SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35873677

Trying again...What do you think of this dog?

User
6 years ago

I've posted this four times. They show up in my home page but don't post, so if they do all of a sudden, I'm sorry and will try to remove them.

Anyway. What do you think of this dog? It's not mine, so you cannot offend me.

Any opinions, whatever you have to say about it, just please do so...(will crosspost in the pets section too)

Comments (112)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Penny, I am sorry. What is the name of the exact name of the place where the dogs are? We can all bombard them with emails. I don't know why places do this, but I guess they have had bad experiences before??? Seems like they would like to save one or two if they could.

User thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Chi
    6 years ago

In this situation, you can ask them which rescues have pull rights, and contact them. Most rescues would be happy to pull them for you as a committed adopter! It's their entire purpose.

I follow many rescue groups and they beg for fosters so they can pull rescue-only dogs from shelters.

I think you are awesome for this. Don't give up! I think you can still bring those babies home.

User thanked Chi
  • Related Discussions

What do you think of sugar in dog food?

Q

Comments (15)
    Here is the ingredient list for Wellness Super5 chicken dry food. Still, it's not as good as some but it is good (for dry food). I talked extensively with a rep about the "chicken meal" and am ok with it. Ingredients Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate], Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.
    ...See More

What do you think of of dogs in public places?

Q

Comments (287)
    Like I say I don't have the answer. If you drive around the poor neighborhoods in my state it's common to see pitbulls behind chain link fences. These dogs are probably bought in some cases with good intentions. Sometimes I think the mentality is that it or they will be a combination of pet and protection. The problem is that they get the puppies in the house and don't have a clue how to dog parent. They get fed up with chewed furniture , urine and feces. They get fed up with the dog pulling on the leed. So, the dogs get stuck out in the fenced yard or chained to something. These are the most dangerous if they get lose. And, again comes down to the lethal bite force. What if these sorts were given the tools to know how to train? Might help! Might also help with the very lazy buying these dogs in the first place if they know they have to go to dog obedience classes. As an owner of a Rottie, a breed with a bad reputation, I would like to see this stigma close to disappear . I'm sure Responsible pit owners feel the same. However, it will never happen without some regulations. I don't believe my thoughts are picking on certain breeds. My thoughts are to help the power jaw breeds and the responsible owners who love them with tighter breeding laws and mandatory training. These dogs are magnificent and idiots are not only ruining them they are contributing to the stigma.
    ...See More

What do you think about people and dog all being sick?

Q

Comments (34)
    I wanted to give an update. Since this all happened, 2 weeks ago. I've been very strict with her and watching her like a hawk at the dog park. I gave her back the raw hides and she experienced no ill effects from that, that was a week ago. Then, just yesterday I decided it had been long enough to try giving her ONE of those Old Mother Hubbard treats, they are very small...like a puppy sized biscuit. Today she has diarrhea again! I think I found the culprit! Hopefully just the one tiny treat will just work its way through her system and she will be OK. I knew that I had just opened a brand new bag of these right before she got sick, she has been eating this same brand and variety for a couple years now. It was one of the only things she could eat without issues and she LOVED them. I don't know if they changed the recipe and added something that makes her bowels upset or if they are contaminated? I just contacted the company to explain what happened. I'll let you know how they handle this.
    ...See More

Trying this again, what am I doing wrong?

Q

Comments (18)
    I wouldn't worry about putting anything in the area above the cornices you're taking down. The focus should be on the view outside. I think it might be a good idea to place the sofa on the opposite side and the two light chairs on this side. This would make for a more inviting view. A small table between the two chairs would add more interest and give a parking spot for drinks or small food plates. The lamp between your two chairs seems too short for a living room lamp, and I would choose a new one with a thinner base to give you more room on the table and it will also look better. Perhaps a fairly thin metal base of some kind would suit this area better. Since this room seems a little dark I would think about getting a lighter-colored rug and also a larger one so that your chairs are sitting on it completely. The visual of the chairs from the side will be much more pleasing. I think this area needs some warm accents like yellow, gold and terracotta to play against all the cool colors you have, and you might think about changing your pillows. Your rug could also have some of those colors for a warmer, friendlier look.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Sherry...I'm not sure that will endear me to them though :)

To be fair, they are only looking out for the best interest of the dog (I guess....).

