SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_sprenger

Combining under-cabinet and can lights on same switch?

Dan Sprenger
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm in the early stages of a kitchen remodel, trying to plan out the lighting which I will be wiring myself. I haven't seen anything about other people doing this but I'm tentatively planning to put the under-cabinet lights (UCL) and the can lights on the same dimmer switch. I feel like it would be better to just have them both on anytime you're in the kitchen.

In the drawing below, the red switch would control the red can lights and the green UCL, and the blue switch would control the blue can lights (small dining area). I think it would be a mess to add a 3rd switch there. I suppose the other option would be to add a single switch in the backsplash. But I feel like the UCL would be under-utilized in that case. One important note is that we are likely to sell in the next 1-2 years.

Thoughts??

Lot of people seem to commenting on the design layout...we're trying to make the best with the space we have available. Kitchen needs to be bigger and more open. Here is a more 3D drawing...call me crazy but I think it works.

Comments (6)