SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Do we need to add attic ventilation?

arlosmom
10 years ago

Hi, I haven't posted to this forum in a long time, but I could really use some helpful insights.

We live in a 1905 hip roof foursquare with a two story addition on the back. The addition has soffit vents and a ridge vent, but the attic in the original part of the house does not have any venting. The addition is not open to the attic of the main original part of the house, so it does not provide any ventilation (the addition does not have an attic).

We have never had a problem with moisture in the attic, but we have made lots of improvements to the envelope of our house over the years, making it much tighter than it used to be. Most recently, this spring we had closed cell insulation sprayed on the basement walls and open cell insulation injected into the balloon framed walls on the first and second floors.

We are in the process of getting estimates for a new roof and I'm wondering if we need to add ventilation to our attic as part of this. As I said, we have never had moisture problems before, but we have also not gone through a winter since insulating our walls.

We could add soffit vents and a ridge vent, but I'm not sure how effective a ridge vent would be in a hip roofed house since our ridge is only about 8 feet long. Would an attic fan make much of a difference? Do we need to do anything at all?

I've spent several hours reading on the internet, but it has left me more confused. In my jaded opinion, lots of contractors try to sell you on what is easier or more convenient for them, not what is best for you.

Any help?

Comments (7)