And for the sake of full disclosure, I did have the fleeting thought that I would tell them that I was the actual owner (yikes!)...and that I needed to reclaim it...

I will hope that a rescue comes forward. I will email a couple and see...

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I bonded with my current cat when he was in a cage at Petsmart as a kitten. I kept looking at him for a week and calling and calling and no one would answer. He is 11 now and I still believe that he knew it was me outside the cage.

• Chi
    6 years ago

Definitely don't say you're the owner! I'd worry that they would not only deny you the dogs but they would try to charge you for neglect considering the state of their health. That would be terrible.

Contacting rescues is a good idea. In my area, only certain rescues can pull from each shelter, so you'll need to do a little research. The shelter can probably help direct you.

Would you adopt both? That would be amazing since they are bonded.

User thanked Chi
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for that information, Chi. I just sent off an email to ask.

(You'd think they would just give in to get me off their backs!!)

Not sure about both but I would love to. We already have a female dog though...not ours but lives with us...That's my dearly missed Sophie in the front...she came from the shelter, too. The munchkin in the back peering over her shoulder belongs to my son...she was the runt that the breeder had no hopes for...

• Chi
    6 years ago

Yeah they don't seem really helpful, do they? You'd think they would do whatever they could to help, like provide rescue info. Maybe resources are just stretched too thin.

User thanked Chi
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Tomorrow is Saturday, just drive over there tomorrow early. Don't give up until you have an answer. I was going to leave before I got my cat Charley, I had worked all day and my feet hurt and it was 7PM and no one had showed up. It had been all week, but my husband said just wait a little while longer....... He was right. The foster was out of town and all the others were slammed.....ect., ect., ect.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

I'll probably regret posting this but can you go up the corporate food chain some? There is certainly a Director, or Board of Directors that you can contact. I don't like saying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but it does. Wishing for a good resolution. ((Penny))

User thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

They may think that the "average person" doesn't really realize what it would take to cure the dogs. Believe me on this....when you work with any kind of animal rescue, you become suspicious of just about everyone until you get to know them.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Penny. If you really want the pup I think you should take the offer of Sherry to let those of us who wish send letters on your behalf. I think you were offered financial help if you need it....I would be happy to help you by writing a letter and we know Sherry would...I suspect many here would...just think about it.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Penny, one of the best dogs we ever had was one near death the first time I saw her. She'd been on the streets for a long time and was literally skin and bones. That little dog was so weak that she was unable to stand. The shelter employees told me she was too sick and encouraged me to look at the dogs that were in good health. They were only keeping her to fulfill the seven day hold requirement and she would be put down at the end of that time.

But, there was something special about her that shined through even though she was so sick. I spent every lunch break with her that week and on the third day she wagged her tail and managed to struggle to a sitting position when I came to visit . By Friday she was able to stand - amazing what a little food will do.

Saturday was the end of the hold period and I was at the shelter before they opened that morning to adopt her. It took months and many vet visits to get her healthy but we did and we had many happy years with her.

I share this story with you as an example of what persistence can accomplish and to offer encouragement in your desire to help these dogs. But, i also think it's important to remember that taking them on is going to require a lot of time, effort and expense. It's easy for all of us to encourage you to do this, but you are the one who will be taking this on not us. Best wishes to you whatever you decide to do.

User thanked DawnInCal
  • desertsteph
    6 years ago

yesterday I spent some time reading about the rescue of a retriever that was attacked by wild dogs. the poor baby looked much worse that the 1st one you posted above. when rescuers got to it, it was hiding under a mobile home, was terribly hurt and in shock. He looked like an injured, matted, dirty, sad canine on its last leg of life. His paws and legs looked greyish black - but when cleaned up, they weren't, and his paws were actually white.

