SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cam06_gw

T5 Fluorescent Under Cabinet Lighting - need help

cam06
16 years ago

After reading about the "improved fluorescent" light on this forum I would like to use it in our kitchen remodel. However,after doing my own research to find a product I find I am confused about the technology and not sure what to get. My electrician, though good, is not a help. Also there is no store near me where I can see the differences in the light.

My kitchen remodel is in progress. I will be using a frosted glass backsplash and a polished dark countertop(Lagos Blue Ceasarstone). I am concerned about reflection but figure there is not much I can do about it and it will be a problem no matter what type of lamp I use.

I have incandescent recessed light in the ceiling (not halogen). I need a 22" unit and a 46" unit for under the cabinets.

Juno and ALKCO were recommended products in previous posts. What I don't understand is the technology of the lamps vs. the fixture. e.g. If I look at ALKCO's LINC or Little Inch fixture, there are 3 different types of lamps - Standard, Premium, and High Output. Is the fixture the same for all these and only the lamp varies or does the fixture have to be different for the Premium T5 and different for the High Output T5? And by the way, which one would be better for my application. Are the HO and Premiums too bright??

ALKCO and Brodwax are the only companies that I have seen so far which do distinguish among the T5 lamps. That further confuses me - would a a fixture like the Juno UFL22 and UFL46 work just as well with the right lamp for my application? Am I limited by the fixture? Will all T5s fit into all fixtures made for T5's?

In a prior post David recommended using a lamp with a CRI above 82 and a CT of 3000. Just as an aside would a 4100K lamp work better with the glass backsplash rather than the 3000K?

To further compound all of this, the ALKCO seems to be very difficult to get unless you are working with an architect - I'm not. It also takes 2-3 weeks to order and I am running out of time.

Brodwax's Inch light does not seem to use the High Output lamp - I think only the standard. The Super Sleek does have the High Output lamp but a very small lens which could be a problem with reflection. Also seems to require a special box to hardwire rather than direct line volt connect.

I hope this post has made sense and would really like to get this resolved. I feel like I am spinning my wheels and am tempted to take the contractor's recommendation of Xenon and be done with it!

thanks,

carol

Comments (8)