SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sana_df

Are my expectations just too high for even the high end cabinet makers

sana_df
6 years ago

I need help – I recently hired a small local cabinet company to re-design my kitchen, and build, stain, and install the cabinets. They do all the work in their own shop and several family members seem to be engaged throughout the process. I selected the company because they actually built and installed the existing cabinets in my kitchen almost 60 years ago. I loved the old cabinets, but the door and drawer fronts were beyond repair. I do not know if I am being overly meticulous or if I have a right to feel disappointed and dissatisfied. Moreover, if I am in the right, what should I expect when I talk to the representative from the cabinetmaker’s company? Here are the issues:

There is a gap between doors on the cabinets.

a) The gap width is not the same at the bottom and top of the cabinets (picture attached).

b) Items placed in the cabinet are visible through the gap (picture attached).

Are these things normal?

I expected the cabinetmaker would drill holes on the back wall of the sink cabinet for plumbing fixtures so that the cabinet could slide over/around each pipe. Instead, the cabinetmaker imprecisely cut a rectangular shape out of part of the back of the cabinet, holes were cut for the pipes and then once in place, the rectangular piece was screwed to the kitchen wall leaving the back of the cabinet looking very sloppy (picture attached). Is this the standard way to accommodate plumbing fixtures?

In the inside of drawers, screws are placed in the front sometimes at an angle I guess to hold the front and sides together. Because screws are at an angle, they are not flush against any portion of the drawer and stick out to catch things (including hands) when putting things in our out of the drawers (picture attached). The drawers have dovetailing where wood intersects, so I am not sure why this is necessary. Is this appropriate?

In several places, screws used to attach cabinets to walls are drilled at an angle. Again, screws are not flush with the wood in the cabinet and it looks sloppy. The screws are completely visible when cabinet doors are open (picture attached). Is it too fussy to think the screws should be drilled straight for a flush finish against the wood of the cabinet? Is there something generally used to cover the screws and screw holes so they are not so visible?

In some places where screws are used to attach the cabinets to the kitchen wall, the screws are exposed 1-3 inches between the outside of the cabinet and the kitchen wall (picture attached). I realize this will not be visible when the countertop is installed, but it seems like it would this makes the cabinet installation less secure. Should wood be placed between the wall and cabinet so the screws are not exposed?

Between one cabinet and the wall, it was noted that the contractor left about 15-20 shims on the floor (picture attached). Again, this will be covered with the countertop, but it bothers me to think this is how they were left. Do homeowners typically clean up messes like this after a contractor leaves?

Before the counters were scheduled for installation, I contacted the cabinet company to request a walk-through of the kitchen to ensure everything met their expectations and to avoid problems once the cabinets came for installation. It is good we did this as the representative found the insert created for the refrigerator needed to be moved 1.5 inches to the right. The representative agreed this issue occurred because the plans developed by the cabinet company for me to share with the contractor did not include information regarding a 1.5 inch of wood designed to be placed beside the cabinet next to the refrigerator. My contractor was able to make this repair before the cabinet installation date.

Unfortunately, the representative did not notice or mention the electric outlet installed for the new stove location was also off by several inches. When I checked on the progress halfway through the first day of installation, I noticed the back of a cabinet had a hole cut to expose the misplaced outlet for the stove (picture attached). I was not happy and asked even with this accommodation how the electric cord for the stove was to reach the outlet. The installer from the cabinet company stated ‘just cut another hole on the side of the cabinet – it isn’t a big deal’. I replied, “It is a big deal to me”. I did not just pay all that money for holes to be willy-nilly placed all over the cabinets and if I had been notified and given an option, I would have asked the electrician to return and reposition the outlet. The cabinet installation was a three-day process and clearly there was time to fix the issue without drilling holes in the cabinet. Is it standard to just cut holes in the back and on the sides of new cabinets when outlets are misplaced?

This one is a little tricky. Four sides and a bottom can been seen when looking at the bottom of the upper cabinets. This is because the bottom of the cabinet is recessed up about an inch from where the cabinet door, sides and back end (picture attached). When looking at this area of the cabinet, I noticed the wood for the back and sides of the cabinet are finished (no roughness and stained nicely). These areas are visible when standing in front of the cabinets (picture attached). However, the back of the front panel isn’t sanded and stained (picture attached). In general, this area is not seen, but for one cabinet it is visible because it is an end unit and this area for all of the upper cabinets is exposed to food when preparing or cooking things on the counter below the upper cabinets. This inconsistency in sanding and staining exists between each cabinet on the inside and outside. This means it will be difficult to clean these areas well due to the roughness of the wood. Should this area of the cabinets have been sanded and stained like the other surfaces?

A piece of wood was cut and screwed to the side one of the cabinets. While in that position, it was spray stained. When the installer removed the piece from the cabinet, an unstained area was exposed and a drill hole from the screw remained. I realize as long as the dishwasher is in place no one will ever know about the spray paint, but the hole will always be visible (picture attached). Is it unreasonable to expect the cabinetmaker to pay more attention to details like this?

The installer from the cabinetmaker company drilled about 8 holes in three or four places around the kitchen (picture attached). My guess is that this was to find studs. These remain and I assume will be covered by the countertops, I just think there are less invasive ways available to find studs behind drywall and don’t appreciate all the holes.

Everything was left dirty; from a fine film of dust to thick dust and even areas where visible piles of debris from sanding and sawing can be found (pictures attached). I expected as a symbol of pride in workmanship and to fully expose the beauty of the wood and complete lack of scratches, knicks, etc. that the company would want to clean and dust as part of the final step of the installation. Is this too much to think?

In every cabinet, screw heads are exposed (picture attached). They stand out so significantly that I wonder if they are routinely covered by a cap or something. Perhaps these will be less noticeable when the cabinets are full of food and cookware, but for now, it is all I see!

One smaller upper cabinet placed over the stove has a screw at the top of the cabinet and the bottom of the cabinet (picture attached). I checked and did not find screws on the sides between cabinets. The microwave/vent will be placed under the cabinet over the stove. Is it adequate to have only two screws holding a cabinet to the wall?

On the inside of the large cabinet over the refrigerator, I noted a long scratch (picture attached). I cannot tell if the scratch is a gauge or if the wood is split. No one mentioned this and it looks like stain is not completely covering the area. Should I complain about this?

At the bottom of the cabinet enclosure for the refrigerator cabinet, there are two screws touching each other and a hole with no screws. This will not be visible when the refrigerator is in place, but it doesn’t’ look right.

I love the new cabinets and realize many of the things I noticed in isolation are minor complaints. It is the accumulated number of issues noted that leaves me torn and so filled with disappointment. The areas where there are holes are the worst. To deal with this either means weeks of delays while the backs and one side of the cabinets are replaced or live the next 50 years with cabinets that look incompetently installed and to possibly be devalued if I try to sell the house. To have someone say “it is no big deal” reflects the lack of pride in craftsmanship and I really thought I had done my homework and hired a reputable company that demonstrated pride in the quality of its work.

~ 4

Comments (45)

• klem1
    6 years ago

,I 100% agree with what you say about , “it is no big deal”, because that many short falls on one job is a big deal.

sana_df thanked klem1
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am confused. You state it's a small LOCAL AND CUSTOM shop. then you say........

. Moreover, if I am in the right, what should I expect when I talk to the representative from the cabinetmaker’s company?

Which is it? Is EVERY single component of the box made on site, or are door and drawer faces ordered in, stained and assembled at the shop? They are two different things.

That said, your lengthy laundry list, most of which is minor and hidden behind door nobody ( even you) will ever see? The details you desire, countersunk screws with COVERS.......?? would go with a 200k kitchen!! If they even existed there.

The other issues, such as minimal drawer gap and alignment are install issues of adjustment on site. Request a detail crew to address those issues.

No disrespect intended, but given you are mounting a microwave over a cook, I sincerely doubt this is a 200k kitchen, and you are armed with unrealistic expectation even for a 200k kitchen.

I would POLITELY explain dissatisfaction with the minor install adjusting that may not have taken place, that can be SEEN . I would not expect little screw covers inside,.. It seems most of your issues are with install, and not with the actual cabinetry. If you need the drywall holes fixed? Request that as well. And then I would get busy enjoying my kitchen, which I am sure is if you post a finished picture......absolutely fine.

• Related Discussions

Expectations too high for VRT?

Q

Comments (7)
    It sounds to me as if yours is exceptionally wobbly. I've had the Samsungs (328) since the end of May and I can say I never hear it spinning. Mine are on pedestals, 1st floor laundry room next to kitchen, laminate flooring. Mine wobbles a bit when it first starts, like it is trying to balance, but when it maxes out - no wobble what so ever. The only time it gets my attention is when it is filling with cold water (it makes more noise than the hot for some reason). I got mine from Lowes and they did take a long time to level mine. In fact the kept screwing with the legs until it sits a good 1/2" - 1" higher than the dryer. But at least its good and level. I think you should tinker with the leveling some more. Just my opinion :)
    ...See More

Just what makes cabinets 'high-end' anyway???

Q

Comments (16)
    We have what I guess are "high-end" custom cabinets from Plato Woodwork. I can remember asking myself the same question - what is the difference. Some of the first cabinets I'd seen - that were very nice - were Durasupreme. I later visited a friend's KD showroom where she had a nice display with three different cabinet lines in three different price ranges - including Woodmode and Brookhaven. Woodmode had thicker doors/drawers than Brookhaven and she said there were more steps in the finishing process for Woodmode. Neither of those things really seemed to make Woodmode worth more money to me - it was that Woodmode allowed more custom options. She now also carries Durasupreme line which is more moderately priced - and likes that line because it is good quality, more economical but does allow for more custom options. We recently looked at some newer homes - potentially relocating. These were generally pretty nice homes - not cheap by any means. That is when I really realized the difference between "high end" and what I can only think must have been "low end" cabinets. The doors/drawer fronts were practically paper thin compared with mine. They just seemed cheap and flimsy to me - there's just a lot less material there. They looked nice at a distance until you opened a door or drawer. Of course the drawer boxes are completely different as well - as others have pointed out. I probably would never have noticed this before I redid my kitchen and became TKO - though my 30 year old cabinets were not thin and flimsy either.
    ...See More

Are my expectations too high?

Q

Comments (28)
    In our case, our builder was a college grad and former successful accountant. Why he wanted to build houses I'll never know. He would be the perfect no personality, deadpan, humorless accountant, lol. I feel for you nhbaskets because we asked repeatedly for an accounting sheet because that was supposed to be his big advantage having been an accountant in the past. He was going to give us regular updates. When we did finally get it, it was about what we thought but had hoped to be wrong, lol. We put quite a bit of cash in along the way as you are doing to pad the allowances. Such as I wanted to buy my own lighting rather than have the cheapest brass fixtures from local big box stores that are in every other house on the street. Ditto with ceiling fans, faucets, those cosmetic features on the exterior such as trim over and under the windows, exterior lighting. I had to laugh when you talked about the wainscot. I was just getting warmed up on choosing windows and stopped by the house later that week and every window was already in! I was shocked!!! Windows are very important to me because the house we moved from had single pane, ill fitting swollen wood windows that wouldn't open without a body builder's help. They would fall shut. Well, these are the same way though they are double pane. They have those awful pinch in mullions that you can take out to clean the window but they never stay in after that and fall out all the time and then just fall apart. Did I mention that I HATE them? Errr….Some of the things still bug me but life goes on. As it turns out, they cut a swath to a new parkway that I can see from my house now and I almost never have the windows open. So much for my wooded view. I have some french doors that I open for cross ventilation sometimes but it's not peaceful since they put the new road in. Sheesh….it's not right in my backyard but I can see it from a distance and it's amazing how much dust and noise it creates. It must have been badly needed because it is constantly busy! Looking back on it I would say you are correct, communication was the whole thing that was missing. I thought we were going to have the opportunity to choose everything from insulation to roofing materials but that was not to be the case. He was calling himself a custom builder but what he meant was you can choose this color or that but everything else was by "his book". He was getting good rates on materials for buying in bulk and being a good payer of bills which let to a spotless reputation. That did not include customer satisfaction but if you checked on him he would have a spotless reputation as far as honesty and paying his suppliers and his subs. That can not be said of all of them. I can see now why he would consider us such a PITA but we felt just as put out not understanding that we did not actually have much say in the process. This was at the height of the building boom and he had more business than he could handle and besides building our house he was building an entire subdivision that was going to be his true bread and butter. It sort of bugged me that those houses were bigger and more impressive than ours but cheaper in price. But the difference is when you go outside the margins of mass production the price goes up exponentially. He probably got a better deal on the land as well. I feel now that some of the misunderstanding was partly our fault as we were just so naive and with him being a man of few words and not good with social skills, it just was a disaster waiting to happen. The pros are that it's a well built house, the framing is excellent, we have very few nail pops, we've never had a roof leak or a basement leak or any other major problem with anything "knock on wood". So I feel grateful for that, the big stuff was definitely done well. I've changed a lot of the cosmetic things over the years through updating things as needed.
    ...See More

How high is too high...

Q

Comments (10)
    desertsteph - yes, ideally I would prefer the MW to be lower. But I REALLY want my double ovens too! If I could just find a way to get both... ;-) momof3kids_pa - Thanks for the picture. That does help me visualize it better. Unfortunately, somebody uses the MW almost every day. That's why I nixed DH's idea of maybe putting it in our pantry cabinet. I don't want to have to open a cabinet every time it's used nor did I want it taking up valuable pantry space. It's so limited already. Anybody have some alternative ideas?
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

Stop watching sausage get made. You need to take a chill pill and let them do their work.

Adjusting doors, touch ups, and 70% of what is on your list is not addressed until the very last of the job that does not happen until after the counters go on. The other 30% is make work worry over nothing.

If doors do not have gaps between them, they physically cannot open. If you wanna kitchen that you can put your plates it, it includes having operable doors. With small gaps between them.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

What would concern me possibly the most is the apparent drywall screws holding the cabinets in and not cabinet screws.

sana_df thanked millworkman
  • User
    6 years ago

I see square drive wood screws, which aren’t cabinet screws, but acceptable, and a drywall screw. If the majority are the square drive, and the back is load bearing ply instead of a hanger rail system, it’s fine. As long as there are not more drywall screws.

The other thing I see is a loose definition of custom that uses a spray stain toner to begin with instead of a hand wiped one. Those details should have been discussed on the front end, and if the construction methodology was acceptable, then the quality level of the project is set far long before the install. It’s too late to expect fine furniture quality and Norm Abrams when much lower quality parameters were specified to begin with. A custom specified Chevy Sonic is still a custom vehicle but it ain’t a RR Silver Shadow.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

As I said........" The cabinet makers representative" ?? This is a semi custom kitchen at BEST. Ninety nine percent of the issues are total minutae.never again seen by owner or guest when in use. Not likely to fall off the walls anytime soon either, is my guess. All other minutae, such as drawer gap alignment easily addressed at completion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I agree with all the above and the shims are because your wall is not perfect just like the rest of us.Just because some relative 60 yrs ago did something does not mean it will happen the same way now.

sana_df thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

All my kitchen doors have a very small gap ..the should have used a stud finder they a simple to use ..i use one in the house to find studs and electric wires mine does both ... and as to shims on the floor..you should have seen the crap under my cabinets when the had finished ..men just don't clean up as well as women ..out sight etc !

sana_df thanked Snaggy
  • sana_df
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

Jan, it is a small family owned company located within an hour of my home - all the work is done on-site from ordering the wood for the cabinets and building the cabinets to staining the cabinets and then installing the cabinets once ready.

Sophie, I (like you) anticipated the cabinets would be hand stained. I re-read the contract and it does not specify how the stain will be applied.

Milworkman, the screw used between cabinet and wall are the same throughout as far as I can tell. In each case it required a tool with a square tip for installation. In most cases, the screws are going into an actual stud. In one case, I noticed three screws are used and all are at odd angles. I don't know if they ever found a stud for the back of that cabinet (they are in a stud on the side of the cabinet to the wall). Because of all the lined up holes used to search for studs, I can tell where screws are lined up with the stud in most cases.

I agree many of the issues are minor and did not write my note until after the installer indicated they were finished. It is actually the number of minor issues that makes it so disappointing. The holes for screws, plumbing and electrical are what stand out to me as as more major and they will be visible even after counter tops are installed. I think about how I will see the back of the cabinet every time I clean under the sink. Granted that is not often, but often enough when knowing I will re-experience that sinking feeling in my gut no matter what the interval. As it turns out, the issue with number 14 above is that the wood split in the cabinet above the refrigerator - it is not a scratch or gouge. I am not sure what remedy is considered appropriate for this type issue.

Again, thank you for your comments and insights they are extremely helpful for a novice like me. I am glad forums like this exist to help explain what is considered customary and standard for various industries for home owners who are working outside of their comfort zone.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

Wow your under sink cabinet actually has a wood back. When I look into mine, I see drywall with oversized holes for the plumbing to come out of. No back at all. I actually think the way they cut that out is fairly clever and nice looking, considering.

Not a pro but...I would have used a block or shim to put a mounting screw through behind any cabinet with a gap between the back and the wall. Just for stability.

Visible screws inside a drawer front to hold the front on are more or less OK, but sticking out at an angle seems sloppy to me. That screw could just as easily have been put in from the outside of the drawer and you'd never see it unless the drawer was open and you looked for it. Instead the head is sticking out permanently into the drawer. It doesn't seem like the best workmanship to me.

sana_df thanked toxcrusadr
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Boxes are often custom built. Drawer faces and doors are often " ordered" by your "custom " cabinet maker and he stains or paints. It's a blend of custom and semi in fact.

The more major point is you are unreasonably "disappointed" . Paying money, ANY amount in fact, does not actually always guarantee perfection. You are not going to stare under a sink base ! Nor will anyone else! Had you said..... I want the inside of my sink cabinet to look as finished as the exterior?! I guarantee you'd have abandoned the idea when shown the price tag. Kindly put, you are focused on nothing burgers. Start enjoying the MEAL! Please

• PRO
    GannonCo
    6 years ago

I am surprised by some of the responses?

Anyway it looks like the cabinet builder hired or sublet the installation out. Just because they say they work there or have t shirts doesn't mean they actually build and install.

Craftsmanship should extend to the instal. Cabinet to wall screws should be uniform and driven straight. A simple chamfer bit and the correct screws would give a more finished look. If you look on Amazon or ? you can purchase small stick on covers fro the screw heads. If they were done more uniform you probably wouldn't have noticed.

the underside of cabinets or those covered by appliances are a non issue but they become one when you notice the other shoddy instal issues.

I have no idea why you have screws angled on those drawers but I can guess that i show they are attaching their drawer fronts?

The cut outs for undersink could have been been cut better but usually they are just open. Use a touch up pencil on the cuts and when you fill the cab they will disappear.

The door gaps can be adjusted the hinges are usually adjustable and yes they could be closed up a 1/16" to narrow them up.

They should have cleaned up and the idea that a woman or a man cleans up better is just sexist and ridiculous. they should have cleaned up.

My opinion here? I would take a ride by this so called custom cabinet shop. I suspect they arent actually making the cabinets. Someone with the skill to make dovetail joints isn't going to drive a sheetrock screw into a drawer. The other oddity is the stained interiors? Sorry but these do not look custom made. Anybody who makes cabinets can see the construction doesn't look like a real custom cabinet shop made these. The look like mail order cabinets. Sorry.

In the end have them come readjust and conceal the crew heads and all should be ok.

sana_df thanked GannonCo
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

wannabath...*They should have cleaned up and the idea that a woman or a man cleans up better is just sexist and ridiculous. they should have cleaned up.* Not a sexist or ridiculous remark ... just one of experience over the years ..builders never clean up to the standard you would like !

sana_df thanked Snaggy
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I agree with Joe on this one. The installer has to be as proficient as the cabinet maker and installing cabinets takes a lot of talent. It’s not just throwing cabinets on a wall.
    sana_df thanked gtcircus
  • beth09
    6 years ago

I'm sorry your cabinets didn't turn out as you expected. I can imagine how you feel. I hope you can come to a good resolution and enjoy your new kitchen. :)

sana_df thanked beth09
  • sofaspud
    6 years ago
    I agree with the posters who said the intallation shouldn't be hacked, and some of this looks that way. However, it seems apparent that this was a difficult install as evidenced by the large gaps between the cabinets and walls. Indicates lots of issues with plumb and level. I used square drive cabinet screws when I did my install. They are much more attractive than drywall screws and have small washer heads that dressed up the hole and didn't require countersinking.
    sana_df thanked sofaspud
  • sana_df
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joseph, I need clarification related to a statement posted, " Screws through cabinets without proper shimming as you've pictured will "rack" (pull cabinets out of square) cabinets, affecting drawer and door function."

Is that a reference to what is seen in these two photos where the screw goes from the cabinet to the drywall to the stud with an area between the cabinet and drywall showing a portion is exposed?

Is the standard practice to put wooden shims or blocks of wood between the cabinet and drywall? If yes, does eliminating exposure of the screw improve stability or just make an area that will be unseen in the end (after counter top installation) look more finished for the short time that the installation process is exposed?

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Thank you Sana-DF,

you wrote: "Again, thank you for your comments and insights they are extremely helpful for a novice like me. I am glad forums like this exist to help explain what is considered customary and standard for various industries for home owners who are working outside of their comfort zone."

There are many of us on Houzz who are out of our comfort zones. Your post helps those of us doing Kitchen renovations learn what to expect or not expect. My wish for you is that you get the information you need so that you can be armed with knowledge to tackle what you want to have the kitchen you want.

sana_df thanked Boxerpal
  • Belle La Vue
    6 years ago

As someone who recently completed a renovation, I would urge you not to nit pick every little thing ... First, nothing is perfect but second, you will wear them out and when you have a big issue they won’t listen. Pick the significant visible issues and address them with your cabinet maker...let the rest go. Contractors are messy and only broom clean. It is normal to expect you would need to wipe down cabinets before you can use them and wash floors etc... and don’t even get me started on contractors/ work people using your bathroom ugh. Just be glad they are done.

sana_df thanked Belle La Vue
  • sana_df
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Several individuals responding to my post asked questions or sought clarification on the screws used between the cabinet and the drywall to the stud. I have taken three pictures ( I have a screw going through the back of the cabinet into the back wall of the kitchen) to show the side of a screw as it looks screwed in an angle, the front of the screw to see what the head of the screw looks like and the same screw from the area between the back of the cabinet and the drywall. I can say (because the screws are screwed in at an angle) that the nut is attached to the screw. It is one piece - it is not two separate pieces.

My concern with this issue was always about the security of the installation of the cabinets. The particular screw I selected when taking the three pictures is not put into a stud. I was able to tell this by nailing a 2 inch nail right above where the screw enters the drywall. Because there is no stud behind the drywall in this area, it was easy to remove the nail with my fingers. In most cases, the screw does mount to a stud on the other side of the drywall (I checked).

Also, related to my previous post showing pictures of exposed screws, it was not an issue of the squareness of the walls (although that is an issue for our 80 year old home), but was intentionally done to accommodate the window sill. We needed to be able to open drawers very close to a window sill and did not want the drawers to damage or become damaged by the sill.

• wacokid
    6 years ago

This was a terrible installation job by a guy that did not know what he was doing. Screws should have pilot holes drilled so when drilled in they are flush with the cabinet wall and should be straight. Drywall screws are weak and snap easily, especially cheap ones, and should never be used to install cabinets. The holes for the plumbing pipes are not bad. It looks like you will be able to remove the portion of the cabinet that was cut in a square and then drilled if there is ever a need for plumbing repair. The holes cut for the water lines just need to be filled. If I have a gap between the wall and the cabinet I secure a strip of wood to the wall studs and then screw the cabinet into it. The electrical outlet needs to be moved. It looks like you cannot install a face plate on it and even plug in the appliance? Cabinets should be screwed together for alignment and strength, not left freestanding. The studs should have been located and marked before the installation, you do not drill holes into cabinets hoping to find one. If you are finding screws that are not drilled into a wall stud then they need to be removed and fixed. This was not a "difficult" install and I am not even a "pro".

sana_df thanked wacokid
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

toxcrusadr, Wow your under sink cabinet actually has a wood back. When I look into mine, I see drywall with oversized holes for the plumbing to come out of.

