SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Power Compact, T-5, Normal Fluorescent, VHO or Metal Halide?

mrs.b_in_wy
14 years ago

My cousin's den has several floor-to-ceiling, south-facing windows, and she can keep tomatoes producing nearly year-round. Some of them inevitably give up during the shortest days of December, though, so I started half a dozen new seedlings for her in mid-January. She planned to take them two weeks ago but decided she'd better wait until she comes back from helping her folks with calving. That means I'm babysitting them (the tomato seedlings, not my aunt and uncle) until the end of March.

The tomatoes have seemed perfectly happy about sharing the aquarium's light (65-watt, 6,700k power compact). I needed to pot them up again today, though, and didn't want to put that much weight on the glass top of the fish tank. After I scrounged around in the basement, the tomatoes now are under a PC fixture with a 65w, 6,700k bulb and a 55w, 10,000k bulb. From reading various posts here, I gather this isn't ideal for land plants.

So...

While scrounging, I found a few 65w actinic (420nm, I think) power compact bulbs. I could swap out the 10,000k bulb for one of these.

Or...

There's a 34" double T-5 fixture down there. Both bulbs are actinic, 21 watts each.

Or...

There are half a dozen 2-bulb 4' shop lights (normal output fluorescent).

Or...

There's a 440w VHO hood (48" x 18") with two 10,000k and two actinic bulbs in it.

Or...

Lastly, there's a 6' MH reflector with three 250w or 400w (forgot which) bulbs in the garage. Seems overkill, but my mother always told me my middle name was "over do" :)

Anyway, given my odd variety of options, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping six tomato plants going for another month? Hopefully, I can keep the electric bill under control as well as use whatever I band-aid together for my own transplants several weeks from now.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations