SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ning_vincent

Kumquat tree saved from near death - what now?

ABC 123
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a Nagami kumquat tree that I believe nearly died but I think now may be recovering thanks to advice from some great folks on this forum. It's growing new branches and leaves near the bottom of the trunk now, but I'm not sure what to do with them going forward.

I initially posted about the tree here when it started dying. The consensus opinion seemed to be that it was underwatered and rootbound. On some advice from that thread, I gave the whole pot a soaking in a tub and made sure to very thoroughly water my tree every week thereafter (~3L water each time).

After a couple of weeks, there are now several new leaves / branches growing, all near the bottom of the trunk. This seems to be a positive development, but had some questions on what should be done now:

1.) Should I nurture these new leaves / branches at the bottom, or do they need to be pruned?

I know in a healthy tree, they'd be classified as "suckers" and would normally be pruned. But since the rest of my tree is now barren, I feel like I should continue to nurture them.

2.) Should I prune my tree's branches any further (please see the below photos)?

In the photos I've pointed out 3 sections of my tree's trunk & branches based on differences in color:
A.) Branches - brown
B.) Trunk - brown with some green streaks
C.) Bottom of trunk - Light green and brown

Should I prune down the remaining branches? Does the trunk need to be trimmed at all?

3.) Should I repot into a 10 gallon pot ASAP, or wait until it's closer to spring?

I'm in NYC / zone 7b and the tree is kept indoors at room temperature. Since several commenters said my tree was probably rootbound, I want to repot it as soon as feasible, but I've seen people on other posts recommend against repotting stressed citrus trees in the middle of winter.

4.) I'm currently thinking of repotting in gritty mix - is that an suitable choice for my tree or are there others I should consider?

Thanks so much everyone! You helped rescue my tree from a terrible fate, I hope now with your advice I can nurture it back to its former health!

Comments (30)