on sale, what do you think? Linen curtains are also tough because of the price (and how cheap looking the knock offs are)
    https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/monique-lhuillier-miranda-velvet-trim-drape/
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This one in amethyst is pretty much a dead ringer for the inspiration picture...
    https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/classic-belgian-flax-linen-drape-collection/?pkey=e|amethyst+curtai|2|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

Looking good Ms Ellen :)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I understand your window issue now. I'm not keen on bare windows for a bedroom either. I have simple white sheers with a blackout blind in mine. When the blind is open during the day, the sheers are there to filter the light and offer some privacy. I rarely open the sheers.

How about a double rod for sheers and something more textural on top that could dress the window sides? Don't know if that option was suggested upthread but I don't see a picture for it. There is the roman blind with sheers option Irene posted.

Perhaps you'd appreciate an in-home consultation? I know a few companies offer free window treatment estimates. There are all sorts of options that exist out there. You might want to see what the optimal option is for you and see what kind of chunk of change it would cost you before trying to navigate the ready-made options.

The two curtains you linked to would look fabulous. I'm partial to hanging curtains with rings as shown in the first curtain pic you shared.

• Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sold on the purple linen look curtains after staring at them all day, lol. But I agree its not enough to do those unlayered.

We just have a white vinyl roller blind for the blackout shade, maybe that's part of my reluctance to leave it exposed, even under sheers. What does your shade look like when drawn?

I've been looking at Roman shades and kind of digging some funky geometric patterned black and white ones. Could I layer that with the purple ones? Would you add sheers over the Roman shade?

I also like what Irene posted with the shade + sheers, but with the dark wall color I'm afraid you wouldn't even really see the sheers.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Yup, white vinyl roller blind here too. Roll it up all the way during the day; can't really see it under the sheers. It was the easiest and most affordable option when we moved in. Our window is fairly large and I couldn't find a lot of affordable ready-made options. Later on, I had sheers made and hung on a nice drapery rod with rings.

I think you could layer a roman shade under the purple linen, as shown in Irene's pic. You'd need a colour darker than your wall colour, I think. Could you buy a few colours and see what looks best in your room?

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    5 years ago

I really like the idea of layering purple under a black and white patterned Roman shade! What about something like this:

And if you're checking out Rollers, these room darkening shades in Lillian Silver would go great with the decor in your bedroom if you're partial to flowery patterns:

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Hi I just wandered into Smaller Homes tonight. Hung out here years ago. I wanted to say that I really like the amethyst curtains, and that a black and white shade underneath would be too bold. You have muted color everywhere, so black and white would stand out too much. I think the shade you have, maybe with a sheer, is good. You could also maybe paint or use markers on the white vinyl shade to put a pattern or texture on it using an amethyst color, maybe adding a touch of gold if you do get gold colored lamps. Gold leaf marking pens are available.

I am about to have my swing-arm nightstand lamps installed, so I do understand their attraction. I think, however, that you need glam with your lights, so the only one I like for your room is the first one. The others are too utilitarian, not glam at all. If you need to save money, using skinny, blingy tall banquet lamps with silk or beaded shades would do the trick and use less of the coveted nightstand space.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Great ideas, Nancy! Never thought of doing a design to an existing roller blind. Not sure about the glam lamps though. She's going for a rustic glam style so I was picturing "rustic" lamps on the glam night stands. So far, I'm not seeing a lot of "rustic" elements in the room besides the headboard (linen texture and nail heads). Of course, it's about overall balance, not X amount of "glam" + Y amount of "rustic". It may look just perfect with a bit of bling for the lamps.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio