SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwwd

NEED HELP WITH FRONT DOOR!

kwwd
6 years ago

We just painted our house green and need to do something with our front door. We need a lot of glass in the door because it opens into a relatively dark room so we want as much natural light as we can get. If I had my absolute first choice, I'd get a wood door but I don't think we want to spend that money right now. We are left with painting our current front door. I've seen pics of burgundy front doors with green houses and I like those but I thought I'd see if anyone had other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (61)

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love that door!!

• loobab
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi kwwd-

You are so welcome- I am glad to be of help!

The pots that you have are very nice, as are the tall and spiky greenery already in them. It looks very striking to have pots with tall spiky things in the middle and mounds and trailing things on the edges. If you have several pots in that colorway, since good clay pots can be pricey, why not pick a door color that will harmonize with those pots, and take an empty pot with you to the paint store.

Since you live in Georgia, why not get on the email list of Southern Living magazine, it is free, and they have tons and tons of decorating and gardening and landscaping and cooking and everything. It is just wonderful, I love it!

It seems you need a bit of landscaping and surely you know that planting the dogwood, magnolia and azalea that flourish where you are will bring such a profusion of white and pink your place will look like a fairyland! Begonia will do well too.

Come to think of it, since you are in a sense, starting from scratch with all of it, I bet you could write to the magazine for suggestions, and maybe they could make you a "case study."

You know who else does that for people who write in? Have you ever seen the show on PBS Educational television called P. Allen Smith's Garden Home? He is based out of Arkansas and he talks about gardening, landscaping, decorating, cooking, etc. People write in and ask about all kinds of advice and he shows photos of their house and he gives advice about how they can enhance their place. Of course he does this for a living too, no doubtedly for a pretty penny. His kitchen is marvelous, it's a huge U-shaped kitchen with space for 7 people since he often has television production people and helpers.

There must be a local garden club where you are too, just full of people with life experience and advice to share and lots of plant cuttings to give! (Coleus is so easy to propagate, you don't even need any rooting hormone powder.)

From Southern Living:

Seasonal Flower Guide
    Spring: azalea, daffodil, forsythia mandevilla, dogwood, wisteria, bearded iris (pictured), peony
    Summer: hydrangea, daylily, gardenia, crinum, lantana, crepe myrtle, impatiens, zinnia
    Fall: pansy, aster, sugar maple, beautyberry, ginger lily sasanqua camellia, holly, autumn crocus, mum
    Winter: winterberry, Colorado blue spruce, amaryllis, Lenten rose, rosemary, saucer magnolia, flowering quince, crocus

https://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/10-best-yard-landscaping-ideas#enjoy-colorful-flowers-year-round

122 Container Gardening Ideas

https://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/creativecontainergardens#orangegreen-container-garden-image

Here I am planning out your life for you, goodness!

• Related Discussions

Need help with front door light

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all! My husband and I just painted our split level brick and shingled home a lovely shade of green (a beigy, grayish, sage of sorts), with black shutters. Naturally, our outdoor lighting now appears old and in urgent need of replacement :) The front door is Classic Burgandy, on the brick portion of the home, with crisp white trim, and one outdoor light to the left of the door. I love the Craftsman style, but as I've mentioned, it's not exactly the style of our home. Looking for a great outdoor fixture that'll look fantastic, but is under $100. Any/all suggestions are welcomed!!! Thank you in advance :)
    ...See More

New house need help with front door color!

Q

Comments (27)
    If you can narrow down your choices to three or four, I recommend buying some large plain white poster paper and painting a LARGE swatch of each test color, leaving a 2" white border around the edge so that you don't compare the color with whatever is immediately around it, but still see the color in its intended environment. This works for interior and exterior areas. Hang the swatches with painters tape in the area where you want to try it and let it stay there for a few days days while you think about it and look at it different times of day. Don't rush it! Those little Benjamin Moore paint pods are about $5 and other paint brand sample sizes are inexpensive, too. You can easily paint large swatches with the samples and the expense is minimal compared with the cost of having to do something and then re-do it because the color isn't right. You'll be surprised how different a color can look in larger quantities than on a paint chip. N.E.V.E.R pick a paint color from a paint chip or from an online picture. Monitors, cameras, and computers' calibrations, time of day, seasons, area of the country you live in- so many variables when it comes to how any color looks. It's worth it to use HUGE swatches. Paint chips really are just a start to finding the perfect color. Also, if you find a color is perfect but it's too dark you can have the paint folks mix the color at a % formula- 50% if you want it half as dark, etc.
    ...See More

Need help with front doors

Q

Comments (2)
    No just paint the front door. You want the door to be the star. Not everything else. The transoms and sidelights should match the trim on the rest of the house.
    ...See More

Need help choosing front door and shutter color

Q

Comments (4)
    Not knowing the exact shade of your peach/tan, I am showing you how a brown trim and several door & shutters colors might look. Notice that a color will look slightly different when paired with other colors. I recommend you use an online virtual paint program that most paint manufacturers have to compare and narrow your preferences.
    ...See More
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

The trouble with a red door in shadow is that it reads almost black.

Look for a color with a high light reflectance value (LRV):

I'd paint the sidelites, too.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Can you take a pomegranate to the paint store and see what color that matches? (The outside, not the seeds.)

groveraxle-what do you think of that?

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Just remember that lots of greenery and colorful plants will do nothing for you in the winter, so whatever you choose to brighten up the front entrance will have to be a permenent fixture. Love your house (and your exterior color) BTW.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Your windows have white trim and the home has off white trim or is the lighting? I'd paint the pillars out front white and add color with lovely large pots with flowers...

Sorry for the lousy mock up, but it gives you an idea even though the door is clearly off scale......

Good luck to you!

• hopingtogetfit
    6 years ago
    Still voting for yellow, but as a Baylor University grad, I’m biased (its colors are green and gold). Lol
    kwwd thanked hopingtogetfit
  • michealachampagne
    6 years ago
    I like your house I would add some white shutters and white furniture on porch I also would open up your landscaping around house by removing existing shrubbery and adding birch trees
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Adding some white shutters would certainly brighten the home, but there is no space for properly sized shutters on all but a couple of windows. Birch trees are an excellent idea with some uplighting. They look very pretty in winter as well as the rest of the year!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

What part of the country is the home is my last question??

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't know how to respond to each of these responses so I hope that you'll see this. We are in very southern Georgia - just a few miles over the Florida line. The shrubs in the front actually are flowering for most of the year. I'm not a big plant person so I can't recall what they're called. I thought they were azaleas but someone told me that they aren't (but they're obviously similar.) We have a whole row of azaleas in the back that we put in.

We've only owned the home for about 18 months so we are working as we go. We bought it because it sits on acreage and we started an animal sanctuary (you can see us on FB at Frog Song Farm Sanctuary.) Almost all of our efforts are for the animals so we don't have the energy or time to spend on landscaping that requires a lot of maintenance. I am posting another picture though that that shows some trees that are in the front of the house. They block our view of a big part of the pasture so my husband wants to cut them down. I'm o.k. with that as long as I can put some big flowering shrubs or something like that there. I LOVE dogwood trees and we have a few on the property but I wouldn't put one there because we'd have the same issue with a blocked view. I have also attached a picture of the view of our pasture that is blocked by the trees.

PS. See how much lighter that green looks in a different light?? It's not that dark! :-)

Also, we already have white rocking chairs that will go out there. I love shutters but they won't fit on most of the windows and I think they'd look funny if we only had them on some of the windows and not others. Don't you?

And, Loobab, those are great suggestions for learning more about landscape and potted plant options in our area. I will look into that. I just know that I won't be willing to spend a lot of time making it all look as pretty as the magazines because I'd rather play with my donkeys. LOL Also, I like the color of pomegranate!

And I also really like Porter Edun's suggestion of that glass door.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

One of my favorite colors with green is SW 6580 Cerise.

6573 Juneberry might be another one worth looking at.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Hi kwwd-

Maybe what you think is azalea is really bougainvillea, which have white things that stick out of them. What people think are the flowers of them aren't really flowers, they are bracts. They are kind of pointy, which doesn't matter really, they grow well without much fuss and look very nice in shades of deep pink and pinky-purple and pink-white.

I love to eat pomegranates too, but do they ever stain!

I hope groveraxle comes back, she has a great color sense, I would love to hear what she thinks about about a pomegranate color door, and she would be able to Photoshop it for you too.

I looked for a color that looked like pomegranate on the color thesaurus but couldn't find it.

Here, I'll put some up here now, maybe that will help groveraxle.

Remember I said you could contact places for help? That you do this charity work for the animal sanctuary makes you a great candidate, do try it.

U. GA @ Athens has a Landscape Architecture program, maybe their students need to take on projects, maybe your place could be a project!

