SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginamtom

Pics to share? RubioMonocoat nordic white with smoke added on red oak?

ginamtom
6 years ago

We have red oak floors from a 1968 home that we are refinishing. I love the way they look sanded. I've read quite a bit on this forum of suggestions for people to use the Rubio Monocoat nordic white with 5% smoke added to counter the red. Would anyone have any photos to share of their red oak floors finished with this product or something similar that keeps them white white looking? Have the results been lasting and are you happy with the finish?

I've also read that it's impossible to keep red oak looking like bare wood without it turning pink so not sure what to do. I was just hoping with todays technology, something has been developed.

I tried a sample of Bono Naturale finish on a sample and it's nice but not quite what I was hoping to be able to achieve. I really like the flat matte look of the product but it still darkens them enough that I'd like to try to find something that will whiten them. I was also told that if I use the Bono white stain, that it will settle on the edges of the floor slats and as the floor expands and contracts with the change in weather that the edges will look like white racing stripes.

It's been suggested that I use a very dark stain but we have yellow labs and if we use a dark dark finish, it will be difficult to keep the floors looking clean.

These forums have been wonderful and so helpful during our renovation. Thank you to everyone that takes the time to post!

Comment