SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_rindone

New Bosch Gas Range Won't Boil Water

Kristin K
6 years ago

Hello all. First time poster, here! I posted this on a board on Chowhound, and they suggested I posted here as well.

After much research and deliberation, I settled on this Bosch range below. Three weeks later (and $2,000), I've tried to boil little saucepans of an inch or two of water on the smaller burners and the water NEVER boils. Even after 15-18 minutes when most of the water has evaporated out of the pans. I just had a service technician from the appliance store over and he said that "everything was working fine and there was nothing he could do." Even after witnessing pots not boiling. A call to the sales rep that sold me the stove said that I can only use 2 of the 5 burners to boil water - the rest will never boil. The front left burner puts off 10,000BTU, the center 18,000 and the front right 15,000. The others are 5,000.

Granted, it's been a while since I purchased a new range however, shouldn't I be able to boil water even on the 10k burner....and it shouldn't take nearly 20 minutes? I don't know but now I'm having seriously buyers remorse. Is something wrong or am I just overreacting? My old GE profile had a "precise simmer" burner that was only 5,000btu's and it boil water like a champ!

Link - Bosch Range

Thoughts?

Additional update from Chowhound post:

It wasn't actually the Bosch rep, but the appliance shop that sold me the range that told me that. Like you, I just find that really hard to believe. I think most of us, especially growing up, have used stoves with far less output with a good - possibly even better - result than this.

I told the manager that I can't wrap my head around spending $2,000 on a stove where I can only boil water on 2 burners when I can go to the local Lowe's and spend $900 for a product that will work on all 4 burners. They're "doing some additional research" and getting back to me. They insist that this range has comparable output to a Thermador or Viking...

To answer whether I have covered the pans - 1 I have not because it's a small saucepan that doesn't have a lid. I've used a similar size pan with a cover and it still takes approx 14 minutes to come to a simmer around the outer edges of the pan but never a rolling boil.

Comments (36)