SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Odd stairs/doorways situation

party_music50
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! It occurred to me that someone here may have dealt with a similar situation in an old home... or maybe someone has an idea on how I could make this stairs & doorways situation more safe?!

These short steps lead out the back way to the basement stairs (on the left) or to the back porch (through the French door that swings in). As you can see, there is minimal space to maneuver and it's unsafe because there's no door or barrier to keep anyone from falling down the basement stairs. There is also that shallow concrete ledge on the right wall of the basement stairs to deal with. I added stair treads, topped the concrete ledge with some pine, switched from a solid door to the French door to at least give more light to the space, and added the short hand hold on the left for the first few steps, but would like something to improve the basement steps situation for ease of entry and safety. At this point, all I can think of is to add the equivalent of a velvet rope in a movie theater across the top of the basement stairs. lol!

Comments (19)