SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
service1956

Attic ventilation problem

service1956
5 years ago

House was built in 1973 being a standard 1600 Sq ft ranch style home. Had a roofing contractor look over the roof, and even crawled up into the attic for about 20 minutes taking pictures at what he saw. He showed me pictures related to little ventilation. As he was looking, I was up on the ladder looking into the attic and noticed that air was rushing into the attic that made me think of not enough ventilation. He said that there were only 2 soffit vents on the front, and 2 on the back. He also stated that most likely 3 were covered with rolled insulation and one exposed by seeing light shine through. He recommended installing SmartVent about 20" from the drip edge because of the overhang along the full length of the roof at the back of the house. Told me this will give me enough air flow to correct the problem along with a ridge vent. The only problem I can think of living in Michigan with at times heavy snowfall, is that this type of vent could get covered in snow to stop airflow. Is this a likely problem with this type of vent?

Comment (1)