SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Pleasing Lines for Functional Mudroom Built-in

oldbat2be
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is design round two. The goal is to make this a functional and attractive space.

Current layout:

Current space:

What doesn't function about the current space is that coats are on hangers and it's evolved into a dumping area. DH hogs the few pegs and when I come in from the garage with my coffee mug, water bottle, keys, purse, coat, gloves, hat, etc., I have to put everything down in order to hang my coat up. I dislike the basket storage (have no idea what's in which one). I really like having a horizontal surface at counter height onto which to set things.

• What needs to be stored here:
    Coats (on pegs), gloves, hats, scarves
    Shoes and boots
    Broom, dustpan and dustbin
    Dog leashes, dog biscuits (open bowl for easy access)
    Bike bag
    Kleenex box
    Small flashlights
  • I'd like to include:
    Timber frame or walnut bench - somewhere to sit while putting on/taking off shoes
    Somewhere to set things down when coming into the room from garage (counter level shelf)

Here's my current design.

Broom closet on left (7" space between trim) and drawers on right (12" between trim).

This allows for tall boots (bench bottom is at 15" and is 4" tall) and a second shelf for add'l shoe storage.

I'd like clean lines (Shaker / transitional style) and am most probably over designing. DH says the bench at 4" is too thick.

What I don't have with this design is much horizontal, counter top surface. Would I get used to using the bench? How important is symmetry?

Your thoughts and input are very much appreciated.

Comments (52)

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

I would love to redesign my mudroom from scratch! (And have more space for it.) Shoe storage is always a challenge for me - you'd think 20 people lived in my house with all our shoes! Anyway here are some thoughts - per what Sophie said, maybe not so much bench and more counter. This takes away some vertical space for hanging, but some jackets and other things aren't that long. I added drawers under the counter, and space under those drawers for tall boots (my rain boots are quite tall.) If you don't need that for tall boots, then dog bowls can go there. I have a key cabinet that I love, so just in case you like the idea I added cup hooks for your keys. If there will be a door on the broom closet, the key hooks can go on the inside of that. Outlets in the broom closet and in a drawer for charging.

These are some ideas I would like - you may have different needs.

oldbat2be thanked chicagoans
  • kim k
    6 years ago

How much space do you have on that pantry wall? depth and width?

• Related Discussions

Help me with the mudroom layout please

Q

Comments (26)
    Just to chime in quickly on a few things...from a mom of now 6 boys... We had 6 beautifully lined up cubbies in our previous home...each with their own charging area...nice thought...waste of time & money in our experience. As the kids get older they charge things everywhere, but there! Even DH, he would say, "I'm on-call and need to be able to hear it." Have to agree about the doors and a large family. Not so much that they won't be abe to use the doors, but more for other reasons. The mud room cubbies take abuse, especially from a bunch of boys. They swing open, push too many things in, can get in each others way...need repaired, need cleaned, etc.!!! Coats and backpacks do not IMHO look messy when hung on hooks at all. I like having a basket/drawer for each to house their hats/gloves and another for little odds and ends (that can look messy). Best wishes on an amazing new home for your family!
    ...See More

Layout help please! Am I sacrificing too much function for style?

Q

Comments (25)
    So, let's say you turn the corner again with base cabs. Could the oven stack be on the end of that leg with the cooktop to the right of it or even in the corner? Is that wall 7'5" to the corner of the other cabinets or to the wall? Honestly and amazingly... every inch matters which is why it's so important to get the dimensions of the room exact on graph paper. I had lots of ideas about my kitchen that when I really got to the inches of it... couldn't make it work the way that I envisioned. I went through oh, so much graph paper. My gut feeling is that no matter if you turn the corner or not, that island is too long. And especially so if you turn the corner with cabs again, (which might be a good answer to some of your appliance placement issues.) I read that the architect thinks it's a 'cleaner' look without that, but it might be borking the functionality... hence your title, right? :) As it is drawn now, you've got a real pinch point between the end of the island where you want your stool and the end of the table and chairs by the sliding door. But, I'm going by what may be inexact drawings so I could be all wet on this.
    ...See More

Custom built Alder mudroom bench...crazy estimate?!?!