Certainly that you have all these animals and need to compost and grow vegetables and all that gives you special needs, too. You can give them a call, too.

I hate to think of cutting down mature trees. Maybe you can talk to someone first. Can't it cause some serious soil erosion when you have big rains and there is nothing to hold down the soil? (Excuse me if I sound stupid.)

Here's another thought-

Do you have electric lights on either side of the door? You might want to get those. They can be the type that turn on automatically when it gets dark.

Not only do they look nice, they are very important for safety reasons.

You might also want to think about getting curtains for the sidelights and a peephole for the door.

If you are home alone at night, does the person at the door need to see that you are a female that is pushing aside the curtain at the sidelight?

Yes, you might come to the door with a weapon, but so might the other person.

That's the problem with a glass door, especially when you are a bit isolated like that.

• loobab
    6 years ago

katinparadise-

Those are very nice, and look pomegranate-ish! (You must have posted while I was writing.) I like the Cerise, it's a bit more cheerful. What do you think kwwd?

kwwd- You know you could grow a pomegranate tree if you wanted in your zone. A regular tree would be tall, 12-20 feet tall and wide and would block your view unless you planted it far out and it would take 5 - 7 years to mature and bear a lot of fruit. Instead, you could plant an ornamental dwarf pomegranate which would bear a lot of smaller pomegranates that you would not eat because they would be mostly pulp, but the tree loaded with little poms is gorgeous. It grows to 2 - 4 feet, but can be pruned to 1 foot, so it can be like a bush.

• ashtonchic
    6 years ago

Porter's door with sidelights is fab for the front of your house. If you are worried about being seen, get some one way shades to pull at night. I would use as much white on the porch as possible or a soft cream color. Here are some pics of some landscaping that I think would add some appeal to your entry. I live in central FL and I think we are pretty much like southern Georgia. The most fail safe bedding plant I have run into is Vinca Cora. It reseeds year after year and has beautiful flowers. I can usually find them at Lowes or even Walmart. Large shrubs with white flower heads are Hydrangeas. There are new varieties that will bloom all summer.

Lovely Renovations · More Info
    Stone and Plantings · More Info

• ashtonchic
    6 years ago

Vinca Cora

Vinca, Annual | Costa Farms · More Info

Vinca, Annual | Costa Farms · More Info

• loobab
    6 years ago

ashtonchic- Beautiful plant selections!

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes!! I love those plant selections too! Honestly, I'm not too worried about being seen at night. Anything can happen but we're in a safe area and we're far enough from the road that nobody can see us from the road. Also, we have a gated driveway so no one can drive up without us letting them in. The gate is more to keep our horses in but it works to keep out unwanted visitors too. LOL

• loobab
    6 years ago

kwwd- A dog with a deep loud bark helps, too!

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have six rescue dogs so NOBODY sneaks up on us!

• Kris Mays
    6 years ago

A very bright color like the above suggested pomegranate is a great idea.

kwwd thanked Kris Mays
  • gtholland
    6 years ago
    Sherwin Williams paint “ sundries tomato” is a perfect complement to your green house. P,ease check it out, I think you’d love it!
    kwwd thanked gtholland
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

I suggest increasing the size of the trim around the windows. The window array over the porch is fine, the others look rather "lost". I like your siding color.

kwwd thanked chiflipper
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions. I know I didn't originally ask about landscaping but I got wonderful suggestions that I will absolutely implement. The front porch isn't all set up like it will be with - with colorful pots of flowers, hanging baskets, and white furniture - because the painters are still working. I love the idea of the glass front door but that will likely be a future project just because painting the current door will be less expensive for now. I really like the colors suggested so we'll get some paint samples and see what works best.

And, I'll just take this opportunity to mention that there's an art to offering advice without criticizing others' choices. I've asked for advice in this forum before and sometimes just shut it down before I got any helpful tips because I felt attacked about choices I had made about things I wasn't even asking about. This is a fabulous place to get advice but when e.g. someone says "I just painted my kitchen cabinets and need suggestions for drawer pulls," please don't critique the color of the newly painted cabinets, the kitchen lighting or the counter top material unless it's to compliment them. The poster obviously likes the choices the he/she made and isn't going to repaint the newly painted cabinets because you don't like them. I doubt you'd tell a friend that you hate what they've done with their house. Please don't do it here.

I'll get off my soap box. Y'all have been great and super helpful and I really appreciate it!

• PRO
    Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
    6 years ago

Lots of great suggestions here! If you'd like some more thoughts on front door design options (using your EXISTING DOOR, not a new door), head over to our Design Services and let us help you find the perfect design to refresh your entry!

kwwd thanked Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Lovely property..... wish you luck. I think a rich plum would look very pretty, a red shade, but not a true traditional red something a bit more bright as mentioned something pomegranate or... a rich golden yellow tone with the green would look so pretty!

Torchlight by SW

Italiano Rose

• loobab
    6 years ago

Porter Edun- That Italiano Rose color is absolutely marvelous!

kwwd thanked loobab
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My only concern with going that red is that the house will look too Christmasy. You don’t think so? I love the colors. I just don’t want Christmas in July. LOL

• loobab
    6 years ago

kwwd- Christmas is a pure green and a pure red. Your house is a light green and the above color is a rosy pinky. The two together do not read Christmas at all.

If you peruse green houses on the internet plenty of them are painted in all shades of red, and aren't they lovely?

kwwd thanked loobab
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're right. Those houses are really pretty and they don't make me think Christmas colors.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I like it as well and avoiding say, "cardinal red" was my thought as I feel it's......boring and says, "Christmas".

katinparadise shows a nice color as well: SW 6580 Cerise. The Behr Italiano Rose is a lovely option to try as they both appear to have a pink tone making them not a Christmas red.

I also do love the Torchlight by SW on the house being dark green. I have a similar color on my front doors which are the same doors I did the mock up on your house with all panes and it's a golden happy yellow yet not extremely overbearingly BRIGHT yellow.

• partim
    6 years ago

What is the name of the green color that you painted the house?

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I honestly don’t know. I drove past a house that I thought was really pretty and I knocked on their front door. They were nice enough to give me an old stir stick from their painter and some sort of magical formula with numbers I could not understand. I gave that to my painter and he matched it.

• kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For everyone who was so helpful with the decision making process of painting my front door, I wanted to post pics of the final product. We will have hanging plants and some colorful plants in the pots by the front door when it gets a bit warmer but I'm really happy with the choices we made. I would have been afraid to go with the red door for fear that the house would be too Christmasy but commenters here gave me courage and I just love it. So THANK YOU very much!

And, just in case anyone is wondering... this is not a request for anyone to tell me that they hate it and I should start all over! I just thought the helpful people here might want to see the fruits of their labor. :-)

• Carol R
    6 years ago
    My vote is bright turquoise but the door only.
  • Carol R
    6 years ago
    I was a bit late for my comment but it looks great!
    kwwd thanked Carol R
  • loobab
    6 years ago

kwwd-

It looks great!

What color and company did you use?

• C Renee
    6 years ago
    Very pretty!
    kwwd thanked C Renee
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Very pretty-great choice!

kwwd thanked katinparadise
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Loobab, We used Sherwin Williams Remington Red. Thank you so much for your help! You were super helpful! We are now painting our barn to match our house but we're planning to tackle our living room shelves that I talked about in another post! I'll keep you posted on that too. Whether you want to see it or not. LOL!

• loobab
    6 years ago

kwwd-

Great color, and love a red barn, that's a classic!

Oh, that was you with the shelves? I didn't realize!

What a lot of projects!

Yes, I'd like to see them all!

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Good choice the door looks good and so do the dogs! I do have a small suggestion. Push the pots aside a bit so the sidelights are fully shown.

kwwd thanked emmarene9
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good idea! Thanks!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Looks great and love your choice with the chairs.

kwwd thanked Porter Edun
  • Marmel
    6 years ago
    I think a cranberry red door would look great and would add pizzaz to front entry. Some bright flowers such as geraniums and ferns in decorative pots would add interest.
    kwwd thanked Marmel
  • Marmel
    6 years ago
    Well I was late but love what you did
    kwwd thanked Marmel
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    The combination of roof colour and wall colour gives you a leaden mass. Paint the two larger gable to match the columns and give the house some definition. Keep the whole entry area light to allow a bright front door to have some impact (doing that means that the door colour doesn’t have to be so green-sensitive).
  • kwwd
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No. I already said this was the finished product. I only posted it to show those who made suggestions earlier. I am thrilled with the final result.

• ashtonchic
    6 years ago

You made a great choice! Lots of curb appeal.

kwwd thanked ashtonchic
  • kerry062
    last year

I know this an old post, but wondering what color green is on the house?