SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_42918661

Anyone get anything or doing anything for Valentine's Day?

User
6 years ago

I received a lovely gift bag from a lady friend of mine. Lots of goodies: berry flavored tea, some china she got an estate sale, and three Russell Stover candies in a small heart. I ate one, and gave the other two to two of my colleagues who are directors of the undergraduate studies.

I told her we are going somewhere next week (after I get paid this coming Friday). I am going to buy her a big steak at a restaurant. She deserves it!

And most significantly, Happy Valentines Day to everyone!

Comments (64)

• eld6161
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yesterday DH and I went together to Bloomingdales to exchange a birthday gift. But....we had to drive past the shopping mall. I thought to myself "Now would be a good time to stop at the Godiva!" I guess he read my mind.

We picked out a nice box of assorted milk chocolates. He picked up a card for me that was across the way.

Later today we will exchange cards and dig into the box of chocolates. We used to go out to dinner, but now I'm past it.

ETA: Amylou.....show off!!!!! :) Beautiful flowers and cute gifts.

Littlebug, what lovely roses.

Scott, nice of you to share your bounty.

ETA ((((Phoggie)))))

User thanked eld6161
  • User
    6 years ago

Phoggie, I will be holding your hand today...

If it helps, when I feel like you do, I find that Barnes and Noble is my place....There are people. I don't look silly for being alone. I can get lost in a book. I can convince myself that I had to go for something (Isn't there ALWAYS a reason to go to a bookstore?)...Plus coffee and lemon pound cake...

User thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Are You Doing Anything Special for Valentine's Day?

Q

Comments (24)
    We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day. I don't care for the overly sentimental cards and it's hard to enjoy roses or other flowers if you know they've jacked the price up. We didn't even celebrate it when we were newlyweds. But...my DH's car died and after calculating the cost of repair combined with the 150,000 miles on it we opted to buy a new car. So yesterday we decided to take a nice drive into the country and made reservations at a great little pub, restaurant and brewery. It was thoroughly enjoyable and neither of us mentioned the 'Valentine' word.
    ...See More

Doing anything special for National Scrapbook Day?

Q

Comments (12)
    My CM consultant is having a crop from 9-3 with raffles and stuff but my neice (who also happens to be my godchild) is making her First Communion so I have to go to that instead. SEcretly, I'm bummed. But I guess I can't complain since it's a pretty big day for a little girl and she only does it once. I want all the details of what everyone did when I get back! :) Oh, by the way Pam, it's May 6th and a lot of scrapbooking stores are having big sales and stuff. Worth looking into!
    ...See More

Is Anyone Doing Anything Exciting Today?

Q

Comments (20)
    I looked for job openings for about 3 hours this afternoon, sent off a couple of resumes. Went to Ace hardware for their $1 days. I got 2 butt buckets for DD, a dish soap, a eyeglass repair kit, and 150 count box of Kleenex. I had a $5 rewards card, and spent 54 cents total. The kleenex kept ringing up .29 ea instead of $1, and I told them I would take all they had. lol....I was a good sport and waited while they fixed the scanner. We had a good giggle over it. Then off to the grocery. Glad to be back home, it is really hot out today, now it looks like is going to rain. Yea!! Gave Buffy some fresh water and a hug, now I am inside on the computer. Done for the day. Trin
    ...See More

Does anyone use anything except Shaker-style cabinets these days?

Q

Comments (96)
    "2: The pull issue is still in question. The holes in my cabinets are 3" apart - but if you look at my photo above, you can see the fading. (the pulls extend beyond where the holes are) I don't know if the painter can do anything without striping them. I like hardware like this — but even if there was not fading issue, these particular ones wouldn't work b/c they don't come in 3" whole spacing." This site allows you to use the search function by selecting your pull size (center to center) then you can select a pull you like and look at the length of the pull. Select a pull with 3" centers but a length long enough to cover the faded areas. As an example..I have used this pull and it is a beautiful pull. It has 3" centers but is 4 5/8" long. How long is your faded area? https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=269021#productOption2
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

no & no

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Scott...would you care to expand???

Is there a possible romance in the air??? Inquiring minds want to know...

User thanked User
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Shrimp & Grits @ fave seafood restaurant.

User thanked bossyvossy
  • User
    6 years ago

He's quite lovely, really...

