SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teapotter_gw

fluorescent under cabinet lighting - all on or additional switch?

teapotter
16 years ago

The planning and progress for my kitchen remodel has been ever so slow but cabinetmaker and contractor have finally been hired. The info I get from talking with both of them is that "most people" go Xenon for under cabinet lighting. When I went shopping, the only working display at a lighting store that allowed a comparison between fuorescent and halogen/Xenon strip or puck lights had pretty much sold me on the fuorescent. Fluorescent just seemed to give more light.

The layout for my kitchen will have cabinets on 2 opposite walls, so will have 2 corner cabs with a window in between. My kitchen is not large. I am not sure of the exact distance between these two cabinet walls at the moment but oven door and dishwasher door would almost touch if opened down at the same time. My designer strongly recommended having all the cabinet lights come on with the flick of one switch. The contractor strongly recommends that the lights for the two opposite walls be controlled with two separate switches. I am not sure if cluttering my backsplash with another switch gives me enough benefit to go that way. Anyone have a similar situation and how did you do it, all-on or separate switches? Any thoughts on pros or cons of the two possibilities?

Comments (7)