Q

Comments (19)
    Funny!! I was just admiring that pic on Houzz last night. I think I am going to eliminate the open shelving on the left side. That will save us nearly $600 and can be added later if we need it. The base cabinet on the right will be a 3 drawer stack. 2 deep bottom drawers perfect for the kids hats/mittens. And I will still have the open shelving on the top. I want the bottom underneath the bench to be open, because we are the type of family to just kick our shoes off, I just don't see the kids actually putting their shoes in a drawer. (Myself either ;-) Also considering removing the dividers, for the reasons you mentioned. I received another estimate today from another custom cabinet maker, and they were within about $700 for the entire mudroom. So I'm believing now, that the original estimate was not out of line. Thanks for your help!
    ...See More

please help with mudroom pantry space

Q

Comments (10)
    My question is when you come in from the garage, do you have a place for your purse? Is one of those cubbies for your use or just for the kids/pets? If the cubbies are for the kids, I would think you would want the small counter space. If one of those cubbies is dedicated to you, then you most likely wouldn't need the counter. While I am not usually a big fan of the open shelving because the clutter shows, I think doors in my mudroom might be a pain. While the kids are trying to put on their shoes, they sit, then if the cubby is open, they reach behind them and pack their backpack or search for their umbrella, etc. If the door is on the cubby, won't the open doors be hitting the person seated next to them? I do see why you want the junk contained and hidden, but most likely the only people seeing it might be you--and maybe that's one too many :), but in this case I might choose function over form. I chose cubbies for the kids and a counter for me. But, our office is right next door to this room so I can see the mail, etc being dumped just two steps further. From Menlo Farmhouse Your first floor looks wonderful! So nice to hear that you are progressing and your kitchen will be in May 16....my wood floors go in starting tomorrow and I am just crazed to get everything done. Hopefully done by June 15 or so--a belated Mother's Day present!
    ...See More
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

You could design a roll-out bench with storage below, which would seat one person at a time.

oldbat2be thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • salex
    6 years ago

+1 for what Sophie said (too much bench, not enough hooks).

If you can live without the bench, you can convert the big open area into individual vertical cubbies, where each person (depending on how big your family is) gets their own cubby with hooks at the top and shorter cubbies beneath for hats, shoes, etc. You could still put pet stuff and broom/dustpan on one end.

oldbat2be thanked salex
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I always look at these VERY expensive custom mudrooms and laugh. I laugh as I can just imagine how they would be used at DD's house. They wouldn't! Very few children (or adults!) are trainable to actually use cubbies and baskets and neatly line up their shoes. Oh, I'm sure it's possible, if one has time to stand there and supervise them doing so, time after time, after time. But no one does, and children are messy and couldn't care less. Hooks and a big counter for athletic bags. Boots? They'll still end up in a pile.

Sophie is right (again!)! Plan for your reality, not that perfect family in a magazine or catalog. They don't exist.

oldbat2be thanked Anglophilia
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

The kids might not line up their boots and shoes perfectly every time, but if you have a designated space for them, it's not too hard or time consuming to tidy the pile. And it doesn't need to be expensive. I attached an old dresser drawer to the wall under a window in my mudroom--with the bottom of the drawer against the wall, shadow box style. We line up shoes on the shelf at the bottom, keep potted herbs on the top, and boots are lined up on the floor below. They aren't always left in apple pie order, but if the shelves were not there, it would be a jumble.

No family is perfect, but mine knows where their shoes and boots are when it's time to leave the house.

oldbat2be thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sherri1058
    6 years ago

It's a mudroom. I wouldn't worry about symmetry. I agree that you have too much bench. In my house it would quickly become the new dumping ground! I do like the idea of a small rollout bench. Something else that I would consider is utilizing the opposite wall for your keys and leashes. Maybe even a small shelf for kleenex and room enough for your coffee cup / water bottle? The trick is not to have it big enough that everything else lands on it as well. Having the keys and leashes on the opposite side can also help alleviate congestion when a couple or more people are trying to access shoes and coats at the same time.

I don't mind basket storage, but I found that I had to assign each one to a person, not an object. Nobody (in my family) is going to separate mitts and hats and scarves between 3 different baskets.

The only way that I know of to make a mudroom attractive is to get rid of all the coats, boots, etc. or put doors on it (lol), but then you have another set of issues!

oldbat2be thanked sherri1058
  • barncatz
    6 years ago

In our last house, we tried vertical cubbies, like lockers, and they were too narrow to be useful. I think your unit suffers from the same issue. Have you measured the coats you plan to hang, it's amazing how bulky they can be.

We just turned our one car garage (sized for a Smart Car maybe) into a mudroom. We did put closet doors over part of it. That's where boots go. We have winter, so boots have to be raised over a tray to drain with no shoes beneath. I use one of those hanging pocketed shoe things for shoes. Our DD is grown so it's just two of us, so that works. We also moved our shredder in there, our recycling bins are also there, so it cuts down the paper that enters the house. We have a set of deep drawers and counter next to the door so I can set stuff down on top. We use one drawer for mittens, one for hats and one as a junk drawer - flashlights, batteries, knife opener thing for openjng boxes. But the real mitten/ glove solution has been this:

Anyway, I'd ditch the bench thingy altogether. Put a patio chair or stool in the corner. Use the other corner for hooks for dog leashes and a wall shelf for the treat bin. Then maybe a drawer unit or two for mittens etc under your counter, a broom closet incorporating pocket shoe storage, hooks, and something for boots.

oldbat2be thanked barncatz
  • cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

I think a spot to perch, bench or otherwise, is a good thing to have, especially if you are a shoes-off house. DM doesn’t appreciate the lack of said perch chez moi! What kind of climate do you have? I’ve got a hallway of hooks (12-14) for four people and could use more, esp in winter. DDs rain boots 18” and are by far tallest footwear in house.

oldbat2be thanked cluelessincolorado
  • herbflavor
    6 years ago

I don't know...I'm used to much larger mudrooms....not to be critical but in the space you have not sure any configuration will be as ideal as you'd want. When I look at the existing space you show, I think---- get a two tier shoe rack at the floor, put some doors on the base part of cabinet area..maybe add extra shelf to subdivide that lower cabinet area more. ...use clear totes not baskets, and label them...perhaps use sections above and below in cabinet for [ per person ]and install rollout trays with sides, for misc stuff......Put pegs/ hooks, or wall mounted shoe caddy/ or both on unused wall between stoveroom and pantry openings. I would find a small wood bench for the person who sits for whatever reason. ...it can be pushed up against the wall. The longer built in benches you show I really believe are for hallways. You have a smaller zone :it is also a crossroads with the openings...just organize it better which has not yet been done thoroughly. Re: pantry opening..why is it so wide? looks like the corner between that opening and garage door could be useful [ corners can be fabulous in these spaces] for hooks/cubbies.... if you can adjust opening to pantry, even better.

oldbat2be thanked herbflavor
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What fantastic input, thank you all! As background, there are four of us, with one in college and one soon to go to college.

Sophie - I'm still fighting the concept of this being a dumping ground but my gut instinct is to have lots of counter space, so I think your point is good. I don't want to keep using it like this; most of the junk can go down in the basement and doesn't need to live here. Agreed to less bench and more counter and sufficient hooks. I don't think I have sufficient space across the aisle but maybe I'm off?

From the garage, looking in:

sillycannoli - The suggestion about a separate broom closet is a good one, thank you for the pictures.

I seem to have two options for a separate broom closet: Option 1 - in the corner to the right of the garage door. I'd have to figure out new trim work, though. Rough opening is 17 x 6.5. I don't think I can go into the studs as this is the original exterior of the house; need to check with DH.

Option 2 - I prefer this - interior wall with some electrical work which could be fairly easily changed. (Omit outlet - have 2 others and motion sensor light could become another Haiku overhead). Possibly recess cabinet in studs.

