SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Should we add a Shallow Pantry?

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Progress on the kitchen has been at a standstill for the last few weeks, but DH wants to start working on it again this weekend and put the pantry together.

We were planning on putting a shallow pantry to the left of the fridge, but some family members saw our kitchen recently and thought that we should skip the pantry altogether.

What do you think? Should we add a shallow pantry or not? If so, how deep should we make it?

* Option A (rendered image below): 12" deep pantry and 36" aisle - the pantry will be flush with the opening to the dining room.

* Option B (not shown): 9" deep pantry and 39" aisle (there will be 3" of wall before the opening to the dining room)

* Option C (not shown): 6" deep pantry and 42" aisle (with 6" of wall before the opening to the dining room)

* Option D (photo below): no pantry, and a 48" aisle

Option A

Option D (we would have to add an end panel and build out the wall a bit to make it look finished - Poland Spring dispenser will not be staying - and please excuse the mess in the dining room!)

Thank you!

Comments (25)

• docmamma
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you need the storage space of the pantry? What were your family members concers? I think it looks like a great spot for a pantry. I vote for option A.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Three questions.

1. Is the entry into the dining room also 36"? If so, the 12" deep pantry might work just fine. A bit of a "tunnel" into the kitchen, but if you need the storage space....

2. Would this be a pull out pantry, opening at the narrow end (next to the refrig)? OR will the pantry doors open into the 36" space? If the pantry does that, then I'd vote for a more shallow one.

3. What do you need to store there? Can you fit your needs in a 6" or a 9" or a 12" deep pantry?

• Related Discussions

Recessed, shallow pantry situation - how would you handle this?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks scrappy25. We can purchase the cabinet doors / skins and have the carpenter make the insides. However, in this option, it is still 1K more than using the sliding doors. Also, DH brought up a point last night after looking at the cabinet images from the KDâ¦since we cannot go to the ceiling with the pantry (due to header on that wall), the top of the pantry cabinet will be shorter than the rest of the cabinets in the space. So, he was also concerned that by using the same cabinet doors, it might look "odd". Maybe we can get the cost down by using a different door style / wood / finish for that area (possibly matching the island).
    ...See More

shallow pantry

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm assuming the dead space is off to the sides? You're not complaining about the depth, right? By opening that space up to the sides, wallboarding in a simple pair of narrow doors (or however Ikea can configure it) and installing simple but sturdy shelves (just making a closet full of removable wooden shelves) I think you could have the a fantastic pantry/utility closet that would store large amounts of anything you wanted, and give you lots of flexibility for the future. That's a HUGE amount of space! (I put in a large but very shallow shelf pantry in an odd place during my remodel and it's been great!) Search on pantries for some well-configured, attractive shelf pantries. You could keep it plain, if it's in a hallway, or dress it up if it's more central. Is this an option, or were you hoping to keep it very very cheap? I don't think it would be too too expensive. A weekend job for you or a handy friend. The advantages of solid shelves have been discussed here before. Imagine a container of honey or flour tips over on a top wire shelf. (Plus I personally am not a fan of wire. I just always think it looks and feels, well, not luxe; it snags everything and it's noisy. Purely opinion. If you have found some that make you feel happy then don't listen to me!) Good luck!
    ...See More

Should We reuse old Pantry in new Pantry?

Q

Comments (7)
    Rhome, I don't think I've given it as much thought as needed. But, I've been thinking.... Have a lot of dishes, Christmas, china, my MIL used to have an antique store and she has given us a lot of dishes, flatware, platters, things I've kept boxed up mainly for a lack of storage for them. I have inspiration pictures of pantries that look nice for those type things. I think I've done just what you suggested, thought about THOSE things and neglected the other. Maybe I should do a layout on the planner, take all things into consideration and see what can be accomplished on that route? Bmore, I'm thinking about what your'e talking about. Just want to make sure the space is all utilized without too much aisle width. Dianalo, here is a picture of what my pantry looks like. It's not the actual pantry, but it is exactly like mine. I haven't measured the space, but could/should I think about putting it in the corridor where the oven is located? It measures 42x26 which would be built in next to counter depth cabinets.
    ...See More

Options to add a butler's pantry?

Q

Comments (5)
    You're welcome. Landing space for the fridge would be the island--I moved the island to make the main traffic aisle wider, but it could be a little narrower. The narrow cabinet would be a pantry or pull-out, rather than a narrow counter. I love built-ins and nooks, especially in houses of a certain vintage. The butler's pantry would fit right in, IMO. The uppers there could be 15" and bases 18", with the counter at 19"--plenty of room to stack dishes or make toast. If the fridge moves to the short wall by the nook, will the oven be in the top/sw corner? Will the DW be on the right side of the only sink? That run of base cabinets across from the island would be convenient for dish drawers, but I was liking the idea of cooktop and hood as a focal point from the hallway. willTV's built-in fridge and 14" pantry cab: grlwprl's fridge and pantry cab: a2gemini's pantry pull-out:
    ...See More
  • angie_diy
    12 years ago

Just as an not-usual data point, we put in a 9" deep pantry. We love it. I think 9" is the minimum I would do, however. This is deep enough to fit two layers of most cans, bottles, boxes, etc. I vote for A or B, shading to B.

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

I have an 18" wall pantry and I find it very useful. I think a 12" pantry cabinet could be very useful to store all kinds of things from pantry items to serving dishes and vases or small appliances to even cookbooks. I vote for option A too.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Bella

36'' is not very wide for the passage through which you will probably bring your stove, kitchen table, and fridge. It would probably work, but be tight.

So, option E. Make the pantry in two depths:
    The half of the pantry closest to the diningroom could stay 12'' deep. Great for storing seldom used dishes, small appliances, bulk food. You might be able to recess part of the back into the wall to gain three or so more inches of depth here.

The half closest to the kitchen could be 6'' deep. Perfect for storing canned goods, staples, glassware. . . . Mason jars look good and hold a ton of stuff like flour, sugar, cereals. . .

Maybe worth considering.

Sandra

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think a 12" pantry would be great, but this is the transition between your kitchen and dining room. Do you have enough dish/display storage, in the dining room?

If you don't need ALL the pantry storage, what if you made the bottom half pantry, with a countertop for extra serving? Then, you could have glass uppers, with dish/display storage. It would still provide storage, a shallow, but extra serving area...and the light would bounce off the glass uppers. It would almost be a mini-butler's pantry.

I think the space would feel brighter...and the dishes/display would add some more color, to your kitchen. Also, a lovely way to store dishes/china, to set the dining table for the holidays. Just my two cents :)

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

Good suggestions here. I agree that it all depends on what you intend to store there, and if you need the extra storage. Personally, I feel more is always better for built-in storage. What size? Dishware and small appliances usually require at least 12", but I prefer shallower pantries for canned and dry goods, so I can see at a glance what's in there rather than loosing things in the back. If it were me, I'd go with A or B. Design-wise, a shallow pantry wall could add a finished feeling to the fridge end-run.

You could even designate a section of the unit for a "drop zone" for keys, mail, leashes, etc., since it's the first thing you see in entering from the garage. KraftMaid and other stock cabinet makers have 9" and 12" "drop zone" units, some even with chargers for phones, etc., if you'd like inspiration.

Alternatively, if you have plenty of closed storage behind doors elsewhere, you could have open shelves for pretty items. Emerson's open floor-to-ceiling pantry at the link below is very similar to your space, in that it appears to be about 10-12" deep, and goes all the way to the door trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerson's Open Pantry

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

If you need the storage, that's a great spot for a shallow pantry. I have one that has 6" deep adjustable shelves, in formerly wasted wall space. I re-used some old cabinet doors to give it a vintage look. It's quirky, but really holds a bunch of canned goods:

In progress Scroll forward 5 or 6 pics, or:

Before doors

With doors

The doorway to the left is only 30" wide--not a problem unless we are moving furniture from room to room. (There are other doors into the room.)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Mizinformation, that's my dream pantry. Thank you.

• carybk
    12 years ago

I'd do option B-- a little more breathable as you move between rooms, but you get the storage space. I also like lavender's suggestion about the counter and glass uppers if you would use them.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies! Thank you, all!

I should have added this picture earlier to show what DH was planning. The pantry would line up with the cabinets above the fridge (it won't go all the way to the ceiling). It wouldn't be a pantry built into the wall. DH felt that the cabinet style pantry with open space above would help it feel more open. But after reading the replies and seeing the pics linked above, now I'm wondering if we should do a built into the wall pantry instead. =/ Also - the side next to the fridge will not have any decorative panels - it will be a flat white panel - I'm hoping to give it some interest/purpose by making it a mini message center (that idea is still brewing...)

docmamma - Thanks so much for your reply and vote! Do we need the storage space - good question. DH and I disagree on that. He wants to learn how to cook and is anticipating that we will need more storage when we prepare more intricate meals. I think that we have enough storage without the pantry for now, but when we have older children/teenagers - I would imagine that we would need more storage then. My family member's concern - Our dining room has very large windows that face the front yard - which you can see when looking from the kitchen to the dining room. They felt that adding a pantry would take away from/compete with the view out of the dining room windows. That, and also that a pantry would make the aisle too crowded.

kashmi - More great questions! Thank you! To answer them: 1) The entry into the dining room is just shy of 35.5". 2) The doors would open into the aisle. 3) I'd like to use the pantry as a place for non perishable foods and as a drop area for keys since it's by the garage. Dishes will be stored in a glass cabinet to the left of the sink, and small appliances will go in the base cabinets to the right of the fridge. I think I should play around with what I can get to fit on the various size shelves.

Angie_DIY - Ah! Thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to hear that your 9" pantry is working for you! That is very helpful. :)

itsallaboutthefood - Another A vote! Thanks so much!

Bellsmom - 2 depths - Wow, I never thought of that option! I will discuss it with DH. Thank you! (The appliances and table are in place - they were brought in through the other side of the kitchen which has a wider aisle.)

lavender_lass - You always have such lovely ideas! Thank you! At this point in time, I don't have enough pretty things to warrant using the pantry as part display. My simple white everyday dishes are stored in a glass cabinet by the sink, and I don't own any fancy china. :( DH does have dreams of adding corner built ins to the dining room for display space (which would also give us more room for seating than a standard china cabinet would). Hopefully by the time that happens, I will have enough pretty things to display!

Mizinformation - Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! We are planning on storing dry and canned goods there, so it sounds like the smaller depths will work too. However, it won't be a built in pantry wall - it will be cabinetry with space above it. Yes! We definitely want to use some of the pantry as a drop zone. I'll be sure to look at KraftMaid for inspiration. The open pantry is very pretty - but - we have a 2 year old (nuff said!) Lol!

athomeinva - What a clever idea! Thanks for your reply! But, I have to play the "2 year old toddler" card again. I'm not comfortable with having open shelving that he could reach (or climb on!). I'm afraid we have to stick with closed cabinets.

mama_goose - Wow! You DID fit a ton of cans on those 6" shelves! I'm impressed! Thanks so much for your reply and photos. (Your kitchen is so pretty and charming!) Now I'm wishing that we could do a built in pantry like yours. I'm going to show DH your kitchen photos to see what he thinks.

waterdamage - Thank you so much for your reply and vote!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Bella- Think tea! You can get some lovely teacups and saucers, dessert plates and even a few teapots, which will be so pretty in your corner cabinet...but not be as expensive as a full set of china. Just an idea :)

• skyedog
    12 years ago

I have a 12"x48" snack cabinet and love it. We have teenage boys so it over half of the space really is dedicated to their foods - cereals, chips, pasta, etc. I didn't read all the replies too closely so I don't know if it was mentioned or not but if you have overlay cabinets, the depth of the cabinet is 12" plus the depth of the door itself plus any pulls, eating into your clearance numbers.

Kid snacks would probably fit into a 9" cab with overlay doors. If they are inset, not so much.

• kay161
    12 years ago

bella: Why not tape out the 12" footprint and live with it for a few days? Or put a box there and see if you or your family bump into it.

FYI: I'm jealous! Our original kitchen plan included a tall pantry facing away from the side of the fridge, just like yours. Unfortunately, we had to drop it to accommodate bigger appliances:-(

Good luck;-)

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender - Yet another terrific idea! I love it! I am going to keep my eyes open for pretty tea collectibles like you mentioned. Thank you! :)

skyedog - Thanks so much for your reply! I'm so glad to hear that your snack cabinet is working out so well! We do have frameless cabinets with full overlay doors which will eat into the shelf space - excellent point! Thank you, again!

kay161 - Mocking it up is a great idea - thank you! I think we'll do that. I'll also play around with what items I can fit on various depth shelves. (I'm sorry you didn't get your pantry - but I bet your appliances are Fabulous!)

Mini update - The pantry discussion with DH didn't go so well. :( Long story short, he is set on having it look like the rendered image above, with 4 symmetrical doors (2 on bottom and 2 on top), and open space above. He feels that we need the storage more than extra counter space, and doesn't want to spend more $ on glass doors. I fell in love with some photos of cabinets with glass doors and gathered fabric behind them and was pushing hard for it - only to learn that Ikea doesn't make glass doors in the size that we need (21" wide). :( So disappointing.

So - now, all that is left to do is mock the pantry up with tape and boxes and play around with how much I can fit on the various depth shelves to figure out a winning combination. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Thank you all, again!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

bellajourney, I don't want to cause any trouble ;), but we had door frames made by a local cabinet maker, then I went to the hardware store (Ace), and had glass panes cut to fit. The glass was about $4.00/pane. Now keep in mind, it's not safety glass, but it's in the cabinet above the fridge, with display items, so doesn't see a lot of use. If you are matching trim paint to cabinet color, you could get a little extra for the doors.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Do you have, somewhere in your house, a bookcase or table or something that is 12" deep that you could put there for now and see how it is space wise. Put it at the front corner of the fridge. You need something more than just taping off the area to feel the space that it will take up.

My concern is that that corner is already a really busy little space - entry into the garage, entry into the DR, fridge doors opening into it, oven opening into it, cook standing by the stove. I'm just worried that by adding one more thing into the space that it will become very congested and uncomfortable.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Bella- Here's an idea...tell DH you will compromise. He can have the pantry he wants, but maybe make it shallower...say 6". If that's not possible, then the 12" should be okay, but I agree, tape it off first, to make sure it will fit.

In exchange, he should agree to have the glass uppers (with shirred fabric) in another area of the kitchen. Maybe on either side of the range...and over to the right of the microwave.

Yes, you might have to exchange the doors (hopefully they make glass that size) but it's Ikea...right? That hopefully isn't a problem...and it will give you some sparkle and color, in the kitchen.

I'm glad you like the 'tea dishes' idea :)

• taggie
    12 years ago

I really think 12" is too deep for the space and it's not visually pleasing having it go flush to the doorway opening (sorry).

I'd do a 9" depth and I'd definitely put a finished panel on the side opening to the kitchen. I think the height looks good flush with the fridge cabinets and it doesn't need to go to the ceiling.

Good luck whatever you decide. Your kitchen looks like a great space!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Agree with taggie--cabinets flush with the door opening is a very amateurish look.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

I don't know if this adds anything, but FWIW. . . .

I agree with your DH that stopping the cabinet at the height of the upper cabs is a good idea. Personally, I would like four 12'' doors rather than two 24'' doors, but that is a minor decision based on cost and aesthetics.

Anyway, here's what I think I would do:

I would install movable shelf brackets in both sections so I could adjust the shelf height to the storage needs. I did something similar to this in my pantry. Let me know if you want pics.

Hope this helps.
    Sandra
    Sandra

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Option B makes it worth the trouble to add the storage and is still not going to block the doorway.
    As for the uppers with glass, Ikea doors are so reasonable, that I'd do them the simple way now and later on worry about adding glass or getting custom doors made for the top 2 cabs there. Their stock prices are low enough that it is not like you wasted a lot be replacing them later on. You may even like them simple.... If not, you are not stuck with them like you would be with another cab line.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I don't know if your spouse wants to hear practical stuff at this point, but here goes.

