SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Out with the old year! Wring its neck!

I don't know about the rest of you forum members, but 2017 is a year I will be distinctly glad to see the last of. Basically we spent much of the year staving off disasters, which fortunately mostly didn't happen, but Heavens, what a way to live. I'm hopeful 2018 will be an improvement, but there are no guarantees.

DH survived major surgery, and a second surgery, and is in good shape. The garden (and we) survived a prolonged grueling drought and heat wave, unwatered except for the plants in the ground less than a year. Blessings on the heads of our neighbors who allowed us to water them from their pond, which didn't run dry, as there was a complete ban on watering from mid-June until this fall. We lost some plants, but the great majority survived. (Not to mention plants like my my mature 'De la Maitre-Ecole' getting up to six feet, drought and all.) The political situation dismays me; the economic situation scares me. This month we had a spectacular ice storm that downed thousands of trees in our area and which, as far as our property is concerned, is going to keep me busy for months to come. Our dog died this summer: I continue to miss him.

What I'm mainly hopeful for in 2018 is rain; for the rest, I don't know what faces us. We're having a normally chilly and wet winter so far, thank goodness. We're all alive, all healthy (DH still has another surgery ahead), though now I'm worried about one of our cats, advancing in age and with an ill-defined problem (she's already been to the vet once). DD graduated from high school, finishing well, and is now in university and feeling like she's in the right place: the chief clearly good thing that happened this past year. We have a roof over our heads. We're making ends meet. We get along with each other.

When I think about it we're fortunate people.

Comments (22)