SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palemorningdun

Org. Dilemma: Gear room, Mud room, Laundry

We are a family of 4 with a lot of recreational & outdoor gear. Our laundry room, which has an exterior door, is plenty large and has become the drop zone for everything. But looking at innovative mud room/laundry room ideas on Houzz doesn't come close to addressing our situation. We have Hockey gear. Skiing (XC and downhill) gear. Cycling gear. Yoga. Running. Cold weather gear. Warm weather gear. Epicly-cold weather gear. Rain gear. Rain boots. Snow boots. Flip flops by the dozen. Mittens and gloves and hats by the dozen. Camping gear. Swimwear, robes, towels (hot tub just outside this entry door)... the list goes on. And it all gets used. And it all needs to hang to dry out - at least at some point. The sports equipment goes elsewhere. Largely I am talking about clothing and footwear here.

Smart little individual cubbies won't cut it. We need major storage, and space to hang things. And surfaces to organize things. Maybe baskets to collect things. Seasonally I can tuck things away in closets. But, in winter especially, the gear comes out and stays out. It needs quick access.

Add to this the normal laundry room organizational quandaries. I have never seen a room really organized for this, although it's a situation I am sure many folks have been through. As the kids get older, I expect the amount of gear to only increase.

Current plan is to stack the washer/dryer in the corner, and add a countertop with sink and cabinets below the windows.

Thoughts? Resources? Images of similar rooms?

Much appreciated.

#firstworldproblems

#getoutsidemore

Comments (15)