SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Recessed, shallow pantry situation - how would you handle this?

kcorn
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are planning for a shallow pantry along one side of our kitchen - the inside of the box will be recessed into the wall 3" and we will have approximately 6" additional floor space taken up for the portion that comes out of the wall and into the kitchen. The usable space will be approximately 7.5" deep x 72" wide after accounting for the box and door front.

My question is related to how to frame in the portion that is sticking into the kitchen. We considered purchasing 2 - 36" wide tall pantry units and cutting them down so that the cabinet fronts would match the rest of the kitchen cabinets. However, this is an extra 3k! We came up with another idea to put in sliding doors over this area instead (see ideas / pictures below - chalkboard/corkboard, etc). Our carpenter can make the box / shelves and suggested to frame it in and paint the portion sticking out the same color as the wall and then putting two sliding doors over that section. This option was significantly cheaper and DH and I really like the idea.

Thoughts on this design? Will that piece sticking out into the kitchen look odd, even if it is framed up and looks like it's just part of the wall? Should we consider making that entire wall the same depth?

I am including our revised layout so you can have another idea of where this fits in our space.

Thanks!

Modern Kitchen by Chantilly Kitchen & Bath Designers Erin Hoopes

Traditional Kitchen by Charlotte Design-Build Firms New Old, LLC

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations