SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnabonnand

The Orphaned Austin

gnabonnand
14 years ago

The longer I grow this rose the more I am in amazed at David Austin's decision to end all promotion of this rose and prohibit his licensees from propagating it. PJ has it all for my small garden. Nearly thornless, globular bloom form, subtle yet rich color blending, great fragrance, mannerly growth, compact size, fast repeat, long lasting blooms that self clean themselves with no deadheading needed. Back when David Austin used to discuss PJ, in his older books, he never mentions PJ without the comment that it's not disease resistant. That may be true in England, but it's not true in Texas. So far, it's been very blackspot resistant here, no powdery mildew, and best of all it doesn't ball very much even though it's packed full of petals.

If you have lots of garden space, there are plenty of more vigorous, big, sprawling, beautiful Austin roses from which you can select. If you have a small space for a garden, and you don't have a climate that is anything like the UK, this one is a treasure, in my opinion.

'Pretty Jessica' growing alongside 'Provence' lavender in my small backyard garden off the patio:

{{gwi:209983}}

{{gwi:209985}}

{{gwi:209986}}

{{gwi:209987}}

{{gwi:209989}}

Comments (35)