If you are standing in a 3 foot aisle and opening a 2 foot door that stops at 110 degrees or even 150 degrees, a person gets more or less trapped back there. Everything you want out of the pantry needs to be unloaded onto the counter next to the range, doors closed and then transferred again to prep.

Would depend on your family's patterns, but I wonder how much of a pita those doors would be for using the dining room for a dinner with company? For me, it would not be an issue - I am always done before company arrives and drinks are setup elsewhere but everyone is different...

Everyone is forgetting about cabinet handles and their protrusion into a highly used space...

Ikea wall cabinets are 13" deep.

I wonder if you could do both things, build the cabinet closer to the dining room into the wall and then cutdown one to 9" deep near the ref. The front plane of both cabinets would be the same. It would look almost like the representation above, but be a 3 door front.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mama_goose - Thanks so much for the suggestion! If we could afford custom doors with glass for the pantry, I think it would need to be safety glass (since we have a little one), but - I will keep your suggestion in mind for future cabinet projects! Thanks!

blfenton - Thank you for your reply! I put a 12" deep piece of furniture there last night, and it does feel a bit cramped. I think we're going to need to go with something smaller, if anything.

lavender - I don't think that we can exchange our doors anymore since too much time has passed. But - I am definitely going to keep the glass with shirred fabric idea in mind for future projects. (I hope to one day replace the Ikea doors with more traditionally styled wood Shaker doors, and swap out the countertops for soapstone or granite.) Thanks again for your wonderful ideas! They are giving me so much to look forward to. :)

taggie - Thank you for your reply and kind compliment! After living with a 12" piece of furniture there, I think 9" is the max that I want to go for the pantry so it doesn't feel so claustrophobic. DH has plans to put an end panel on the side that opens to the kitchen - but, it is a plain, flat panel - not shaker style. Hopefully it won't look too bad...

marcolo - Thanks for your reply! We won't make it flush to the wall.

Bellsmom - Thanks so much for the mockup! I'm afraid that DH isn't up for such a big undertaking though. It looks like we're 1eaning toward the 9" deep pantry the whole way across. But, thank you again for your thoughtful suggestion and mockup!

dianalo - Thanks for your reply! Option B and sticking with the simple doors now (with perhaps some glass doors in the future), is the direction we are leaning.

bmorepanic - Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I'm concerned about 21" wide doors opening into the space too. The only way around it would be to use 3 12" wide doors and lose 6" of space. In order to line up with the fridge cabinets, the max amount of space that we have to work with is 42". I wish it was 45", since then we could have done 3 15" doors. Sigh. DH isn't willing to lose the 6" of space. If the 21" doors become a huge issue, we could always change it up down the line. Also, I think we're going to stick with a 9" depth all the way across. DH will have to cut wall cabinets down in size. As for dining room usage - that is yet to be seen. We're not using it yet as it's still under construction (and was DH's workshop in the winter). It does have another opening that is much larger, from the foyer. I think biggest problem will be congestion with people using the garage entrance.

Another mini update - After trying out a 12" deep piece of furniture where the pantry will go - we're going to aim for a 9" depth. It will let the space breathe a bit more, and should allow for 7.5" wide shelves once the full overlay doors and fridge end panel are taken into consideration.

The plan is for the pantry to house seldomly used things - like duplicates of food items, cans of soup and veggies, that type of thing. We don't want it to be a place where people linger or use frequently (to avoid traffic jams). Cereal and snacks will go to the right of the fridge (nice and out of the way of people using the sink and stove) - and frequently used cooking supplies will go in the cabinetry by the stove.

The doors will stay simple for now - with the hope of adding some glass in the future.

Thank you taggie and marcolo for the warning about bringing the cabinetry flush to the wall. I'm embarrassed to admit that we DID in fact make this amateur mistake in other areas of our kitchen (it was either that, or we would of had to lose 6" of cabinetry or do major construction to the wall). DH is comfortable with it flush; he believes in function over form, and the doorway openings are straight (he said that if the walls weren't straight, he would have stopped the cabinetry a few inches from the wall). Being a perfectionist, I'm bummed that we made such a rookie mistake, but I'm going to have to let it go.

Thank you all, again!!!