User thanked User
  • schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

Card sent to me by my former co-worker, neighbor and card buddy. Last night another neighbor brought me up a small plate of iced sugar cookies decorated with red sugar. That's about it.

User thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I heard from the kid so now my day is complete :-) As with 99% of the younger generation, she communicates almost entirely by texting but that's fine with me. She is still able to convey her love by text! Unfortunately, her SO is not very demonstrative at all and tends to ignore almost all holidays so nothing special going on for her either. When you are only 27 and in your first "serious" relationship, Valentine's Day should be special!!

User thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Georgysmom
    6 years ago

We usually have heart- shaped meatloaf for Valentine's day. Been doing that since the early 70's. However, my DD and SIL happen to be in town at the moment and they invited us over for dinner. I baked my DH's favorite cookies (pecan bars) for him. He was going to go out today in which case I probably would have gotten some flowers from Trader Joe's but didn't get off his butt. After 59 years, it's not a necessity. Happy Valentine's day Scott and everyone else, too.

User thanked Georgysmom
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    6 years ago

Since my husband passed away 4yrs ago I usually feel really bad on Valentine's day. I'm not doing too bad today. Either I am getting used to it or it is because I went out to lunch today with some friends from high school.

User thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

We don't do anything for Valentine's day...which is okay by me. What we are doing today....we are in Bastrop, TX, about 2 1/2 hrs. from home, picking up a cannon. Yes, a cannon. My husband's brother made it and when he died, and sil sold the place, she gave it to my husband. I have no desire to own a cannon..... I hope we can sell it. Anyone want a cannon? It really does fire.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I'll have to say that a cannon - and a working one at that - is one of the more unusual Valentine's Day gifts I've ever heard of..........

User thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • KennsWoods
    6 years ago

I helped a friend who has a small flower shop with deliveries. The reaction from some of the recipients was priceless, kinda made my day. As for me personally, not doing anything special. Being as it's Wed it's spaghetti night, so that's what I'll make for GGS.

User thanked KennsWoods
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

Gosh no, never. Everything is a money-grab, from cards to dinners.

I will make a nice meal this weekend for him, which suits us both just fine.

Today was spent doing his first radium treatment at the hospital. We found out a couple of weeks ago that his oral chemo pills aren't working, that the bone c. is spreading.....not a lot, but there are more spots.

Thankfully, it hasn't spread to any lymph nodes or organs! So he's a perfect candidate for this treatment combined with his monthly bone injections.

The drug comes from Holland, and we HAVE to make sure we keep the app't as it costs $5,000 each injection, and it's brought in specifically.

User thanked Jasdip
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Wishing him well, Jasdip. Such an incredibly stressful time for you both.

Well Jody asked me if I wanted to drive by "our" place in Centerville. I said what will people think with us hauling a cannon around? He said they will start dragging out their Confederate money. Sometimes he can be almost funny.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Prayers for you and your DH, Jasdip.

User thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • User
    6 years ago

Echoing all of the good thoughts for you and your husband, Jasdip.

User thanked User
  • Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I picked up a box of Godiva chocolates at Costco the other day for dh and some other boxes of chocolates for the kids. Dh got me flowers and heart shaped box of chocolates. I needed gas so for fun we went to Bucee's (Texas gas station) wearing matching Buccee's t-shirts and got a couple of their bbq sandwiches, No. We don't usually dress alike. We only did it today to be silly.

User thanked Adella Bedella
  • sonni1
    6 years ago

My daughter made chocolate mini heart cakes for her friends last night. So I'm cleaning the kitchen!

User thanked sonni1
  • glenda_al
    6 years ago

Enjoying a date almond roll! That's it :o)

User thanked glenda_al
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Nope. We're still newlyweds but we don't do any gifts anymore. We have too much "stuff" as it is. We're going to a nice restaurant this weekend for a combined Valentine's/Birthday celebration. I'm excited, and saving up my calories!

User thanked Chi
  • Michael
    6 years ago

We planned a lunch date at Wine on High, but the baby grandson was sick so we kept him for the day so mom and dad could work. We spent the day together and saved $100.

User thanked Michael
  • mary3444
    6 years ago

We don't go out to eat but I made hubby one of his favorite meals. Chicken Parm. with spaghetti. For dessert it was homemade tiramisu which takes quite a while to make but well worth it.

User thanked mary3444
  • dedtired
    6 years ago

I bought flowers for my mother and a cookie for her and one for my son. My sweetie gave me a cupcake and I bet I get flowers before the evening is over. I got a cookie for him, too!

User thanked dedtired
  • terilyn
    6 years ago

Got these beauties in a gorgeous velvet box. Did the school Valentine party, I'm tired! Having a glass of wine now!

User thanked terilyn
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

We don't do anything special. DH just cooked himself a steak on the grill, I did Brussels sprouts and baked potatoes. Nothing special, just as easily could have had it tomorrow or yesterday.

I told him years ago that I'd knock him silly if he spent a bunch of money on flowers!!

User thanked aok27502
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

I have core class tonight so my DH is having left overs but I bought him a couple of pieces of his favourite lemon cake. He had a piece last night and he'll have one tonight. No chocolates for me - we still have some left from Christmas.

User thanked blfenton
  • cooper8828
    6 years ago

We'll make dinner at home. We got each other the exact same card!

User thanked cooper8828
  • User
    6 years ago

cooper that's kind of lovely!

User thanked User
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

We've never made a big deal of Valentines day. But dear husband did bring home some chocolate cookies for after dinner :-)

User thanked nickel_kg
  • ont_gal
    6 years ago

Sending long distance ((((hugs)))) to you Phoggie and you too Rose.

Marilyn-hubby said to let you know that he'll take your cannon..oh boy!

Jasdip-hoping this treatment helps hubby.

We went out to dinner,exchanged cards,did our lottery thing(I won a little bit) had a bit of chocolate and are waiting now at home for our fav tv show.

No flowers here-I am having too many allergy issues lately to even think about having flowers around currently...but all in all,a fine day!

User thanked ont_gal
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Jasdip healing well wishes for your hubby.

We had to go to Costco to get a TV. We lost ours and didn't want to take the one out of the motorhome. I saw a pretty black leather tote purse I was admiring and he said happy valentines and put it in the cart. It's my first new nice purse. The TV is for both of us. Ate a sandwich at Jason's Deli.

My garden club ladies showed up this morning with some presents. Some of them had extras that they could give to us and then they got together and bought us some things they knew we needed. Like a house warming. I was blown away. My neighbor at the old house moved to a new house. The people offered to sell them a lot of the furniture in the house, they agreed. Turns out they not only left the house full of gorgeous expensive furniture but the cabinets and hutches are full of dishes and antiques and serving ware and pots. It's unbelievable how much stuff they left her. So she now has a lot of doubles and extras she is sharing with us. So nice to have good friends and neighbors.

Terilyn has made a generous offer of dishes. Just wonderful that people are wanting to help.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • susie53_gw
    6 years ago

I got these flowers from my hubby. It is a rare thing for him to do this.

User thanked susie53_gw
  • desertsteph
    6 years ago

We have a canon in our 'neighborhood' too. the guy used to fire it off several times a year. but since all the city folks have moved out here (new developments built - ruining the desert) - they must have complained about it.

I was fine, once I found out what it was - and it wasn't someone bombing us.

Haven't heard it for maybe 12-15 yrs tho. He might have moved away when all the building started out here.

I went down to the drugstore for some pepsi and picked up a small box of chocolate covered cherries. When I got home, I put on a pot of spaghetti soup. It's chilly and damp here today and soup sounded like the thing to make for dinner. I love it and my dog loves it too.

User thanked desertsteph
  • carabubble
    6 years ago

My husband and I exchanged cards this morning. Then this evening I made him chocolate chip cookies. Something I've done for him for several years.

User thanked carabubble
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I have a cannon story to share - and I really hate to be a Debbie Downer on this happy thread.

Our small town high school had a very active athletic booster club about 10 years ago. Somehow they acquired an old cannon that they moved to the endzone of the football field for every game and fired it off when a touchdown was scored. Not a cannonball, of course, but some kind of wad that was ejected from the cannon. It made a nice loud boom that could be heard all over town. One night a thunderstorm came up and the game was stopped. Teams were herded to locker rooms and the booster club guys scurried to secure and move the cannon. Unfortunately, it went off at pointblank range into one of the booster club guys. He was 42 and had a son on the team. A terrible, unbelievable tragedy. So please, Marilyn and Jody, be very careful.

User thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

We don’t do Valentine’s gifts but we do exchange cards. Normally we don’t go out to dinner any longer, as we find our favorite restaurant meals just aren’t the same with their fixed price menus and prices. However, there is a small place 5 minutes from our house in the country that normally only serves a country breakfast and lunch. The owner is a dear person, recently remarried a couple of years ago after being a single mom raising 5 kids, and is a true servant to this community. She cooks Thanksgiving and Christmas meals for those in need, gives boxes of food to those who need it, and on and on. So this year she decided to do a Valentine’s dinner. DH got one of the last reservations. Her proceeds will help fund a mission trip to Uganda this summer she, her daughter and a friend are taking. It was a delicious 3-course meal, home cooked, and accompanied by music provided by a couple of guys who get together to play there once a week. Perfect!

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Suzieque
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I really don't subscribe to the "Hallmark holidays" .... aka those where someone (or some company) tells us we should celebrate. My husband and I do random things for each other through the year. That said, we did go out to dinner last night and declare that we are, forever, each others' Valentines. We also exchanged nice cards (ranging between cute/funny/romantic).

As far as gifts/cards, etc. for people other than our "significant others" .... I don't get it. I thought that Valentine's Day was for romantic relationships. I don't recognize friends, offspring, other relatives, etc. as a Valentine. Seems kind of odd to me, but what do I know.

User thanked Suzieque
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

Don't worry. We are not going to fire the cannon. I hate noise...repetitive or loud noises.....can't stand gun fire or fire works or anything like that. Barking dogs send me over the edge. Alarm clocks set my nerves on edge. The cannon is now at a friend's shop. She said she thinks she can sell it for us. Sell it and more money to buy horse feed.....that is how I look at it.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

" No chocolates for me - we still have some left from Christmas."

I don't understand...how is that even possible? ;-)

User thanked Olychick
  • joyfulguy
    6 years ago
    1. I found a box of chocolates that had been under some things since last year.

Good wishes to you and hubs, Jasdip. Offering some prayers for healing of body and quietness of spirit, through these difficult times.

Also some kind thoughts to several of you for whom this time brings to the surface again some sad recollections due to losses of loved ones.

ole joyful

User thanked joyfulguy
  • Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Just another day, as usual. I did go see Lauren at her work place after I got off last night and she was wearing a cute Valentine outfit. She back working at her old sushi restaurant now. Had a roll, appetizer and expensive alcoholic drink that she basically paid for since she gets a discount. I gave her a large tip, though. Don't normally drink but have been feeling bad (just a cold I hope) and this drink you can't taste the saki in at all and it's really good.

User thanked Kathsgrdn
  • carabubble
    6 years ago

When my sons were little, we used to do a Valentine hunt. I'm pretty sure I've posted about it before. When they were done eating, I'd have them turn their plates over and taped to the bottom was a heart with a clue. That would lead to another and another. When I started, the younger boy couldn't read yet, so his clues were pictures not words. The final valentine led to a small gift, such as a pack of character underwear. I don't remember how old they were when we stopped. They each got only one thing and like I said, it wasn't something expensive or extravagant. It was just for the fun of it.

User thanked carabubble
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

That sounds like a lot of fun, carabubble.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

That sounds like a lot of fun, carabubble.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • bob_cville
    6 years ago

I was out of town at a conference in DC most of the week. On Wednesday I met up with a friend I used to work with years ago. We went out to dinner at a pizza place in his neighborhood. I got food poisoning. That was pretty special. :-(

My wife and I did a special dinner at home on Monday before I left for the conference.

User thanked bob_cville
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh no. Hope you are ok.

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

I'm ok now. Thursday though was rough, I missed most of the day's sessions at the conference, and only made a brief appearance at the evening reception at the Library of Congress.

User thanked bob_cville
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

Luckily no. No gifting. DH & I are weird. We still fall asleep holding hands...then say we aren't romantics. :0)

Bob...sorry about the food poisoning. Glad your alright.

User thanked nicole___
  • abbisgram
    6 years ago

Nothing for me... but I did buy my mom a box of chocolate covered cherries. Black cherry cola flavor and they were delicious! She'll be 88 in April and still gets out the first Valentine card that my dad got her. He passed in 2008.

User thanked abbisgram
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!