SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Recent experiences ... adventures

joyfulguy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our cars must pass an emissions test every two years, and I got a provisional two years ago, after I'd spent $450. on repairs ... but I'm required to pass, this time (before the end of January).

My garage told me after the last one that I needed a major replacement on the exhaust system that would cost around $1,200. ... and I asked some months later whether I was spewing major pollution and should have the work done then, but he said that it wasn't a big issue.

On a recent check-up, the mechanic said that my clutch is slipping a bit ... and that situation doesn't go on for very long, till you're left sitting on the roadside. This was a couple(?) of months ago.

It would cost about$1,000. to do it, he said ... and when I asked them recently for checkup, they said that the parts alone would be just under $1,000., so the whole clutch job would be upwards of $2,000.!

They had made an earlier estimate of about $4,000. to keep my '05 Chevy Cobalt on the road ... and strongly suggested that I bid it "Good-bye", on the way to the junk yard.

I grew up in an atmosphere where one fixed and repaired as long as a machine was viable, not throwing out at (perhaps not quite the) earliest opportunity ... so i'd been considering the repairs, largely for conservation and environmental reasons.

On Wednesday morning, I tried to start the car, the engine turned over several times - nothing. Tried again, no response ... tried a number of times ... wouldn't start. After some time, it would fire just one thump ... wait a while, just one beat again. Hooked up the charger. Tried some more times, there'd be a few fires, one after the other, several times ... but wouldn't fire up properly. Finally ... it started ... with a large roar ... and there were intervals in between: not firing on all cylinders. Didn't do much travel on Wednesday.

I've been having some blood in urine for a few days over Christmas, but it seemed to be easing ... but late Wednesday night there was a blockage in the catheter, and I had fitful sleep ... and a number of visits to the bathroom, several of them ... without issue? ... fruitless?... (you can be helpful, here - choose your own descriptive word).

I began to wonder whether my bowel was in the process of deciding my lifestyle ... and losing control, especially when my body has rarely given me trouble, was a truly daunting experience ... one that one wouldn't wish on anybody!! [[The keyboard added the italics ... and I agree]]! I began to wonder whether I might be on the edge of incontinence.

In the early morning, on Thursday, when I wanted to start the car to go to emergency ... it started fairly easily. My garage had said that they could deal with it on Thursday morning, so I took it there, then took a cab (first cab ride in many years) to emerg.

They replaced my catheter ... the three-tubed one that I'd had in something over a month ago had sprung a small leak from one of the tubes (unusual) when it had been in less than a week ... and I repaired it with a small piece of wood, later adding a rubber band when a tiny leak continued ... and it had kept things in order for almost a month.

They'd planned to see whether they could irrigate the clot from the catheter ... but the doc didn't like my repair, worried that bit of wood might get pushed into the system and cause infection: ole joyful does complicate things, at times, it seems.

They sent me on my way, with my new catheter.

It's been unusually cold here, and when I went out the door of the hospital, it didn't seem too bad ... so I began to walk to the garage. I made the journey in 45 minutes ... not walking fast - I am rather old, you know.

The garage people drove me a few blocks to my son's apt. and I stayed overnight with him.

Good news - the bowel is pretty well behaving itself!!

Walked to the garage with son today, visiting my bank en route, to clear out the car, take the registration plates off, brought several packages to son's place in a cab. The car, on its own, pretty well decided its future ... as the repairs for the recent trouble would be prohibitively costly.

In a discussion at the garage today, the chief mechanic (the one who drove me to my son's last night) announced to the assemblage that I was the most stubborn 88 year old that he'd ever come across.

Looks like that should be the last word ... for this missive, anyway ... as I hope to speak again, later, all being well (or even if it ain't quite).

ole joyfuelled

Comments (38)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm