SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bielski

Attic Ventilation and Roofing Advice???

Jason Bielski
6 years ago

I’m getting bids from roofers in my area of Los Angeles to do some maintenance repairs to my pipe flashings. The roof was redone in 2012 and I bought the house in early 2015. I had a leak last winter repaired at the base of the single turbine vent on the roof of my 1700 sq ft, single story home built in the 50s. I’ve had 2 roofers out who have given me 180 degree advice and bids so I’m throwing it out here while I wait for a third company to come over.

Roofer 1 can replace all of my flashings, but he is recommending replacing the turbine with a dormer and adding 5 additional dormers for ventilation. I have probably 20, 16"x4" soffit vents running around the perimeter of the house. Are this many dormers necessary??

Roofer 2 is taking a minimalist approach and suggest not tearing things out and replacing the flashings because he feels the cutting an replacing may risk water intrusion. He is suggesting a good quality sealing pass around all of the flashing that he claims will last 10 years. Is less better than more when it comes to roofs??

Both roofers have 40 years of experience in the area and are well reviewed and regarded. What are the thoughts of the pros on this forum??

Comments (5)