It took months with at a vet and in a foster home before a good recovery - and adoption by a rescuer (a friend of one at the vet maybe). In pics months into it, he was looking like a retriever again and was very, very handsome! Previously, he'd had scrapes and bites (and was shaven) over his right ear, head and down the back. But with lots of care, love and good food, he made it back. His new home has another dog (small) and a cat. they say he is very happy there and friendly with his pet siblings.

so, hang in there. and if you know any other rescue people, maybe they can help you.

I'm with Scott, I wish I could take in all of these poor babies that need a home, or at least had the money to take care of some of them. I do constantly remind mine that she is one blessed little girl - that I saw her face on CL and brought into a good home - lots of love, treats, toys and play time, plus lots of hugs and kisses. She has her own patio door where she can watch out at the birds and Mr Bunny (on his way home from 'work', to his family).

User thanked desertsteph
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

It shouldn't be that difficult to find the rescues. I think I know all the rescue groups in my area just from Facebook posts. Maybe you can call your vet and ask them to give you the name and phone number of a couple of your most active rescues in your area. I'm sure they would know, and tell them why you need their name and number. I see no reason why they wouldn't give you this information. If your vet doesn't have this information, go to a different vet. Maybe going to the vet in person would give better results. Also, don't you have any shelters in your area that rescue animals like where we live, there are several well known rescues that have actual shelter buildings where people go to adopt dogs and cats.

User thanked arkansas girl
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Hi, Penny. I have worked with rescues before. You have a great "hook" here. Those dogs' faces have been posted on this huge website (Gardenweb), and you have all kinds of people interested. If the rescue will get on board, you can set up a GoFundMe, and who knows, maybe we can help you pay for some of the vet care, and they will get some GREAT advertising!!!! If the contributions can be sent directly to the rescue, and it happens to be a nonprofit, then donations would be tax deductible, and it's a win-win. Send them a link to this website..... Give them the pitch that tons of people have seen the dogs and are rooting for them!

User thanked Mrs. S
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have to say that you're a great bunch of folks...

I have been in touch with a rescue. She will pull the female for me but I would be the foster. I don't want that.

She's looking for someone to take the male.

At this point, I really don't know what to do. Let's just say that I look a the pictures a lot. (And I might cry a just a bit...alright a lot... but don't tell anyone.)

• Chi
    6 years ago

That's strange - I don't understand why they would want a foster over an adopter. Getting dogs adopted is generally the ultimate goal of rescues. Maybe because they want to make sure the medical issues are taken care of while they can still monitor the situation? Did they give an explanation?

I think you should take both! They are bonded and so sweet.

User thanked Chi
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I have followed this discussion, but haven’t said anything since this is really something that will affect your life for years and though I am getting “to know” a lot of you, I wouldn’t be comfortable to nudge any of you for something this important. At this point I feel you have lost your heart already to that sweet little dog.

User thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Penny, a lot of fosters end up adopting the dogs in their care. Maybe fostering these dogs would lead to your being able to adopt later.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

If you foster it, I don't see why you can't adopt it at a later date, if that is what they require. I have worked with a lot of shelters and I swear, at some of them, it is easier to adopt a child than adopt a dog. I know it is for the best interest of the dog. They probably want to monitor the treatment of the skin condition...which is good. They should pay for the treatment if you are the foster.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • Mystical Manns
    6 years ago

Marilyn is right ... if you're fostering, the rescue will pay for medical treatment and they typically get a greatly reduced rate. Once the dog is healthy, and if you've bonded and decide to adopt, then you take over medical costs.

User thanked Mystical Manns
  • nannygoat18
    6 years ago

My rescue organization offers foster and foster-to-adopt options. All expenses are paid for both and fosters also get first dibs if the dog is available for adoption. With 48 hours notice, the dog can be returned to the rescue at any time so it's a great opportunity for a trial period to see if she's a good fit. As Iris says, the ultimate decision is yours as this is a huge responsibility with an unknown outcome.

