SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
waterloo481

Paint color with white cabinets and Bianco Antico granite

waterloo481
3 years ago

We had our oak cupboards painted "White dove BM" and added a granite counter"Bianco Antico"

I'm really struggling trying to find a wall color that does not have a pink undertone. The counter has a lot of brown tones even though it looks very grey here.

Even trying to find a treatment for the patio door is a problem. Should I be putting the same color on the sink window as the patio door ? what color would you suggest for walls?

Comments (73)

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Spencer I went to Glidden Today to find that color and the lady told me it must be an old color because she couldn’t find it. I found one that might work “ toasty grey”

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    That’s a nice colour. Here it is in a kitchen. I think I might take a closer look at it also, but maybe for LR.
    waterloo481 thanked MarleneM
  • Related Discussions

Floor tile colors that work w/ bianco antico granite?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have BA, but have a dark cork floor. If I were doing a tile I know how wrong this is....but I think a marble would look great. So, what about a marble look-alike? Calacatta Porcelain tile, or something like that? I like things that sparkle with my BA, that is why I think about marble--even though it itself isn't sparkly it goes with "sparkly". Here is a floor (originally on Maria Killam's Colour Me Happy Blog), but who knows...Hollywood could have used something like a vinyl tile to get this look: Or if you prefer a darker look, maybe one of the tiles that looks like wood. Those are gorgeous. I have my eye on those for an upstairs bathroom. I would hop over to Mission Stone & Tile's website because they have a lot of eye candy and look around for ideas. RICSFAN--my island and cabinets surrounding my fridge are KM Peppercorn. It looks really nice with the BA. Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Stone & Tile-(check the blog tab too for ideas)
    ...See More

What color white cabs with Bianco Antico granite?

Q

Comments (5)
    My answer can never be short and sweet.... I ended up with Cloud White. And here is my thought process in getting there: Took two chips to the granite fabricator's shop to decide. Based on the fact that I was painting the cabinets myself and using oil based paint, which I knew would get creamier, I ended up going with the Cloud White because it was brighter. In the photos of my kitchen, it looks very bright (due to the professional lighting that was used), but if you hold up Cloud White to the cabinets (just after 6 months) they are creamier than the original paint color that I put on them. Also, all BA granite is not the same. Some of the whites in the BA are creamier than others. I would seriously take some paint chips to the rock itself and make the decision.
    ...See More

Will this Mosaic Tile Backsplash Work with Bianco Antico Granite

Q

Comments (32)
    I agree that the pencil mosaic tile would be too much with the granite. A simpler option as suggested many times in the thread is the way to go. I have also heard that pencil tile was kind of on its way "out". I get what you mean about subway tile. However, I found this image on Pinterest and it really spoke to me. Still subway tile but with a creative twist. Laying the first row vertically where the tile meets the granite and horizontal up to the cabinets takes away some of the boring and makes it more interesting. I think it would compliment your granite and cabinets nicely.
    ...See More

What cabinet color to match Bianco Antico Granite?

Q

Comments (4)
    When you're talking those subtle color variations, it's really better to get a designer in person to help you look at things. There's only so much someone can do looking at colors on a computer screen, and your photo looks a little foggy here on my end. If you can find someone who has a digital color measuring tool, they can pull out several options for you from the granite and backsplash that you already have. Going with a more saturated color on your cabinetry is also an option.
    ...See More
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m also considering “ agreeable grey “ SW. do you have a pic of that in a kitchen ? That is so helpful

• Irene Morresey
    3 years ago
    SW agreeable grey, kitchen in pic has same countertop as yours, hope that helps
    waterloo481 thanked Irene Morresey
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

everyone has been so helpful. Thank you

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have decide to go with agreeable grey. Shall I add a different color around desk and above railing?

what neutral color would go with agreeable grey? Dovetail grey may be too dark

• T Hill
    3 years ago
    I have Bianco Antico granite, white dove trim. Walls are BM Pashmina. I think you would be very happy with it. Have had lots of compliments!
    waterloo481 thanked T Hill
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Keep it simple--if you like Agreeable Grey, use it on all the walls.

waterloo481 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

T HIll -Ill check out pashmina- good to hear similar situations and what others have used

Thanks Diana-it looks dull and boring -I'll need some oomph somewhere

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

So get your "oomph" from accessories--rugs, curtains, lamps, chair pads, table runners, decorative items on walls, plates, pottery, vases, plants--you get the idea!

waterloo481 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What would you suggest for the area above the tile n the corner? A shelf or something on the counter?. There is a plug in that corner in which I could put a lamp. I can't have any rugs as my husband has foot drop and trips on all rugs

I was going to have chairs painted but am thinking they may chip easily -maybe look for new ones and I could easily make chair pads.

This is the other corner in which I could place" something" colorful

If I keep my island clean , your eye travels to the perimeter counter

This is a huge wall on which one sees "something" :once they are in the kitchen

I was considering painting the railings and was wondering all one color or spindles white and base white and handrails and tops " dark brown" as in desk top?

This is the view from the family room

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    I agree with Diana. If you keep walls all same nuetral then your art and accessories will stand out more. I feel feature walls draw your eye to them and most times it’s not what you want to highlight.
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess the wall I see from front door has always been my accent wall and takes one into the kitchen. I’m open though to all one color . Having second thoughts on “agreeable grey” may need to call in a decorator for help

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

decorator is coming to the rescue-we found agreeable grey too"gray"

I do thank you for all your help

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    Great, love to hear what you end up with. I was going to suggest to you to maybe look for curtains first and maybe the fabric would help in picking a paint colour. They say “pick paint colour last” lol! I painted the first coat of the LR in my new place Edgecomb Grey yesterday, and I really like it a lot. It’s a really soft colour, not too grey.
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I have heard paint should be last. I have tried a few curtains at patio doorand they look either gray or pink beside my counter.And then I don’t know what to do at windows to bring color across I think the problem is the amount of light we have and not a lot of areas for accents Even my husband said agreeable grey was very boring . Maybe I have had too many colours home and need a fresh eye

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marlene you must have a good eye for color

• nsc6
    3 years ago

I have Edgecomb gray in one of the bedrooms in the basement, I like it but my daughter said that she wish it was a shade darker. This gray gives off a bluish light grey with my rustic brown floor. The rest of the common area in the basement is chantilly lace....which turned out really well. At first I thought that it would be too white, but surprising it turn out very well. In comparison, the Dune White is beige looking.

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So many choices. I did contemporary white in a powder room w no window and dark vanity . It is lovely

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    Thanks Waterloo, maybe I do have an eye for it. I’ve received lots of compliments through the years with my paint choices. It’s very hard picking a neutral though. There are so many choices and they can all look different from one house to the next because they can vary so much by the available light and the surroundings.
    There is a blog I like to refer to, you might find it interesting. It’s Kylie M Interiors, (you can google it I think) lots of her posts have been saved to Pinterest too. She gives a lot of info on paint colours and explains why they don’t work in some spaces, like revere pewter looking green in an east or north facing room.
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I yri d revere pewter and found it looked green. My sister has it through her halls and it looks blue

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    I know you said you were going to go with a decorator, but I seen this photo and thought of you because you said you and your husband found its looking bland. In this kitchen the window covering resembles the granite and there is colour on the walls. Just thought I would share.
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

what a big kitchen. One thing about my kitchen is the lack of space for accessories

I also have a white floor so I need some texture some where

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

well the decorator was here and even though we kept telling her we did not want grey, she ended up recommending "grey owl or collingwood as wall color.

Back to square one. My husband does not like spending $$$ on decorators for this reason

• nsc6
    3 years ago

Grey owl we have in one house south facing....it did not look good initially. But we got use to it and over time it became ok. You will get use to whatever you decided on.

As far as window coverings are concern first decide if you wanted modern look which could include blinds and shades..........or more tradition look which would include drapes, valences, and curtains. Some modern shades which are very popular are the ones where you could see to the outside and outside can not look in unless you have the inside light on.....then one can pull down roller shades behind that.

One friend years ago decided on draping the top of her curtains with fancy folds etc....and today when I look them I think of funeral parlours!

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • MarleneM
    3 years ago
    Waterloo are you wanting a nuetral for wall colour or would you consider a colour?
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

nsc6

I need something on my patio door and could leave windows uncovered unless I feel the need for a blind in the spring/summer when the sun is higher. I am more of a plain, traditional minimalist-"casual sophistication"

Marlene I was hoping for a neutral more on the brown side in which I could change accessories to blue , turquoise, pink, yellow. but this decorator insists that grey is "now" and I will love it

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    @waterloo, you stated your kitchen gets a lot of light, but if it’s mostly east light it’s a cooler light. For this reason I agree with your decision not to go grey, it will look too cool most of the day. One thing you might try is to find a Brown that matches closely to the Brown in your granite, and then pick a light shade on that colour card. I think BM Whitall Brown, shown below, might be a close match. You may still have to go with a light brown with a touch of grey though to get away from the pink undertones.
  • nsc6
    3 years ago

Patio doors? How about vertical blinds that can be pulled to one side till needed? Too bad not new doors, BC the built in horizontal mini blinds between glasses would be best.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marlene I have a patio door and a window on the east, a window on the west and two south facing skylights.

nsc6 -are you thinking white vertical blinds.. We just had new windows and door last year-installer talked us out of blinds between windows-he said that's the biggest recall flaw

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This big expansive wall concerns me most . The decorator suggested one color from front hall to upper hall through kitchen around desk and wall above railing-hmmm

• MarleneM
    3 years ago
    I’m showing the following photo not for the design but for the wall colour paired with the off white cabinets. Based on what you’ve mentioned I think you would be happy with a colour like this.
    White Traditional Kitchen - Old Westbury, NY · More Info

I know the following are all Benjamin Moore colours and not what your painter uses, but I do have a preference to them myself and there seems to be more recommendations from designers on their colours. Although colours on a screen are not always true I like seeing these comparisons because to me I can see better which ones lean more green or pink/orange. I think stone hearth, inukshuk, or winds breath might be possibilities. The accents in the colours you mentioned will be what adds drama, and I think adding in some nickel finishes would be lovely as well.
  • nsc6
    3 years ago

Don't understand why cloud white is so popular with some.....it is a yellow white. White dove is a darker white. Simply white is a clearer white, if white is what you are after. The clearest white is chantilly lace.

might be worth it to pay your painter the difference with BM colour. He gets a lesser discount with BM paint. Don't think you will be disppointed. BM paint stores have people in the store that can give you info about which color will go with what. They will definitely be able to tell you the undertone colour of the paints.

