SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Austin Sizes in So Cal/Compact, Front of the Border Austins

Hello again!,

I hope everyone is doing well. My mother loves Austin roses and would like to extend out a border with one variety. There is space for probably 4 of the more compact Austins. I have no idea how large these get here in So Cal., but I don't see mention of any of these as climbers at the very least. As always- mild, coastal, essentially winter-less conditions.

She is particularly interested in:
Munstead Wood
Ambridge Rose
Tamora (I've read of rust issues on the coast, but it sure was the right size at the Huntington)
Crocus Rose (syn. Emanuel)
Princess Anne
Windermere
Charles Darwin

She prefers Munstead Wood of these I believe, but info on any of their growth habits here would be much appreciated. She acquired a Twilight Zone this year, so besides that and Ebb Tide, are there any purple or very dark reds that can go purple you all can recommend? I believe she's also seeking a very full double bloom, so IHT isn't in play despite it being a healthy, dependable rose by reputation.

Besides these, are there any Austins, OGRs, or other similar styled modern roses that would stay compact here and are either dark purple, apricot, or creamy colored that you would recommend?

I don't have any strong desire for Austins, but she seems to hold them in higher regard than most OGRs or other moderns on the whole. The garden got a little out of hand for a few years during a time when she was too ill to do much out there, I was in college, and my Dad has little interest in gardening. However I'm now back in Los Angeles, she's doing much better, and it has been a joy to revitalize their garden when I have very little space for gardening myself. So as much as I've been thoroughly indoctrinated with the idea that there are plenty of better types of roses for Coastal California than Austins, I'd absolutely love to give her as close to the garden she has always wanted as possible.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 15:20

Comments (23)