SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpaulj

So Cal shady front entry needs help!

dddd jjjj
6 years ago

Lots of graduation parties this summer means my front entry in Ventura County needs some attention. The insets along the long garage wall (west-facing) to the right of the sidewalk no longer are successful with my two jasmine plants on trellises. Perhaps the birch trees to the left of the sidewalk provide too much shade in the summer...?

I'm looking for ideas on what to plant in those 2 west-facing alcoves that are in shade in the summer and sun in the winter. Ideally I'd like something that will grow taller than the (sad-looking) trellises that are there now but not provide shelter for the neighborhood squirrels, rats, rabbits or occasional snake. Unfortunately, planting flowering annuals only provides an overnight feast for the rabbits.

The larger area to the left with the birch trees will remain the same with pink-purple azaleas, bird of paradise that have never bloomed and purple tiny Johnson geraniums.

Would iceberg roses work? Bougainvillea? Any other thoughts? I need it to look beautiful right after Memorial Day.

Thanks Houzzers for your ideas!

Comments (15)