SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

roof /attic ventilation

beckyinrichmond
14 years ago

I am going to have an asphalt roof replaced (it's 29 years old)and am wondering about what I might need to do about roof ventilation. This is for a cape cod style brick house in central Virginia built in 1953. The upstairs is finished but is not going to be used (my relative who lives there is disabled and does not use stairs) and it has been cleaned out. There are two gable vents. There are no soffit vents, no baffle vents. The insulation is stuffed in the rafters. We could add soffit vents but the insulation blocks the path up to the ridge. I don't see how we could put in baffle vents without tearing down walls to get to the rafters. If we had soffit vents and baffle vents, then a ridge vent in the roof would be a good thing to add. But without intake vents and a way for the air to get to the peak, the ridge vent wouldn't be much good, right? However, I'm wondering about leaving the windows open in the upstairs (in hot weather) and opening up the access doors to the eaves. Would that create enough intake to make a ridge vent pull up hot air? Would that suffice for roof ventilation (even if it's on the wrong side of the insulation?) In the past there hasn't been a problem with condensation in the winter.

Comments (14)