An additional piece of information is that there is an 8" foundation wall running the length of the space. This gives me the opportunity to have deeper upper shelves (or cabinet space). I could potentially hang lesser used coats up there, out of sight.

I would personally like the idea of my own individual cubby but feel it's probably a space waster.

chicagoans - Thank you for the mock-up, nicely done,keep the ideas coming! I like the dust buster idea. Keys currently go in a bowl on one of the bookshelves on the way into the kitchen; I'm hesitant to leave the keys right next to the garage door for some reason. I have charging outlets in the kitchen (more central). A dog drawer is a definite. Seasonal bug spray and sunblock - interesting idea. Currently, bug spray is on a shelf in the garage and sun block is in the boat bag. (Hmm. Some else to think about).

kim - k: The depth is 26.25" at the bottom and 34.5" at the top. Width is 91". Height is a little under 8 feet.

mama goose - I think you've given me the most shoe storage! A roll out bench is an interesting idea. We don't actually need the bench (DH says he'll probably never use it) - but I think some sort of seating area will be useful. I liked your mock-up. Bike helmets are in the garage. The wet shoes/boots tray was a good idea - but I'm not sure we'd use it. I can state that I dislike the dirt left by dirty shoes on the current cabinets; much prefer the shoes to stay on the ground (or maybe a special carpet which can be washed or shaken easily).

salex - I could omit the bench, but I don't think individual cubbies make sense for us, as kids are almost grown. I'd rather a central place for all.

sherri1058 - Good ideas about using the opposite wall. I think it may be too narrow but I'll spend some time thinking about possible uses. Thank you also for the basket storage tips and picture. I'm determined to make this look cleaner and putting some coats behind closed doors and stuff in drawers is probably going to be better than open cubbies.barncatz: Thank you for the cubby/locker feedback. Excellent point about measuring what is going there. DH's coats are very bulky. Your garage sounds extremely organized. You are making me think about using this as an unfitted space vs. built-ins. Hmmm....

cluelessincolorado - We're in northern MA. Would you mind measuring the space in which your 12-14 hooks reside? I.E., 5', more?

herbflavor - The pantry opening is a standard doorway width - into the butler's pantry; it's possible my drawing was misleading. I really want this space to look as finished as other projects in the house so have no intention of keeping those dreadful cabinets which are currently in place! I absolutely want to keep this space better organized. I appreciate your frankness but I'm committed to turning this into a more functional and attractive space. Doors and drawers will help with some of the mess; other things I just want to be able to reach for. The bench, sigh, was just something I thought would look pretty.

Back to the drawing board - will post if I can come up with anything worthwhile.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

anglophilia - Thank you for weighing in. There's a difference between planning for how you live and trying to be more organized; I'm hoping to do accomplish both.

herbflavor - I forgot to add - your point about corners is well taken. The current corner is amazingly functional - with shelves at different heights.

Simply adding shoe storage to the bottom of this gives me the same coat storage as I currently have and most of the required shoe storage.

Then, some drawers, countertop and additional pegs in a built-in would accomplish the rest.

• kim k
    6 years ago

Have you ever checked out IKEA's shoe cabinets? We had the Hemnes one in our old house and I loved it. They hold so much yet are so skinny and there are no back legs so they sit above baseboards. I can't tell if your opposite wall is deep enough but something to consider. The top can be used for a landing area too, keys mail etc.

oldbat2be thanked kim k
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Are you able to have some auxiliary shoe storage in the garage, perhaps in something like the Ikea shoe cabinet kim mentioned?

oldbat2be thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

If I am looking at the dimensions correctly, I would do individual cubbies. You might only get 3 wide ones, but that is what I have for our family of four and it works well. We also have a bench with those cubbies, a large shoe basket underneath each one (on rollers) and a large storage cabinet for each cubbie above. This does not solve your problem for the counter space, but all your clutter would be totally hidden. My kids have not problem putting their stuff away daily. They are allowed to just toss their shoes in the rolling baskets because you can't really see into them anyway when they are tucked back in under the bench.

