Difficult to Screw Up Bread.
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (54)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
How bad did I screw up?
Comments (13)First, I want to say that I am proud of you for wanting to help out. That is really good you are willing to do so. However, the hot sauce should be dumped, sorry to say. You made up your own recipe, so there is no way to know if that is nearly enough acid. The whole product would be low acid with the addition of the veggies, so a water bath would not preserve it. One of the most important guidelines is NEVER can your own recipes. Not even in a pressure canner. Still, you can't determine safety at home of a recipe. Use current, safety tested recipes. Not only is ph critical in a recipe, but so is density. Unless something is tested in a lab, you cannot determine if it is safe to can or not. That should be left to the food safety scientists. There is a great link you can use from the leading authority in home canning. I will post below. As for the beets, you need to toss them, too.Unless it was within 24 hours of the initial canning you cannot reprocess them and expect them to be safe. Never reduce any processing time. It take that time to destroy botulism and other microorganisms. Each food is different as to how long it takes, according, again, to ph and density. After that 24 hours you can have enough botulism growth in those jars to be deadly. Bacteria multiplies that quickly. Especially if there is botulism, you cannot see, taste, or smell it. In the sealed jar, that is the happy home for botulism. It grows in a sealed jar. I agree, get yourself some current, good books and ask before you can anything if you need help. Here is a link that might be useful: Food Safety Site....See MoreArtisan bread only rises sideways, not up
Comments (18)Thanks, coconut. That helped me some. I used my cheapy mixer and finished with my hands. It was a very sticky dough. I chose to make the European Peasant Bread for the first try. Then I refrigerated it, covered in saran wrap with gaps on the side (they say don't make it air tight). I did this on Sunday and made my first loaf last night. But, the dough (in the container) had dry tough spots around the edges that I had to remove and throw out. I've since made it air tight. When I formed the loaf it had the texture of a down pillow and was not sticky at all. And I used lots of flour when cloaking. The loaf came out great. After cloaking, it spread sideways a little at first and then rose a little in the middle. Not much though, it was no where near double. This took 4 1/2 hours. I waited until it was just a little bit cool to the touch before scoring and baking. At first it was very cold to the touch. My kitchen and home was at 70 degrees all day. I think I should have waited a little longer but it was getting late. The loaf had just a hint of gummy texture in the very center, but not enough really worry about. It had not risen much when I put it in the oven but it rose a lot once it was in. Doubled in height. You could literally look away from the bread for 30 seconds -look back- and see the difference. It "sprang" that fast. I'm guessing that letting it warm up for so long helped. That, or the fact that it dried out some due to the gaps in the saran wrap. Also it had a mix of white, rye and wheat. So... ??? Do you all have little rising and lots of oven spring? And do you put your bread in the oven when it is still really cold? We liked it. The flavor was really good. I wouldn't call this 'easy' compared to regular bread baking - just because it's a different method and I worried over it a bit, lol. BUT it's way easier than making a starter, feeding the starter, etc. And faster too - with a similar flavor. At this point I think I'll keep doing it for a while. Unless it starts to drive me crazy with problems. linnea, the book says to work in more flour if it's too wet, so have you tried that yet? I guess they mean work it into the whole batch. Not each individual loaf......See MoreThe Saga of the Forgotten Salt or ..................
Comments (38)Well, once in my cooking history I killed the yeast because the liquid was too hot. I bought a new thermometer today. And--last evening I made a batch of blueberry muffins (I had taken a short ride to a neighbor's stand and spent $3 on fresh berries so I really wanted the muffins to come out well). Immediately after placing the muffins into the oven I started to clean up from the mixing. I was floored when I found the measured oil had not been included. I was certain I had just wasted my time and money but I decided to try to add some oil right then. I grabbed the muffins out of the oven and then drizzled a little bit of oil onto each muffin, which had already begun to solidify from the short burst of heat. I used the handle of a spoon and mixed the oil into the stiff batter as best I could, without mashing the blueberries. Then I returned the muffins to the oven. I didn't know how to adjust the cooking time because of the time out of the oven, so I sat on a kitchen step stool and watched the muffins cook until I decided to test one. Sent them back for 6 more minutes and then sampled one as soon as it was cool enough not to burn my mouth. I wouldn't offer tham to company, but they really are acceotable. I had used double the amount of berries and the extra moisture might have helped....See MoreThanksgiving Whoopsies- Fess Up To Your Screw Up!
Comments (34)Just as our kids were arriving yesterday, my husband was taking the turkey out of the oven. The roaster pan was so full of drippings (I assume from the massive injection of creole butter) that it could not be removed from the oven without a huge mess. Personally, I would have used a baster to remove some of the 'juice' so it could be moved neatly but he streamed it all over the newly cleaned oven, across the floor and drenched the cabinet beneath the sink. What a mess to clean up with toddlers underfoot trying to greet grammy and pop pop!...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESThe Art of the Window: Drapery Solutions for Difficult Types and Shapes
Stymied by how to hang draperies on a nonstandard window? Check out these tips for dressing 10 tricky window styles
Full Story
BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
COLORFUL KITCHENS6 Places to Punch Up a Kitchen With Purple
Let the regal color reign in the heart of the home
Full Story
DOWNSIZINGSimplifying: What Items in Your Kitchen Are Just Taking Up Space?
Here are some of the cooking tools, small appliances and dishware you may not need
Full Story
KITCHEN MAKEOVERSKitchen of the Week: Refaced Cabinets Lighten Up the Room
A designer saves her clients time and money by reusing what they already have in their 120-square-foot space
Full Story
LIFESlow Down and Ease Up: A Sanity-Saving Approach to Life
Why not take the pressure off and live a little more consciously in 2017? The challenging goals can wait
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
ORGANIZINGAfter Tidying Up, How to Organize Your Laundry Room
When you’re done giving your laundry area the Marie Kondo treatment, these storage tools can help keep it neat and clean
Full Story
LIFELate Again? Eliminate the Things Holding You Up in the Morning
If you find yourself constantly running late for appointments, work and get-togethers, these tips could help
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHouse Planning: When You Want to Open Up a Space
With a pro's help, you may be able remove a load-bearing wall to turn two small rooms into one bigger one
Full Story








leahikesgardenspdx