SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Appetizer for lasagna meal

Not coming up with much right now, help me out if you can.

Christmas eve dinner for 6 is lasagna, garlic bread, tossed salad and dessert, which someone is bringing.

I need some casual munchies but Christmas special, lol, and can not include any seafood. 2 of the guests will come straight from the movie theater and will probably have eaten popcorn. Not too much I keep reminding them!

No hummus, beans or again, seafood. 2 picky eaters.

I'm considering spinach dip. I don't care if the munchie is not Italian.

Comments (24)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    6 years ago

Chips and dips, veggies and dips.

• Related Discussions

Appetizer suggestions for Christmas

Q

Comments (7)
    Elyse, your menu sounds great. Thanks for bringing the subject up . I had forgot about that thread...off to check it again! let us know what you choose and how it went. Merry Christmas
    ...See More

Best frozen appetizer type things from Costco

Q

Comments (24)
    Scallops wrapped in bacon, mini corn dogs with a mustard dip, egg rolls cut into smaller sections with sweet and sour dipping sauce, croissants Sliced open with thin shaved ham and sandwich spread, the brownie bites are good, they have these chicken pieces on skewers I think they are teriyaki flavor they are good. And of course their Boiled shrimp are very good.
    ...See More

Appetizers that can be made ahead

Q

Comments (21)
    I have a giant bag of hazelnuts (what was I thinking?) from Costco and I'm searching for recipes. These below might help, although obviously not nut-free. Hazelnut parmesan crisps: https://kjhazelnuts.com/recipes/ Roasted hazelnuts with thyme: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-hazelnuts-with-thyme-240242 Fresh figs with bleu cheese and hazelnuts: https://www.flavourandsavour.com/fresh-fig-appetizer-with-blue-cheese-and-hazelnuts/ Whipped hazelnut dip: https://www.marthastewart.com/1153333/whipped-hazelnut-dip
    ...See More

appetizer ideas

Q

Comments (76)
    Being a real non cook and one who does not entertain much, I am really curious to find out about the dried apricots a/ cream cheese /nut . Originally when I looked at the recipe I was dismayed with the fresh apricot but dried makes it so much easier to find and even "have on hand". Are you using whipped cream cheese or the block? Anxiously awaiting your feedback. This is one I think I could pull off and feel good about. :) (My usual is cut up veggies and cheese and crackers. It would be nice to have something else.)
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's about what I come up with too Ricky but I was hoping to find something more special but I think half of this crowd wouldn't care but some would.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gardengal, I did that for Thanksgiving for the same crowd and most of it wasn't eaten except by me.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    6 years ago

Bruschetta, caprese bites, olives with cheese and salami, prosciutto wrapped melon bites

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanked aviastar 7A Virginia
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I could do the Southern take on antipasto and do a dip, veggies, olives, toasted nuts, etc. Homemade dip, nuts. One of the guests won't eat anything with onions though.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is a tricky one!

• User
    6 years ago

I try to keep appetizers simple -- they are here for dinner after all. To me appetizers are to put something in the stomach with drinks and it's just a nibble. I'd go with some special nuts and if you want to do something "fancy" brie wrapped in puff pastry with cranberries on top (before you put it in the puff pastry). The red of the cranberries should look like Christmas.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I was looking at pinterest (down the rabbit hole) last night for ideas for myself and saw this. It would make a simple, but special looking appetizer plate...along with antipasto, cheese and crackers. I like the idea of a warmed brie with cranberry sauce over the top

This is another I have saved: Feta Cranberry Pinwheel Tree:

I pinned this last night...sorry for the way it's written, but this is the only recipe for it from Southern Living:

Warm Goat Cheese with Fig Preserves: For this party-worthy dip: goat cheese, fig preserves, and toasted pecans are the trio of perfection. Start with a handy cast iron skillet. You can use miniature cast iron skillets for an even more festive presentation. Preheat the oven to 350˚. Throw goat cheese into the cast iron skillet, spreading it out a bit for an even coverage; but don’t pack it down! (Depending on the size of the skillet or guest list, we typically buy two to three goat cheese logs.) Layer over with fig preserves or jam. We prefer the chunkier texture of preserves, but jam works just as well. Bake until melty, bordering on bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Top with toasted pecans; toast these beforehand, so as to not accidentally burn them while baking the dip. We prefer whole or halved toasted pecans, instead of finely chopped. Serve with crackers, baguette slices, or apple slices. The cast iron skillet will help keep the dish from cooling down as quickly. This dip may sound simple, but it literally never fails to get rave reviews. The tangy creaminess of the goat cheese, sweet fruitiness of the preserves, and nutty crunch from pecans help this recipe hit the trifecta of Christmas party success.

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanked Olychick
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So many good appetizers! Thank you!

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Stuffed mushrooms and an old fashioned cheese ball.

I have a T&T recipe for the mushrooms , I have used it for years and years.....even served them to Ann T ....will post if you want

As for the cheese ball, the are a kazillion recipes out there. I just take a brick of cream cheese and add the bits and bobs of a ll the leftover cheeses I have ....along with a dolop of mayo, mustard and a splash of hot sauce

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 thanked User
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    6 years ago

Dietary issues I do make an effort to please. Picky eaters I make what we like or think will have a re-use for the next day or freezes well for us later on. I do like trying new recipes. Gave up on picky people.

It is really about the friendship and getting together.

We have dear good friends going on 18yrs that would not even try any meal/apps I made. They would eat before the party and were always invited but just visited socially. Meat/potato fried foods mostly in their diet. Shocking last summer they tried everything. Health scares made them look differently at food. We are weekly about 80% veg. Still in shock about that transformation.

Stuffed mushrooms are a good choice but the earthiness can be odd for the picky. Maybe make some mini meatballs with the stuffing as well. So heavy though.

I always do something light/seafood before heavy lasagna...shrimp scallop smoked salmon...charcuterie, antipasti, leek artichoke soup. Brothy chowders. Lots of veg. Grilled or seared baby lobster tail. A seared/grilled/cold bacalao salad is the best fit.

Best to just enjoy their company. Lasagna is just a carb/dairy bomb. But friendly and comforting.

• Islay Corbel
    6 years ago

Verrines or spoons filled with things like avocado mousse/tuna mousse topped with a tiny sliver of smoked salmon or caviar/lumpfish eggs, a cube of poached salmon topped with a sliver of lemon.....or any flavour mousse from a siphon....avocado is nice as is beetroot. Make a little terrine which you can do well in advance and serve on tiny bread slices. Or quick chicken liver pate well doused with cognac - a great flavour for the season....

• party_music50
    6 years ago

Olychick, that olive tree is gorgeous!! All that work and it wouldn't last for two seconds around me because I love olives. :)

I avoid cheesy apps when dinner involves lots of cheese... Shrimp cocktail is our usual, but that won't work for you. I thought of stuffed mushrooms, but it might not work for the picky eaters. Something with artichokes would be good. Also depends on what you put in your lasagna... If it's lighter on meat, then I'd make something like sausage-stuffed cherry peppers.

eta:. You don't care if the app is Italian, so how about bacon-wrapped dates, water chestnuts, chicken livers, or scallops? Or how about prosciutto-wrapped figs and pears?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So much of what is mentioned is way to sophisticated for this group, people who wouldn't touch a chicken liver in their lifetime, lol, and would be happy with some Frito's. And brie is really too exotic for them.

I had a party this past weekend where I had many of the things mentioned, wrapped brie, pinwheels, bacon wrapped dates, and am sick of all of that as I ate the leftovers. I do love seafood as an appetizer for lasagna, it's perfect but oh well. It's a heavy, traditional, meaty, cheesy lasagna.

I have a bunch of crackers so am thinking a roasted red pepper dip, some spiced pecans and some veggies. This is so boring with all these good ideas floating around.

I'm also toying with won ton cups with a variety of fillings, some of which could have crab, for the two of us who do like seafood. Or endive filled.

• User
    6 years ago

Sleevendog -- I so agree with you. I will bend over backward for an allergy but for someone who only eats corn -- they'll get what vegetable I chose to serve! I have my own peculiarities but I never announce them -- I just eat around them. I always think the ones who announce them are "look at me -- you need to make sure I'm happy"

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have one of those people coming and it is the girlfriend of someone I want to be here, and I am doing everything to make it great for her because he won't come without her and I want him to be here for Christmas. That is more important to me than the fact that she is young and self absorbed.

If it were a large group, it might be different but with only 6 of us, I want to make everyone happy. It makes me happy to see them happy.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Store bought spinach dip, store bought veggie tray, store bought pita chips. Put into some kind of Christmas servingware. Boom, done.

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

Guessing you have some serious picky eaters (no seafood, or onions) so I'd keep it very simple.

Something like fried zucchini sticks, or crostini with arugula and burrata. Also, there's always rice balls (arancini.)

I'm thinking meatless as Italians generally don't eat meat on Christmas Eve.

• Islay Corbel
    6 years ago

What about bite size pastry cups filled with nice things? I make a really simple smoked mackerel pate just whizzed up with some Philly cheese. Or filled with minced chicken fried with some curry spice and moistened with a little stock. Herbs. Or a savoury cake. Flavoured with feta cheese or tuna or roasted veg.

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

I'd go with the spinach dip that was your first thought. Cherry tomatoes, celery & carrot sticks, raw cauliflower, raw slices of zucchini & cucumber, red radishes...just the basic veggie stuff. Has nice Christmas-ey colors albeit maybe boring & predictable.

Because you're having lasagna (heavy food) as the main course, I would keep the appetizers light and fresh. I would not do anything with pastry or heavy on cheese or crackers. You're getting cheese and dough (flour/ carbs) in the lasagna.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I have a friend who has a New Years party open house every year featuring lasagne. She serves guacamole as an appetizer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

antipasto platter....some cheese, crackers, olives, pickles, celery sticks, carrot sticks, a small dish of nuts, breadcsticks, salami, sliced cukes...