Your cabinets are stick built - original, built-in-place cabinets. Not pre-built cabinet boxes.

sana_df thanked Chessie
  • jellytoast
    6 years ago

"Contractors are messy and only broom clean."

I wouldn't lump all contractors into one group of slobs. I've worked with countless contractors and a good many of them pride themselves on leaving a clean jobsite when they are done. One example: I recently had new wood floors installed throughout my home and the contractor cleaned every inch of them on his hands and knees at the end of the job and left my home spotless.

sana_df thanked jellytoast
  • jellytoast
    6 years ago

I, too, am surprised by some of the comments here. Craftsmanship extends into the areas that are not visible as well. As soon as someone says, "You're never going to see that" I begin wondering what other sins they are covering up.

sana_df thanked jellytoast
  • klem1
    6 years ago

"As soon as someone says, "You're never going to see that" I begin wondering what other sins they are covering up."

Similar to a repairman having fasteners and parts left over after job is finished (it didn't need those anyhow).

sana_df thanked klem1
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

I am with the op...these things would bother me. It’s disheartening to see the pileup of these minor issues. I wouldn’t expect the exposed screws to be covered, but I would expect them to be properly countersunk and flat so there is no danger of cutting oneself on them. I shouldn’t have to be careful or be concerned I’ll cut myself every time I open a drawer or stick my hand inside a cabinet. My expectation is that things will be done neatly and with care. Not sloppy, not crooked, not half baked. I would not want holes in my sheetrock either (even though they will be hidden behind the cabinets). The more holes, the easier the access for bugs and critters to find their way into the living space of my home. During our construction, every crack and crevice was filled in around plumbing and electrical (this was code I believe), along with every visible opening and crack in the wood sheeting/studs etc....everything was completely sealed. I would want my sheetrock to be an additional barrier to intrusion as well.

Unfortunately, sloppy work is pretty much the norm theses days in the building/remodel world. The level of care as well as expertise is severely lacking.

I end up being the one who cleans up after our subs. I have pulled out tons of trash from inside walls that will never be seen by anyone...but I will not apologize for doing so nor do I accept the fact that it’s minor or unimportant. As an example, if one does not completely clean out sawdust and sheetrock dust that is in between studs and in the walls and sub floor, every single time you turn on your HVAC system that dust is being sucked through your home which generates tons of dust. A number of years ago when we were in the process of a new build, I thoroughly and regularly vacuumed all the sawdust and sheetrock dust on the job site. You could not find a spec of dust in-between the studs or anywhere else. That home was the most dust free environment I’ve ever lived in. I virtually never had to dust. It’s a small and seemingly unimportant and insignificant (and picky) thing to expect people to clean up after themselves, but it makes a HUGE difference in the outcome of things and can affect the way our homes function for years to come.

sana_df thanked Nidnay
  • klem1
    6 years ago

So am I nidnay,and truth be known others would be more concurned were it their place.

sana_df thanked klem1
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

If there are no shims or blocking, a screw can pull a cabinet into a bow and out of square. This is the first thing a cabinet installer learns on his first day and this guy didn't do it.

sana_df thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

"The more holes, the easier access for bugs and critters to find their way into the living space of my home. "

Exactly. Ants drive me NUTS. Obviously I will never be able to be completely rid of them, but I would be pissed if I found out those holes had been made and left like that. In fact, I would be furious. That is just stupidity and poor workmanship. I disagree completely with the posts that are saying these things are no big deal. I would never leave such crap in someone's home after doing a job - at least not if I was being paid for it. (I am no professional - but I have done various odd handyman-type things for friends over the years.)

sana_df thanked Chessie
  • User
    6 years ago

To have high end expectations, you must first purchase high end products produced by high end pros. Which is not the case here. At all. This is all low end products and low end work. The expectations do not meet the specifications. More research was needed. And a much bigger budget.

“Custom” does not equate to high end. “Custom” does not equate to quality.

All custom really means is designed for you. A kitchen full of cheepchinesecrapola stock products designed to fit your kitchen is all too frequently called a “custom” kitchen.

There are numerous salesman who oversell. You have to do your due diligence. Or have a KD who will do it for you.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5005595/refridgerator-fit-cabinet-install-issue-suggestions-please

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5081033/contractor-built-cabinets-using-drywall-as-the-back?n=6

The Install is commensurate with the quality of the product and the skills of of all associated with it. Water seeks its level.

You can’t buy a Mazda and expect a Mercedes. I would hope that most people look beyond the buzz words if “leather seats” and “automatic traction control” and “Bluetooth” to see that there is a BIG difference between a Mazda and a Merc.

For some reason, they don’t seem to do that with home remodeling components. Buzz words ain’t quality.

• Nikki N
    6 years ago

Just throwing this out there... if the cabinet maker, small family business worked to ensure the quality of the cabinets, I would think they would also see the imperfections in this install and make corrections as needed. I would hope you wouldn't have to spend 200K on a kitchen to expect not to cut your hand in a drawer or have cabinets insecurely attached to the wall. please update and post a photo of the overall kitchen. Hoping you find reasonable resolution.

• Paul
    6 years ago

Personally, I don't think you are out of line here at all. I see a lot of apologists on this thread who are excusing what looks to me like shoddy, careless workmanship. There seem to be issues with cabinet construction, and definite issues with installation. I also see several people on this thread who are saying, in effect, choose your battles. To me, this amounts to appeasing the workers, and is nonsense. The attitude of several posters seems to be, don't piss off the workers, because they might not like you anymore and will do an even worse job. These guys are working for YOU and you have a right to have the job done as you see fit. As long as you are willing to pay a fair wage, you have a right to expect fair workmanship. Just one man's opinion.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"These guys are working for YOU and you have a right to have the job done as you see fit."

Mmmm...kinda. I explain to my customers how the job will be done and that's what they buy and get.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Joe, I hear you, but your work is the exception, not the rule, unfortunately.

• Paul
    6 years ago
    Joe, I thought about adding a “you get what you pay for” caveat on my post. You’re right, of course. Nevertheless, it’s hard to excuse what looks to be shoddy workmanship on the install.
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Paul, I agree with almost all of what you are saying except...

"These guys are working for YOU and you have a right to have the job done as you see fit. "

In Theory you are a 100% correct and I wish it were the case. But in my own renovation, I am hiring the GC and paying the GC. He is hiring the "guys are working"... construction team for demo, the electricians, the plumbers, the appliance co, the stone fabricators, (not tiling so no tiler) the flooring installers, the carpenters, the clean up crews, the painters...The guys are working for him. I assume and would hope that the GC will hire safe, honorable, hardworking, talented and qualified sub contractors to do the work. That is not always the case for everyone. Sometimes these specifics need to be in the contract!

I feel for the poster. I am not sure what is normal in a kitchen install and look forward to their final kitchen reveal. I am hopeful for and thankful to Sana-Df for posting this to non professionals like myself so that we can all learn from this and make better decisions in our kitchen journeys. Because of this post we hired a separate kitchen cabinet maker/installer with an impeccable reputation. Fingers crossed all goes well.

I do agree with your theory Paul! Together we can learn all we can so we can be advocates in this process. Hoping that everything works out for Sana-Df.

Joe, you are one of those fantastic people ("guy working for you") that explain in detail what we as a buyer are paying for. Wish there were more of you around the planet.

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

"Joe, you are one of those fantastic people ("guy working for you") that explain in detail what we as a buyer are paying for. Wish there were more of you around the planet."

Ditto and amen!

• Heidi Kostrey
    6 years ago
    I’m sorry, but you shouldn’t have to spend 200K to get quality hole-free, solid, appropriately installed cabinets. A Mazda isn’t a Mercedes, but it’s still reliable and safe.

My husband and brother renovated my 30K kitchen and the workmanship is solid. Some minor fixes here and there which have since been fixed, but overall is solid.

To the original poster - I would ask the cabinet company to address these details, and then enjoy your kitchen! You will be able to overlook the more minor issues (cuts inside the cabinets, etc.) after your renovation shock wears off!
  • Paul
    6 years ago
    “In Theory you are a 100% correct and I wish it were the case. But in my own renovation, I am hiring the GC and paying the GC. He is hiring the "guys are working"... “

Sure. That goes without saying. But it’s really just a question of who’s azz gets chewed. If you hire a GC, then for sure you should rag on the GC and expect him to hire decent help and then to supervise their work scrupulously . But still, at the end of the day, you’re footing the bill.

Not to engage in too much gratuitous thread drift, but this is the major reason why we hired a design/build firm to do the kitchen reno in which we are right in the middle even as we speak (the flooring sub was here yesterday...). I wanted one throat to choke. So we put a lot of time into choosing the firm, and went with one that we felt shared our values as to what constitutes quality workmanship, and then left it to them to choose appropriate subs. We actually talked about their subs at some length during the selection process. So far, so good but we’ll see.

That’s one of the reasons why the OP’s situation is so disheartening. One would have thought that a small, local cabinet maker would have a lot to gain by carefully choosing the subs. But there might have been extenuating circumstances.

At the end of the day, I agree with several of the recent posters - unless the OP went out and hired minimum wage laborers in the Home Depot parking lot, he has a right to expect a decent level of workmanship, and it doesn’t look like that’s what he got.
  • Paul
    6 years ago
    Here’s where we are as of now. Demo is done (obviously), rough in electrical and plumbing inspected, drywall done, now working on floor patches. Cabinets are supposed to show up next week.
  • thetzone
    6 years ago

You absolutely DO NOT need to spend 200K to get a quality remodel. Sophie loves to propagate this false information. “A mazda ain’t a Mercedes” is a ridiculous statement to make because yes while they are entirely different price points and companies, each one has its benefits and the price does not make one less safe or functional than the other. OP is reasonably upset over some things and deserves explanation

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    6 years ago

Very sloppy work showing a very poor attention to detail. It has nothing to do with how much you spend. Regardless of the price or quality of cabinets, they were poorly and carelessly installed and I think OP has every right to be upset. The idea someone has to spend a couple hundred thousand on a kitchen to get good craftsmanship is just ridiculous. My kitchen (the dreaded Ikea) cost $25K (small kitchen 10 x 13). I have none of the installation issues described here because my DH is a carpenter who takes pride in his work. This was a lazy job that damaged the OP’s very nice cabinets. I would expect redress.

• Jessica
    6 years ago

Any & all concerns you have are always VALID! Don't ever feel stupid for brining things up and asking the craftsman about them....NOT asking questions is a major source of disappointment because people don't want to ruffle feathers, but in all honesty- any true master of a craft understands that people don't know the in's & out's of how their work is done and they should be more than happy to answer all questions or concerns.

They should be willing to explain to you why things are done the way they are. If they aren't, or they brush you off its usually a sign they cut corners for the sake of cost & time...which isn't acceptable & DEFINITELY not for custom built cabinetry! I'm personally a detail oriented person and ask a TON of questions when working with a new company or spending a large amount on something I don't fully understand already.

• Jessica
    6 years ago

1) Regarding the screws....

For the drawer faces: Pocket holes should be drilled into the face frames if they must be attached permanently vs using the hardware to keep them on. The pocket holes should have covers attached (either the plastic or wood options). I personally prefer if they are removable via removal of the hardware so they can be changed out or refaced in the future & since you're going the custom route I'd defiantly want it!

Inside the cabinets: A pilot hole should be drilled prior to screw if the wood hardness requires it & the screw counter sunk (slightly below the side walls) with or without plastic caps (depending on the company).

Cabinet/Wall Brace:Are all the cabinets secured to the wall with simple screws?? I was really surprised to see this! How are they making sure the bases are secured to studs & not just drilled through into the gypsum board? In the past I've seen cabinet makers use a base board across the run anchored into wall studs and the bases are then secured to the board.

Holes: The hole that will be exposed once the dishwasher is installed needs to be fixed.

The fridge cabinet with the double screws and the blank hole is ridiculous...whomever was doing the install rushed and didn't care about screw placement or taking the time to properly aline things before drilling. Again= Custom built should = quality control and care!

Yes there are MUCH better ways of finding the studs...even just using your knuckles to knock on the wall can get you close enough that a max of 2 holes might need drilled if you miss it the first time....again, sloppy work installing.

The range microwave: Did they know that cabinet was going to support a microwave/hood?

I'd ask about the install and max weight support. I don't believe 2 screws is enough to hold it (especially if they only screwed it into the wall & not a support board!) but don't know...I'd just hate to have it come crashing down a year from now!

*You need to make sure the cabinet makers know that screw placement & finish result is important to you and you expect no screws will be felt or seen once the install is complete.

2) Shims:

Yes, it's totally normal for wood shims to be left under the cabinets. Floors aren't completely level and in a new build the house will settle over time and the floor will change so it's important that the cabinets can be leveled. This is why RTA cabinets like IKEA have adjustable feet on the base that's hidden with a toe kick. Custom cabinet makers use wood shims to level on site during install and those can then be removed or added to as time goes on and any changes are required to keep the cabinets level.

3) Fixture & Outlet Holes:

Yes, it's common to have large square pre-cut from the backs before install as plumbing is different for every job & since fixtures change depending on the choices made in faucet, garbage disposal, dishwasher lines, etc they can't make exact cuts. Again, this is why a lot of RTA cabinets are backless and if the backing is ordered it must be cut by the installer to fit the existing fixture spaces.

HOWEVER- I totally agree with your being upset about the range plug placement and their solution to cut another hole into the side of the custom cabinet boxes. Although- I'm not entirely sure I understand correctly if it had to go through another base to reach the outlet or just the base of that unit vs the back side where a hole was already cut? I don't know what another solution would have been....

4) Cabinet Face Gaps:

Are you doing a full overlay with the new build as well? I completely agree that the gap's should be consistent and you definitely shouldn't be able to see the contents of the drawers! If the cabinets are full overlay why is the frame not hiding the contents?

If they are custom inset then I'd be very picky about how it all lines up since this is a fine craft that requires skill & time to get right (hence the excessive cost)...plus wood swells & contracts so they need to fit properly with a slight consistent gap after install.