Also, inside the cubbies, I have 3 fishhook coat hangers. We can hang at least 6 coats in each and sometimes more.

oldbat2be thanked mom2sulu
  • wysmama
    6 years ago
    Following...
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

kim k - I haven't - off to look. Thanks!

beckysharp - We are able to store some shoes (usually boots) in the garage; good idea.

Clueless - I don't know why I haven't been pasting cabinets in - much easier than building them. Thank you for the layout and ideas.

How about this, as a layout? Left and right sides are mirrored. The broom can be hung on a peg on the left side.

With shadows to help delineate. Lines look bad but I can work on those.

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

It’s pretty and certainly satisfies the symmetry requirements, but will it be functional and give You enough show storage space?Are you wanting to stay with hangers?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

kim k - Those Hemnes are neat! Dimensions are 35 x 11.75 x 50.

mom2sulu - Your details are very helpful. I'll work up a mockup. A big part of me wants the end result to look clean and built-in, like these:

BEACHES RESIDENCE · More Info

I like the upper cabinets in this next one:

Induction Crush · More Info

I like the wall of cabinets, but would prefer a bottom where I can store taller boots. Also, no broom space. I know, design for the life you have ... :)

San Francisco Remodel · More Info

However, these lack the countertop space.

• eam44
    6 years ago

My friend, will there be tile?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

I know, design for the life you have ... :)

The life I have means no chandelier in the mud room, which I could easily with. I love that wallpaper, but I don't think I will ever have wallpaper in my house, and definitely not in a mudroom (which here on a farm has actual mud).

oldbat2be thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

This is basically what we've had for a couple years. We used two Ikea Sektion 30" wide 15" high fridge cabinets set on the floor for our mudroom bench. We topped it with a black Ikea countertop from the as-is section. Each fridge cabinet has two 30" wide interior drawers, so each family member has a shoe drawer. It works okay. I don't have a good solution for muck boots (we live in Portland and my kids play in the mud whenever there's mud.)

You'll see in the drawing's upper cabinets that there's a drawer in the bottom, in our mudroom the bottom shelves are open. We have four outlets across the back of the shelf, two in each cabinet. This works as drop zone for wallets and device charging.

In your space you have enough room for a tall cabinet, which I envy.

We tried hooks in peg board across the back of the bench area and that failed. We just added four of these top mount wardrobe hooks last weekend. So far so good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Top-Mount-Hook-in-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-17744/301013985

It's a definite Ikea hack. The gals in the kitchen dept hadnt done a bench with fridge cabs and before.

oldbat2be thanked sheloveslayouts
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

I put so many words in that previous post! This represents it better..

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

I would agree with mom2sulu that the best shoe storage is one big open basket per family member. Then shoes can just get tossed in and fished out as needed. Despite our best intentions, shoes just don't get lined up neatly on shelves in our house. Baskets make for easy shoe cleanup, the basic theory being embrace the mess and make it look planned :-).

oldbat2be thanked Kristin S
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

I adore the look of the floor cabinets, but I ruled those out for practicality purposes. I knew that I couldn't handle the scuffs/scrapes that they would eventually gain-- therefore, another reason for the oversized baskets on the floor.

Also, are you planning on painting everything white? While a white mudroom is beautiful, it will also have a lot of upkeep. There are some really beautiful mudrooms that are classic, historical colors other than white.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What do you think of this? I really like the bottom aesthetically, and think I'm there functionally, but upper shelf and cabinets are still way off. (I don't really need upper cabinets).

I'm planning for coat storage for DH and me (one each side), with a couple coats for both kids at times. Lesser used coats can go in the front hall closet (or be donated). My compromise here is a lower (top at 28"), fairly shallow (15") counter surface which allows for some coats to be stored behind or near the sides of the counter surface.

There's 16" for the shoes and boots; could store in baskets, floor, combination.

Regarding finish - I've tried to be good and focus on function and design. I'd love a pop of color but have never been able to pull the plug. Maybe this time... a painted shiplap in the back and on the sides to make it look built in?

Thanks all - I so appreciate the feedback and help!

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

We're a shoe free house and my girls and husband primarily wear lace up shoes (I wear Dansko slip ons most of the time.) It would be an even bigger production getting out the door and coming home if we didn't have our 60" bench to make shoes on/off easy.

Looking at your plan, I'm just wondering about the "workflow" of leaving/arriving home. Do you usually wear your daily shoes all day so you're not taking them off and on a lot? Maybe lace-ups are not regularly worn? Or maybe lacing up without sitting is easier than I realize :-)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are definitely not a shoe free house. I wear Dansko clogs usually - but put on trail lace-up shoes daily for walks in the woods. I'm able to lace up without sitting usually. DH interesting said he would never use the bench. There is a 'step up' from the mud room to the pantry, so that's one sitting spot - and I think DH usually laces up in the adjacent stove room. (Which goes to show that a seating spot would be used!)

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

That makes sense. We don't have a step or a chair anywhere near our little mudroom. As my folks get older (70) they definitely need a seat to lace up.

One more question... Why the 2'4" height on the lower cabinet? Too high for seating, but lower than table height.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To be able to leverage a table top surface and also not be too close to the hanging coats. It's either a good idea or idiocy! I will have to figure out actual hanging heights of coats to answer.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    6 years ago

I love this thread because I'm working on my mudroom.

That phone charger shelf? It's a flat, waist high shelf that will be covered with dumped crap. I'd put a charging shelf or drawer in a different place.

I like the lower cubbies for shoes. At least the ones not being worn the most could have a storage space. They'll end up in a pile on the floor again if you don't have some place, not too deep, to shove them.

In the closet I built, every time I hang up my (longer) coat, I wish I would remember to put in side hooks for my scarves and maybe a bag for gloves or something. I have to remember I like that.

But I'm thinking move everything over to the left and have a small hanging bar. Not everything will fit on pegs and the stuff you're not using the most (blazers, for example) could be hung up without 100 things on top of them, ruining the neck and finally falling on the floor.

In your case, a drawer for gloves and hats might be more efficient, because you'd use it more than the flashlight drawer. Speaking of that flashlight drawer. How big exactly IS the flashlight? Are you storing batteries in there? Do they need such a prominently accessible place? Do you lose power a lot, or like me, lack electricity in different rooms?

I hate baskets, too. If there's not a cat sleeping in them, the cat fur wafts into them and the contents I never look at get grossly furry. kinda like open shelving.

If you really have the space, yes upper cabinets! There would be flashlight and battery storage, shoe polish box, (does anyone polish shoes anymore?) and maybe winter storage for hats and gloves.

I'm at work and gotta go. Will think more.

oldbat2be thanked CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Btw, these are the baskets we used; they are on sale right now. Very nice quality and having the rollers on the bottom makes all the difference. Also, this will help you with the dimensions.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/jacquelyne-rattan-recycling-bin-baskets/?catalogId=84&sku=4638805&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Organization%20%3E%20Bins%20%26%20Baskets&kwid=productads-adid%5E202405455838-device%5Ec-plaid%5E401672770290-sku%5E4638805-adType%5EPLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8viwyJet2QIVhbjACh2RigOdEAQYASABEgKchfD_BwE&cm_ite=[[PLA]%20-%20Good%20Desktop]

Your last design is really nice. But....last time I will bring this up...are you sure you don't want some doors to hide the clutter? It would still be quite accessible.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mom2sulu - That is a beautiful basket, I think I may order one! Did you mean doors in the upper area? I can't figure out cabinets which look clean on top, so perhaps a shelf with (sigh) baskets is best?

Here's my latest design.

Of note: the upper shelf is recessed (due to lower foundation wall). I'll use two 'train rack' shelves on the top left and right sides, as I do currently on the right. This gives visibility to what is stored on top as well as additional hanging. (Will this look like an afterthought?)

Train rack shelf (30" wide). This functions very well in the current space.

Just playing here, but a wallpaper could be really fun!

