SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ning_vincent

Dying kumquat tree

ABC 123
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm a first time plant parent and am struggling to keep alive a 4 year old kumquat tree that came into my possession 4 months ago. I have kept it in my apartment in a 5-gallon pot by a northeast facing window, supplemented by several red/blue LED grow lights for 12 hours each day. The temperature near the tree is currently in the low to mid 70s with a relative humidity of about 30%. It was doing very well until about a month ago, when one by one, the branches started browning and the leaves started shriveling up and dropping. Now there is only one branch with green leaves on it, and they are beginning to droop down.

I suspect the culprit might be malnutrition. Overwatering and mites were the primary problems I read about online, but I've always tried to water according to moisture meter readings, and I don't see any visible evidence of mites on the leaves (although it might just be escaping my eyes - please see attached photos and correct me if wrong!)

Anyway, due to my own ignorance, I didn't fertilized this tree at all until about ~1 week ago. On a recommendation, I began by lightly spraying Dyna Gro Foliage Pro onto the leaves at the recommended concentration for foliar spray. After a few days, I felt like this simply wasn't enough after such a long period without fertilizer - so I watered the plant with a Dyna Gro solution that was 2.5-3x the recommended concentration for biweekly/monthly fertilizing. At the time I was concerned about malnutrition but now I'm hoping I didn't inadvertently burn my plant…

What steps should I take now? Is there anything else that might be ailing my tree? My plan for now is to buy some Osmocote Smart Release as it seems like that's what the nursery might have been using as fertilizer (and how my plant managed to survive months without additional fertilization on my end), but am not sure if there's anything else I'm overlooking or doing wrong.

Comments (19)