User thanked nannygoat18
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Fostering is not a bad option, for many of the reasons listed above. I would make sure, though, that you do get first dibs on the dog. It would be awful to foster and have someone adopt without your knowledge.

User thanked Chi
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I very much understand that they are worried about the dog first. And must take precautions.

I do have my reasons for not being willing to foster. I realize that saying that puts me in a rather bad light and many will come to the wrong conclusion, but I can't help what others think of me.

The truth is that I have the resources, I have another house to use for isolation and care (where I would live temporarily, too). A vet who just opened up about a mile from me (so I could walk in). A fenced yard. And I work from home. Plus I have incredible patience and our pets live with us for life.

I get that nobody know this but me....

Anyway...please spare a good thought for these little ones. We'll see if there are any new developments tomorrow.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

You know what, Penny. There are all kinds of reasons why rescues won't adopt out to certain folks. I have run into issues before with them, too! For example, when DH and I bought our first house, we adopted two young dogs from two different rescues. When the first rescue found out about the second rescue, they threw a fit. They were worried about us taking care of two young dogs. It worked out great.

Another time, we moved temporarily to Colorado (1 year stay) and a local rescue wouldn't adopt to us, since we were only there temporarily! Showing them the deed to our very valuable house back in SoCal and our tax returns would not persuade.

And we had trouble getting a 3rd dog when we had 2 already and 4 kids, youngest at that time was 6 yrs, which was technically within their guidelines, but the situation didn't seem good enough for them.

But one thing I have learned is that persistence pays off. If you don't want to foster, then try to keep showing up down at the shelter when you can. Call there. Write them emails. Ask if you can put a "hold" sign on the door. Send the workers a tub of cookies.

They need to get to know you, so they can build trust.

User thanked Mrs. S
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

Penny - I doubt anyone thinks less of you for not wanting to foster. I wouldn't want to either - especially if I've fallen in love with a puppy and had to give it up.

My DD has fostered dogs for short periods - but she already has a dog and doesn't want another just yet. So she fosters dogs for a few weeks at a time and it helps socialize them and get them used to being in a home and around other dogs and people.

I hope this works out for you.

User thanked maire_cate
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

The rescue is willing to pull what might be considered a "questionable" dog and put it into a foster-only situation because they have no history on this dog. If they adopt to you, and something negative happens, they could be on the hook for making a dog with issues available for adoption. Also, if something negative happens, an adopter (not you, but in general) might do something bad - say it bites you or poops in the house - like let the dog loose, hurt it in some way, or give it away to someone without good intentions. They need to consider it a foster, so that if something happens, the dog is still theirs and they can reclaim it if need be. So if you really want to help this dog, why don't you ask if you can foster to adopt. You sign a contract saying you'll foster for 60 days or whatever period they deem appropriate, and if everyone is happy at the end of the foster period, you adopt outright.

User thanked Bluebell66
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I would not want to do that, because they could take the dog away from me for whatever reason if they wanted to. What we have done is adopt, but the dog goes back to the rescue if we don't want for any reason. Not one dog or cat has EVER gone back.

I admire someone that can foster, but that is not me.

• annztoo
    6 years ago

I agree with bluebell. I've worked with a large rescue and fostering with option to adopt is pretty standard. It's always for the benefit of the dog yet potential adopters think otherwise. We (the rescue organization) saw too any dogs disappear after being adopted, show up at vets to be euthanized, and it wasn't unusal to find them again in a shelter. It seemed that no matter the financial standing of the adopter they would rather leave the dog at a shelter than call us and ask to return the dog. Dogs with health issues need to be monitored and if you don't want people from the shelter coming to your house then arrange for them to receive vet reports and meetings with the dog. Fostering allows you to learn more about the dog and report to the shelter how the dog interacts with children, cats, strangers, livestock and other dogs. If you change your mind on adopting the dog, the shelter then has more info to give to a rescue or another adopter.

I'm sure they'll work with you on signing some type of agreement giving you first refusal on adoption. After all you've done to try to help this dog I'd hate to see you back out now because of their fostering program. But, if you've changed your mind about bringing the dog into your home, it's totally understandable.