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marlene

That is the look I had in mind. I'll try winds breath , I've had the other two home.

nsc6 I notice the yellow undertone on the sides of my skylights -presently my kitchen ceiling is cloud white. We had the painter color match white dove to the chip and my cupboards have a real yellow undertone not like the chip-apparently because of the lacquer.so I need to color match my door frames and repaint.

It was suggested to paint the ceiling the same color as the cupboards-again I'd need to color match and the interior of the skylights will look yellow as the cupboards do right now. So do I match the ceiling to the cupboards or would using Chantilly lace be too much of a contrast with the white dove cupboards

I

• nsc6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There will be a contrast but not a bad thing. As I had said before you can not colour match exactly to another company's paint BC of the base paint. When you step back and take a look you can see the difference between the real McCoy and a match from another company. If you are not fond of yellow like me, I would ask the paint store which of the paint colours would give off a yellow cast or a pink cast. I think cloud white is not a good colour at all under whatever lighting one have.

i would not paint my cupboards or trims again, just be happy with it and repaint the ceiling (or walls) if you must. Walls of Skylights are naturally a bit coloured anyways, depends on the glass used....the colour of the glass, if it reflects, if it is solar etc etc. Can not do much about that but if you give it a clear white, that is the best you can do. Imagine having a yellow cast paint when the sun shines down...everything will be even more yellow!

lovely kitchen btw. What shadow line do you have cupboards to ceiling? Do you like the shadow space? What height is your ceiling?

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I lost my response from my phone

nsc This is the door and frame that I painted before the cupboards were done

Now that the cupboards and window frame are done in a lacquer it is noticeable so I think Ill just redo the door and frame

On the patio door on the other side It is not as noticeable but I want to paint the railings beside it so would you suggest that I pain them the same as cupboards or

same as trim paint from family room

what do you mean by shadow line?-I'm not fond of that space but we have a cathedral ceiling

• nsc6
    3 years ago

I would keep all door casings, jams and baseboard trims all the same colour. Doors could be same as cupboards or trims. Not a fan of ceiling ..fans..Cathedral ceilings are great!

Sorry do not see the railing you are talking about. Have no more than 3 colours in a space is fine. I think I am seeing a wonderful fridge.

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The railings are behind the table overlooking the fr. (above pic)They are also seen on entering the house

3 pictures above is the sight of railings from FR

I was going to do spindles and corner posts and base all white. Railings and horizontal "Night horizon" same as desk top across from railings

• nsc6
    3 years ago

Well....I was thinking leave the posts and horizontal tops and bottoms in wood and do the spindles in white or black. But think all three choices are good, just whatever you like. Too bad can not remove just the spindles and replace with black metal spindles....there are so many choices then.

waterloo481 thanked nsc6
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes we thought of that but need to get metal spindles big enough to cover the place where wooden ones were attached

• Dianna Edwards
    3 years ago

Waterloo, I think your cathedral ceiling is crying out for attention. Not sure what just yet. My home (completed 1869, gothic revival) has high ceilings every room but highest as in library. Needed a ceiling fan but had to be great one. Found that for good price. Houzz didn’t exist 11 yeas ago. But you have more options than I did. Art wall + light fixture; paint (even one color multiple sheens can be a wow) + track lighting; that sort of thing. Wow what a space.

waterloo481 thanked Dianna Edwards
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do have 2 - 4" skylights in my cathedral ceiling,

I do want a different light fixture. Its convincing that I need to work on lol

• Ang Ms
    last year

What did you decide on?

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last year

we went with SW agreeable grey

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last year

I'd like to do something with railings , spindles and handrails. Maybe all white ?

Also need an opinion on what to do with Table and chairs

• jbtanyderi
    last year

Run LED lighting along the top (toward the back) of the upper cabinets to get rid of the gloominess of the ceiling.

waterloo481 thanked jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Paint table and chairs black. If you want some wood, leave table top wood.

waterloo481 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is look. I would do table top black and leave base wood. Then add bread dough bowl to table.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last year

jbtanyderi - my husband is an electrician and he has lights above all the cupboards that come on with a counter switch- we use those at night.

Flo-I think some wood would add some warmth My thought was to paint railings white and base of table white. Leave table top wood

I was actually thinking of making a small black and white striped valance on the windows

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think you need contrast so black brings that. You can add flowers and colored appliances to counter to bring warmth. It looks great.