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Yes, still some cabinet doors where you can shut away the coats and stuff.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mud-room-organization-transitional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~76919010

• barncatz
    6 years ago

ob2b, I'd rather see staggered hooks or cabinets on that wall space than a high shelf. Maybe it's just me but I've never had a high shelf that wasn't a falling over, falling off disaster.

Baskets wouldn't work for our boots because, like beckysharp, our shoes or boots need to dry off usually. We have a tray under a gridded shelf for muck boots, snow boots. We wipe the residue off the tray occasionally. YMMV.

Minir detail: I'd also suggest keeping the dog leashes on totally separate hooks on a different wall from coats. I despise digging through sweatshirts and coats for the leashes that are tangled in the sleeves.

Brainstorm photo : not literal representation: tall cabinet, floating dresser.

Bad · More Info

oldbat2be thanked barncatz
  • User
    6 years ago

Symmetry looks great in an elevation. Where are you ever going to be able to stand yo appreciate symmetry in that narrow hall?

The little bit of room that you have on the wall across can be dog central. It’s perfect for a shallow shelf with treats above and leashes below. Dog shampoo and flea medication in one basket on the shelf. And brushes and nail clippers in another.

oldbat2be thanked User
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Back from the drawing board with another idea I'd like to float by you: pegs/hooks on the exterior of a cabinet, like so:

Colorado Lodge · More Info

Full overlay doors, possibly with a beadboard or shiplap pattern to camouflage, which could be repeated on the back and side wall. Heavy duty hinges.

Top of cabinet as drawn is 36" deep; I'd recess it back ~8 inches.

Sophie - Thank you for the symmetry reminder and the storage ideas.

Barncatz - I use the flexi-lead vs. long leash usually, so long leashes can go into a drawer rolled up tidily. I still like the basket idea for shoes - just as long as I have equal place for dirty shoes. Clean shoes would go in the basket; dirty on the floor (as they do currently) or maybe a mat of some sort. I'm not sure I'd have room for both, in the above sketch. I have played with the idea of floating cabinets, thank you for that.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Here's a recent mudroom that I designed. There might be some ideas here.

She only had room for an 18" pantry with roll out trays, and her kids are small, so the 36" seat worked for that. The junk drawer cabinet has a shortened depth drawer so that the electrical outlet has room. And it has a power station inside one of the drawers as well. She gave up the idea of the paper shredder in a lower drawer because it took too much storage away from the other drawers. She could have had it in frameless instead of inset. And more storage everywhere. But she loved the inset. And the space wasting legs. There's always tradeoffs!

The double row of hooks was a must, as was the open bins above, for baskets that are tall enough that the small ones can't reach yet. The drawer below the wall cabinet is for keys, as that was a constant search.

oldbat2be thanked User
  • CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    6 years ago

The thing about hooks, particularly if you have men or children (don't get me started about 1 in the same) is that the hooks become overloaded. Things underneath get crushed or the hook poked through the back of them. I don't see you ever being able to open those doors.

Perhaps akin to a file cabinet. They say once someone files something, it's 6 to 10 years before they look at it again. I found that to be pretty accurate after I read it!

oldbat2be thanked CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
  • herbflavor
    6 years ago

one uses pegs: I'm in a four seasons climate, and have 4 inch long pegs on a mounting board.....five or so across. There is always something set aside as the seasons shift....3 or 4 nylon parka shells can rest over on a peg off to side while the winter fleece comes over to the peg in use....a hat /scarf/etc can rest underneath the garment. pegs work well, hooks are not the best.

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

Realistically, how many coats will live in this room? How many pairs of shoes,sneakers, and boots? I’d take an inventory and go from there. With our weather recently, we need every type of outerwear and footwear accessible. High of 67 yesterday. Today 4” of snow, so far-and a low of 4 tonight. Sigh...

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My apologies for the delay in replying; I had typed up a reply but never submitted it somehow.

The Cook's Kitchen - you got a lot into that space! Too bad about the legs - but I do like inset as well so can understand. Thank you for posting a picture. I can't tell where the face frames start and end.

Christine - I received notifications about 2 posts you made but only found this one, not sure what may have happened. Yes, DH tends to use one hook (in fact, he claims I told him he could only use one and took umbrage at me saying he hogs the hooks). Regarding file cabinets, most things I've filed, I've never gone back to!

herbflavor - We're in a four seasons climate as well. I'm not sure I understand the difference between a hook and a peg. Does the peg length allow things to be hung over the peg as well as the end?

cluelessincolorado - You make an excellent point. To be honest, far fewer coats, shoes, sneakers, etc. need to live in here than we have currently. We keep most shoes in our closets and do have a front hall closet. Maybe I need a Salvation Army peg and shoe rack :)

Well, I went off and brooded for a bit, and then started again.

I'm trying to mimic the upper cabinets in this picture.

Induction Crush · More Info

Regarding the cubbies, I'd like somewhere to put my gloves and wool hat when I come in. I'd rather set them down than open a drawer and put them away.

Broom, and long coat/s on left.

Plenty of cabinet storage up top.

Drawer storage.

Bench

Good deal of real estate for hook/peg and shoe storage.

Dog biscuits probably on countertop; leash on side of cabinet.

Does this look clean and does anyone have any thoughts on improvements to the lines? I'm showing 1.5" rails. The cabinet is 20" deep and the bench is recessed 5".

It probably makes more sense to not do individual cabinets up top; just buy the face frame and doors; then DH can mount the inset doors. More space but then more opportunity for everything to move around. Again, your input appreciated!

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

how deep and high is bench? construct a shelf underneath the seat...leave enough space to shove shoes at floor, but the shelf will give you a second horizontal row to rest shoes/flip flops/even caps/etc.Basket with leash/misc. so you have 7 feet total width ?? I'd probably pare to 42 in for bench, thinking it still serves your purpose....put the couple extra inches in either of the other sections.... wider drawers?

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

Or leave the bench width and build in a second shelf for another row of shoes that doesn't span the whole bench so that there is room for boots. Or...leave out the bottom drawer and make that the boot house. We have a lot of boots...

• eam44
    6 years ago

Super cool.

“Broom, and long coat/s on left”

Is there a way to close that cabinet? Hanging coats are not attractive, neither is a broom. Can you put a door on that?

Similarly, if you’re going to go to all this effort, make it deeper. Deeper bench, deeper cabs. Use every inch you’ve got.

oldbat2be thanked eam44
  • handmethathammer
    6 years ago

I kind of like what you have now, and it seems to have what you would want, minus the bench. It has a counter height drop place and plenty of room for coats and boots.

I get the dump area. That is my mudroom. I have a bench in my mudroom. Nobody uses it to sit and take off their shoes or boots. It is used to shelve backpacks and extra stuff my spouse doesn't know what to do with. There are shelves too, but the stuff on them are so random and weird. It is the place where obsolete items go to die.

And the shoes. Why are there so many shoes? There aren't THAT many people living here.

oldbat2be thanked handmethathammer
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Back from the drawing board! I have fallen in love with this door and it's a great solution to hide the coats, store extra shoes, as well as the broom and possibly rechargeable vacuum.

I'm thinking the other cabinets and drawer fronts should have a slab front, no, for cleaner lines?

herbflavor - the bench can be any height and depth to around 20". Thank you for the shelf idea and bench suggestions. As you can see with my latest, I've stolen room from it (now at 38" width).

cluelessincolorado - yet anothe vote for a second shelf :) We don't have a lot of boots.

eam - thank you as always for chiming in. As you can see, I took your suggestion to heart and have closed in the cabinet on the left. Point taken and appreciated about the depth.

handmethathammer - Great name! Thank you - what we have is functional, but not attractive. My gut feeling is that if I reduce the amount of (visible) horizontal space, that the area will be cleaner. Ditto creating a designed space for the stuff which comes in and out daily. You're so right about the stuff which just ends up here. I am always repeating to myself - Don't Put it Down, Put it Away.

• User
    5 years ago
    Did you end up installing anything? We are knee deep in mudroom design.
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Alison - we haven't pulled the trigger yet on this. Please feel free to link to your design / questions - which may help us move forward :)