User thanked annztoo
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I don't think anyone faults you for not wanting to foster. I think you have already gone over and beyond to inquire about a dog, that few people would ever consider. I've done it with horses. I go on auto pilot if I look at one and something about it clicks with me.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • quasifish
    6 years ago

Penny, I've also been following this thread. I'm sorry that things have not worked out smoothly in this case. I also understand where you are coming from in regards to not wanting to foster- I could not do it for my own personal reasons. The world works in mysterious ways, so who knows what might happen next? Thinking positive thoughts.

User thanked quasifish
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all...you have all become very important to me...

I am still waiting to hear from the shelter and have asked if I can plead my case to whoever makes these decisions. I'll hear back today. I'm trying to be more emotionally detached (as best I can, anyway, just in case). I know there are circumstances in which shelters have reversed decisions.

Funny thing is that I wasn't even looking for a dog...

I do understand everyone point of view in this.... I really do. I understand the rescue and I'm trying to understand the shelters preference for euthanasia over me---I guess...

The rescue is aware of the situation but seems a little...preoccupied. Busy, I guess.

• Ali
    6 years ago

Oh, Penny. Sending good positive thoughts to you and fingers are crossed.

User thanked Ali
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The shelter just told me that they took it to a rescue on Friday and were immediately put into a vet's care....Must have been at night as I spoke with them on Friday :-/

I simply pray that I am being told the truth.

• Chi
    6 years ago

Can they tell you which rescue? You could contact them about adopting.

User thanked Chi
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have emailed them to ask that, Chi.

I want to thank all of you once again for your thoughts and word of support and advice. It really helped me in more ways than one.

Bless you all.

ETA: the shelter is "not permitted" to give me the name of the rescue organization...

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Why would they make it so difficult for me, though? I don't understand this. Now, I totally feel like a failure.

In a way, it's creating a market for backyard breeders and Craigslist sellers...(NOT for me, of course....but maybe for others like me).

I'm sad today.

Still...I thank you all again.

• Chi
    6 years ago

That is so frustrating. I wonder if they could share which rescues they work with? If you want to give me the name of the shelter, I could poke around online and see if I can find the rescue. You could message me if you don't want to post it.

User thanked Chi
  • annztoo
    6 years ago

Instead of being sad think of it as working out as it should. Your interest may have made the rescue groups aware of the dog and the rescue has probably been busy lining up vet appts and a foster home. Remember that shelters usually have a list of rescue groups they work with and transfer to the rescue group is usually done before the shelter opens to the public or after closing.

User thanked annztoo
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

The shelters and other places always complaining there's no room for more animals yada yada yet someone financially stable and wants a chance can't adopt...I wonder how many of these places are selling/giving euthanized animals to the dog food manufacturers like the recent one Gravy Train.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

As someone who works in rescue, I think this has worked out the way it should. I know you mean well, Penny, but an unproven dog simply can't be adopted out to anyone, even if someone says they have experience and resources. Too many people lie about stuff like that for the shelters to trust unknown individuals. If you had adopted from the shelter previously, it might have been another story. Maybe, but maybe not. Everyone I know in rescue can tell you story after story about people with ill intent, or those who simply haven't thoroughly thought through their decision to adopt. They don't want adoption to be driven by emotion after seeing a sad face.

Usually if a dog is turned over to rescue instead of being made available for adoption, there is something that needs to be resolved first that the shelter doesn't have time or resources to deal with - behavioral issues, illness or significant physical issue, or whatever - that the rescue will address before the dog is made available for adoption. Rescues don't typically take dogs that can't have their issues resolved, so I'm sure this dog will be available for adoption soon unless they uncover something significant.

Most shelters and rescues don't have time to answer repeated questions and phone calls about dogs that they can't adopt directly to the public. And as far as rescues taking a little while to get back to you, most people in rescue work full time jobs doing other things and work rescue on the side, so they are generally quite busy and return phone calls when they are able. And as I mentioned before, a dog that has been turned over to rescue probably won't be available for adoption right away. They'll get it into foster first, and since you don't want to foster, it'll be fostered by someone else who may decide to adopt it.

If you are 100% serious about and interested in adopting when the dog is ready, I would definitely speak with them. Otherwise, it's probably best to let this one go.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Are you close to the Dallas Pound? They had close to 200 dogs available today. $85 gets them fixed, chipped, and vaccinated. You have saved the ones you were looking at, because they were pulled by a rescue, so they won't be put down unless they have something that can't be cured. Our rescues here will keep them forever if no one adopts. The pounds can't. If they aren't adopted or pulled by a rescue they don't have a chance.

Look at the pounds in the area, but don't look at lost and found. Look at the ones for adoption. Go there if you can.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some rescues are also unscrupulous, Bluebell....Maybe yours isn't, but maybe it is.

Nobody knows these things, do they? Just like you don't know me...

Thanks to others for the very kind words...I'm glad we got to know each other a little over this.

Sherry, we got our previous dog from the Dallas pound....they are in need absolutely...I will look after a time...

Mama, I would hate to think of that...however, this whole thing has (sadly) opened my eyes to the underbelly of the animal "business"....

Annztoo, thank you thank you for letting me think of this in way that works helps.

Chi, thank you also, but they don't (from what they said) work with a particular rescue. I do plan on keeping my eyes out for those that are local to the area...although I know that it's not always the case that they stay local.

Anyway....Visiting this thread is a little sad for me at the moment so forgive my absence.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

They could be giving you the run around. I have hesitated to say it, because, actually, I said it already. They most likely put the dogs down when they came in. And you are right. Some shelters are not scrupulous. Pounds, for example. I have witnessed some horrible things. And usually the people hired are not the devoted animal lovers that we would like to associate with rescues. You said it was a kill shelter and they were at capacity. If people don't like the term kill shelter....sorry. That is what they are called by people in the rescue world. You can call a billy goat, a shetland pony, but that doesn't make it so. You can say they are devoted animal lovers, but most often they are minimum wage employees and burn out is a big problem. Thank you for your efforts, Penny.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Penny, it seems as though you think that I am passing judgment. I truly am not. I was just trying to give you the rescue side of things. If you saw every day the things they deal with, it would make a lot more sense,

I don’t have a rescue myself but have worked with many. Just like any other type of business, sure, there are unscrupulous rescues. I have come across a few over the years, but for the most part, they are compassionate people and organizations doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

From what I have seen of you here, you have a kind heart and seem to be a good pet mom. I really, really did not mean to make you feel bad. I do understand how looking at those photos makes you feel. I have had many a sleepless night worrying and wondering about many sad cases.

As for the pet food, euthanized animals are picked up at shelters by rendering companies. Those companies process the cat/dog bodies, plus restaurant food waste, dead farm animals, etc., into whatever by byproducts can be made, like grease, and supposedly dispose of the rest in an environmentally friendly way. Back in the 90's it was found that euthanized horses were being rendered and the products of that rendering process were sold to pet food companies, which is how euthanasia drugs ended up in pet food at THAT time. Who knows how it got there now, but I sure hope they get to the bottom of it. They can test the food to find out what animal DNA is in it, so hopefully that is being done now with the suspect food.

There is a rendering plant about 45 minutes from where I live, so I have learned a little about its business. I know it’s a needed service, but it is the grossest place to drive by...the area has THE MOST disgusting smell. And that’s just from driving by. I can’t imagine working there.

User thanked Bluebell66
  • katrina_ellen
    6 years ago

It could be that they have an allergy to the food they are eating causing the skin problems. That happens a lot, then when they are switched to a good food it clears up - just a possibility also.

User thanked katrina_ellen
  • share_oh
    6 years ago

My heart sank as I read thru this thread. I volunteered with my local humane society for many years. I left when they started euthanizing dogs for so-called behavioral issues. They claimed the national HS allowed them to call themselves a no-kill shelter as long as they didn't kill more than 10% of their population a month. They lost 99% of their longest and best volunteers over that piece of BS.

I see no reason why the shelter wouldn't give you the name of the rescue. Reeks of deception to me. I agree with Marilyn and feel they put the dogs down already. I hope we are wrong!

I would probably call all the local rescue groups I could find on Petfinder and see if they took them in. I would also call whoever is in charge of this shelter and find out why they are not allowed to give you the name of the rescue.

It's SO hard to find good homes for dogs, especially in bad shape as these... and when someone comes knocking at your door interested in them, they should've been doing cartwheels! We were always thrilled when dogs got adopted, but even moreso when the hard luck cases found a home.

User thanked share_oh
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Sometimes my local Petsmart hosts an adoption day with the humane society...usually in the spring. They set up puppy play pens and cages outside the store. These pets are from the humane society and are being sold. You do need to fill out paperwork but there's no background check. Last year cats or kittens sold for 175$ each and dogs and puppies 250$. There was no spay/neuter included but there was phone numbers and places to call for low cost neuter programs. There was also an area set up collecting pet foods/ cat litter ect to the shelter and a can for monetary donations.

Thing is a person can adopt cheaper at the shelter with neuter included.

So what's with this?

Another thing....someone at a local rescue place told me a few years back when I was looking for a tiny pup that I'd never find one for adoption at this place because they are sold on Craigs list when they come in.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • nannygoat18
    6 years ago

The shelter response is mystifying as my experience was very different. A few years ago DD had a dream that she adopted a black dog with a white spot on it’s chest sitting in a walled cage. It was so intense that we spent several weeks going to shelters to find her. Finally she found the dog online and we went to the shelter. The dog wasn’t there and DD kept pestering the kennel man and described the cage. He said, Oh, that’s the medical ward, and went to retrieve her. He emerged with the dream replica with a broken leg. She was going to be euthanized because the break was so severe. He was stunned when we adopted her and the shelter vet agreed that it was a bad judgment call. Lucie needed pricy surgery and extensive 6 month rehab due to a rocky recovery. That dream quickly turned into a nightmare.

User thanked nannygoat18
  • desertsteph
    6 years ago

I got one of my babies from PetSmart back '98. i didn't go there to get a dog. tho they had a dog on a poster that I told myself would be my next dog. that day I went wasn't their normal adopt a pet day either. when i walked in they had 1 dog and several cats... that dog looked just like the dog on the poster. She was spayed and I got her for 40$. she was about 2 at the time. they said they usually required a person to have 6' fence, but since she could jump that they waived that requirement. And she couldn't go to a home with kids. I had none at home and no gkids in the state that would be coming to visit, so she came home with me and was my princess until she got her wings in 2013. Other than that I was willing to pay the $40.00, they knew nothing about me. I did go check out the no kill shelter that put her in PetSmart tho. It seemed like a nice place and they wanted her back if she didn't work out etc. But they never checked on her or my house/land. I often thought I should send them a card from her asking when they'd come to make sure she was safe and tell them she'd been waiting for them.

No one ever checked on her, or contacted me to see if I still had her.

She was fine with kids - my 6 yr old neighbor boy would come over to play catch with me and they got along fine. I still didn't allow him to come over unless I was home.

I posted this just because I think sometimes those shelter places are just weird. they had a few requirements for adopting her, but had nothing to verify that I met those requirements, except my word. My baby was very blessed that it was me that walked in and then walked out with her.

The girl I have now, was listed on CL. I had no idea people put pets on there. I was shocked. i worried that some weirdo would get her and hurt her in some way. Again, the people who had her, didn't know me or anything about me, except what I told them. She too, was one lucky little girl. I wasn't looking for another dog then either, but couldn't bear to think what could happen if the wrong person got her. My old girl was still with me then, and she took about all the energy I had at the time.

penny - I'm sorry this didn't work out for you, and her. how sad. I would be glad to donate to a pet fund for her, if needed. Maybe you could call local rescues to see if anyone has her. Those 2 needed a good loving home, vet care and good food. It's heartbreaking to think they might have put them down.

User thanked desertsteph
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio