SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Christmas Dinner, anyone?

annie1992
6 years ago

My family Christmas dinner was yesterday. I know, it's late, but my daughter works midnights at an Assisted Living Facility as a CNA and my son-in-law is a police officer, also on 3rd shift, so sleeping during the day is a necessity and holidays are great opportunities to put in overtime. It gave me extra time to plan the menu!

That included the last ham from our locally obtained pork which my dear husband cured and smoked, in spite of the weather which was below zero much of the time, and that will continue this week. The smoker went into the pole barn and although it took some time to get started, eventually we had a ham.

Au gratin potatoes were made with potatoes from our storage and I tried a new recipe for butternut squash which also used up a couple of apples from storage, as well as a huge 5 pound butternut squash. It was very good, I'll do that again. Two quarts of green beans got cooked along with a pound of our homesmoked bacon, and a rhubarb pie was produced with a couple of the bags of frozen rhubarb from the freezer. I ground some wheat for the dinner rolls, but purchased King Arthur Flour for the white rolls. We also had the last of the cookies and fudge, as well as a banana cream pie for the sole reason that my son in law loves them. Nutella mousse because the kids needed something chocolate besides fudge, LOL.

So, what did you use for your Christmas (or any other holiday) dinner? Or breakfast, for that matter, or other meal you celebrated with your family?

Annie

Comments (6)