SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_roselover

And here's Windemere (my new garden continued)

Here's another of my new roses! (I hope I'm not boring you all silly - but I'm so excited about my new garden and it's so nice to have someone to share the photos with! :-) )

I don't generally like the pale-coloured roses, especially as I like to view my garden as a whole and pale blooms tend to look like white blurs from a distance (particularly in the very intense sunshine here in Oz)... but I decided I wanted at least 1 "white" rose and I loved the shape of the blooms on Windemere, plus the creamy white colour, in pictures I'd seen.

So... she was on my shopping list when I went out to the rose nursery last Nov and I brought her home!

And here she is planted in the garden. She's in the very narrow bed down the centre, between John Clare and The Fairy (and assorted other plants).

Like with John Clare, I was lucky to get her at the end of her 1st spring flush so she came with some blooms - and then she put on new growth soon after planting.

When she bloomed again, the flowers were much bigger (although they're still on the smaller side compared to my other Austins) - and they were just as beautiful as the pictures I'd seen. I think the shape is exquisite - perfectly cupped but with defined overlapping circles of petals (I don't really like the quartered / muddled middle kind of look)

I also like the way she produces these "candelabras" and the very round buds that look almost like pearls...

The colour is quite creamy yellow when the blooms first open or when viewed in bright sunshine - but then the blooms fade to a lovely ivory white, which I really love.

And for such delicate-looking blooms, I was surprised that they do really well in the heat, since she's planted in full all-day sun. They don't burn at all and they last for a couple of days. And the scent is delicious!

She does seem to be the least vigorous of my Austins so far - she's remained the smallest (about 2.5 feet tall) and although she's grown 3 new basals, they're all roughly the same height and not very long - no octopus arms. She also seems to be the slowest to rebloom and the buds seem to take ages to open.

To be fair, I wonder if she would grow/bloom better if I hadn't stupidly planted a daisy right next to her in an already tiny bed! Big newbie mistake! As you can see, the daisy went beserk in our summer heat and started smothering Windemere... poor thing. I wonder if it was stealing her moisture & nutrients.

Anyway, I'm planning to move the daisy once the weather cools down and then hopefully Windemere might grow better. Although to be honest, I don't want her to be TOO vigorous, either - it would be good if she remained compact in that very narrow bed!

And really, I don't mind her remaining dainty & small, just to have those beautiful blooms. Here is Windemere with some foxgloves...

Comments (11)