SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfg_newbie

Is there anything (else) I can do to get anything to grow?

sfg_newbie
14 years ago

I've just about had it. In 2007 I made a brand new garden with semi-raised beds (4 inches above ground and 12 inches below dug out and sifted rocks out and then refilled and added amendments). I got my soil tested and everything looked fine except for my pH which was too low so I limed as suggested on the results. I planted everything this Spring and some thing did sprout but were eaten by something that broke through my fence. The things that did survive, peppers and tomatoes, grew very badly. They had plenty of water and everything. They just WOULD NOT GROW. I put urea on them, also as suggested by the soil test service people, and it didn't help. Seriously, the peppers got to be about 8 inches tall. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to just go out there and dump large amounts of toxic Miracle Grow on there or what? The soil is clay (I'm in New England) and I mixed it about 2:1 with peat moss to lighten it up when I was sifting it back into the beds. I've added lime and urea as suggested, but it doesn't work. Should I just give up and make the mess back into lawn? It doesn't seem like anything is ever going to work. Well, unless I get some sort of industrial strength toxic nastiness to spray on.

Does anyone have anything to give me any hope?

Comments (11)