SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gusgiglio

Corner of Granite Countertop broken during installation

Jackson Lini
6 years ago

This past Thursday the corner of my granite countertop broke off during installation. This was a pass through opening from my kitchen to my dining room with a small overhang. The installers offered to repair it but I said no. I called the Offce Mgr and she ordered a replacement slab from one that I had placed on-hold from the exact same lot. This morning the owner called and offered a $500 discount if I would accept the repaired section. I said no as I knew it would bother me. They were ok with that.

The installers said the cabinet was uneven which contributed to the breakage. I said when you put a level on it from various support sections it all appeared level. The corner section actually broke on about the third or fourth time they tried to re-positon the countertop after cutting out of section of trim molding so that countertop abutted cleanly against the kitchen wall. The cabinets were not replaced and were original to the house.

Did I make the right decision in not accepting a discount? The granite that was installed is beautiful. I'm sure the new section will match just fine as it is from the same lot. The granite itself was Giallo Ornamental.

Do you think the granite broke due to a hidden fissure, mishandling, or undue stress related to uneven cabinet support posts? If there are some minor level differences won't the installers adjust for that so that the weight is distributed evenly? I did not replace the cabinets just the countertops.

The two sections remaining to be installed have been or will be cut through the double sink opening and directly through the one faucet hole. It seems from several articles that this is the preferred method when two sections must be joined.

Thanks,

Comments (8)