SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musikal

Help with floor plan for Hurricane Harvey Remodel

musikal
6 years ago

Hi!

We had over 4 feet of water in our home with Harvey. The house downstairs is completely gutted to the studs so we want to take the opportunity to redo the floor plan- it's an older house and pretty boxy.

I have an architect but he has been really slow so thought I would see if I can get some feedback to narrow down what I want to do.

Other than just generally open up the downstairs, I had 2 problems. 1, the dining room was too small. (12x8.) I have a large extended family of about 15 people and would like to be able to seat them.

But, I don't care if I have any sort of formal dining, so my thought was to combine the dining/kitchen and have a table in place of an island. I had also requested a large walk in pantry our previous pantry was very sad. This was the photo I sent showing a table in place of an island:

2, I need a library/office. I love books. Real books. Before the flood I had around 18 bookcases FULL of books. I lost a lot of them but still have a lot. I was using the downstairs guest room as an office but I want to keep that as a guest room in case my parents need to live with us in the future. Also, I didn't like the guest room because it was too far out of the way and I needed someplace closer to the kitchen so I could go back and forth. I tend to take over the dining table with paperwork from my business and need someplace to put that all.

I had the idea of combing the entry/closet area and turning into an office. This area had a lot of kitchen wall cabinets and we just used it as an entry area with a shelf for backpacks, et.

I'm attaching the 2 plans I have received so far from the architect. The first one he didn't really do what I asked. The second one is more what I requested. I had also asked about the possibility of eliminating the entry way completely so you just enter into a library/craft area. The entry way is small and cramped with a narrow hallway. I like the Plan A on floor plan 2 so far, I don't like the choice B. I'm not sold on moving the side doorway (which goes to the carport) up to the kitchen- it seems like it might make more sense to leave it in the library area so that the kids can drop off backpacks, etc. Then you could do more of an L shape with the kitchen and if the entry way is eliminated you just need one entrance then into the entry room/library.

My only concerns so far are that I would be losing my mudroom closet, a coat closet, another closet we used for games, and if I add the extra entry to the guestroom (which we need, it is accessible through the bathroom which is odd) I lose that large closet too. We are in the south so don't have basements so that's a lot of storage to lose and I would be losing kitchen cabinet space as well. We also used the mudroom for things like recycling, cat litter boxes, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments (38)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I'm sorry but your uploads are too small to read and they're sideways.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Let me try again! It wont let me load a pdf so I had to convert them to jpg

• Related Discussions

Hurricane & Harvey survivors................

Q

Comments (24)
    When evacuations are ordered, you aren't supposed to have to go far. Just get out of the storm surge/flood zone. If you have no other options, go to the local hurricane shelter. It's not pleasant, but you'll be safe and have company. I've had to do that before and it looks like I may again this time, because the roads will be full of crazy panicking people who should have stayed closer to home, so I don't expect to be able to leave the area, even to get to Orlando, which is normally about 2-1/2 hours from here. However horrific wind is, it's mostly water that kills people in hurricanes. I had a lot of friends who spent Andrew hiding under their couches or crouching in their bathtubs while their houses blew away, and except for the trauma of it, they were fine afterwards. The very worst thing is to be stuck in heavy traffic with a storm bearing down on you. Gas is already in very short supply in most of FL and I worry that a lot of folks are going to find themselves stuck up mid-state somewhere running out of gas with no more available. If you want to go, leave as soon as possible, but remember that you aren't going to automatic safety unless you head for the midwest or something. I was considering that after the storm I might go up to a lodge in the mountains in NC where I've stayed before, but you know what? The models are starting to show Irma making it into that area, too. For sure if you've never done this before you should try to find a place where you will be with other people.
    ...See More

Harvey flood person - need kitchen remodel help

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm very sorry about your Aunt's home! Between Harvey, Irma, and now Maria, so many people have been devastated! It seems like everyone I know has at least one relative or friend affected by one of these hurricanes (including me -- my niece & colleagues by Irma.) Regarding the designs above, I like MamaGoose's the best. It eliminates one corner and gives your Aunt better work space in general where she needs it the most. It also minimizes wasted counterspace that narrows the usable Kitchen floor space (which also makes it a bit tight and, possibly, claustrophobic). There's also more space to move around and allows more than one person in the Kitchen without someone being trapped, which is important in a Kitchen. The portable cart is a nice idea.
    ...See More

Kitchen remodel help with weird floor plan

Q

Comments (6)
    We need pictures , a to scale floor plan with all measurements clearly marked all windows and doorway marked and plumbing unless it can be moved. The height of the walls on all sides . I will sya there is no reason for a 48” range in a regular home unless you cook for 20 3 x day. The venting will cost more than the range and the noise from the venting is horrible.
    ...See More

Remodeling kitchen in new house. Need help with floor plan

Q

Comments (1)
    I’d try to match the opening to the living room on the dining room side, then make a U-shaped kitchen. Put a small table or two comfy chairs in the bay window space. Definitely no to that first island layout.
    ...See More
  • musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

In the photo you shared there were only chairs on the outside of the table, not the kitchen side. In your architect’s plan there are chairs on the inside. This would drive me batty, get in the way, and make it difficult to use the table as a work surface. Do you have somewhere to store six chairs so they’re only in the walkway when needed. If not I’d avoid that option, even if it is very cool looking.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

We had a table as an island in a condo after college. It was awful. The issue is tables aren't counter height, so you have to bend over if you want to use it as prep space. And if it was counter height, it would be too high for normal seating. So from personal experience, I'm telling you to scrap that table/island idea. Just get an extending table.

• User
    6 years ago

Your architect probably isn’t “too slow” he’s probably being conservative given this isn’t really that realistic of a project. Your insurance will not pay for wholesale rearrangement of your house. So where is the extra 200K going to come from to do it?

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

A lot will depend on how you cook, and how you arrange the actual counter prep, cooking and clean up space as to whether the table is practical. Definitely chairs on both sides, and it doesn't sound like you have the storage space for half when not in use.

The table mostly won't be useful for prepping, although currently I like sitting DOWN at my dining table to do close at hand repetitive work such as stuffing grape leaves, making Vietnamese summer rolls, and the like. (Bad knees here). Decorating cookies would fall into the same category.

I'd bring the kitchen to the Kitchen Forum.

• sofikbr
    6 years ago

This is very long kitchen to run back and forth, and all of the chairs on the way will make table not useful for every day dining. I wouldn't want to have diner with just my family on the table with 15 chairs... I think you need to put smaller table in front of kitchen with chairs on back and storage below and another table in bay window area that you can move together for party time.

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    6 years ago

I'm a little confused by where a guest enters the home. If it's the entry next to the library then I would ditch the plan that has guests enter through the library and into the kitchen.

I have a structural concern. It appears you're taking out a bearing wall to open up the kitchen. While removing bearing walls can be done it's not easy. This is an excessively long distance to try to free span.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

I agree with Summit Studio Architects about routing traffic from the entry to the kitchen through the library.

Looking at your plan, the only way to public spaces from the entry is through private spaces. This wasn't uncommon in older homes but you have an easy way to fix that and I would. Besides, wouldn't you rather company entering your home sees the bank of windows across the back of your home instead of a wall? I would. It will also make your entry more light-filled.

I see a sun room listed on one of the plans. Is that space you currently have or a wished-for add-on? If the former, I'd move the kitchen to that space and make the space where the kitchen is currently planned the dining room. That space is generous enough that you can add a mudroom where the proposed carport door is. You can add a door to the library if you want your kids to stash their backpacks in that room or you can add benches and storage for shoes, coats and backpacks in the mudroom.

How often do you entertain your entire family of 15 people? More than 1x a week? Weekly? Monthly? If it's on a regular basis, I can see the need to keep the large table set up so that you don't have to drag table leaves out all the time. But if the majority of the time only your immediate family will be sitting at the table, that long table is going to seem overwhelming. Kinda like the scene in the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger seated at opposite ends of a very long table (that reference dates me, lol.)

I'm also curious how you're going to support the 2nd story across that very long span. That beam is going to cost a pretty penny!

(Sorry to hear that you suffered through Hurricane Harvey. Wishing you a better year ahead.)

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! If you look there are 2 plans. The plan 2B is the odd one that blocks access to the bathroom.. The Plan 2A is the one I prefer of the plans. I told the architect I didn't want that large of a table I preferred something with leaves or 2 tables I could put together, but have not heard back from him. The plan shows a beam added across, but I am not opposed to leaving columns, etc. The reason I hired an architect is I was uncertain which walls are load bearing. I do not have a sun room, and don't really think that the placement he shows will work as it would block my circular driveway. My current floor plan has a small mud room with a closet, I was sacrificing the mud room for the library/office room. If you look at the original floor plan there is a door in the mud room and then the main entrance to the house. We really never use the front door just the side door through the mud room. I just am not sure what to do with the space, in the current floor plan, the kitchen is in the middle and I have these 2 small areas on either side. The dining room is too small and the breakfast area is small with no natural light and just so many traffic patterns (because we come in and walk through to the hallway) we just used it as an entry area. Trying to find a good solution.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, if you look at my existing space, the entrance is into a narrow dark hallway. I really don't like it. Which is why I wondered if it would be better to open up the mud room, closet, hallway, into a larger room.

• J G
    6 years ago

I like damiarains plan. We have a large dining room, and we like to host large family gatherings (about 15 people) and we just put card tables at the end of the dining room table. If it is a lot of people it goes into the living room.

While I love to the look in the picture, I just don't think the plan with the big table in the kitchen is very practical...it gives you everything in a long line with a big island/table to walk around everytime you need to leave the kitchen

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We've been down with the flu and I haven't checked in! Damiarain, your entry area is more what I had in mind eliminating the hallway and making more of an L shape for the kitchen. But, it would not work to make an office out of the dining room. The living/dining room are open and flow into each other, and the entire back wall has matching windows. I don't want to block off that space. Also, the kitchen doesn't really have windows so blocking off the dining windows would make the kitchen super dark. We previously had an mud room and I was hoping to just make that area larger and turn into a library/entry area at the back there. Also, there is a traffic pattern that basically runs down the hallway from the bathroom towards the back door and then across to the steps, so extending the table horizontally blocks things, it really needs to go vertically, which was my thought for taking out the island.

• christina405
    6 years ago

Question: Do you need separate office and library or could these functions be combined in one space? If they could, that opens more possibilities.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh I definitely just one one office / library space!!! I don't need 2!! I was thinking 1 office/entry/library.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago

Post your EXISTING plan please. And give a ballpark estimate for budget you are working with. This is all pie in the sky otherwise.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My existing floor plan is posted twice- at the top and in the comments. It says existing floor plan. There's no walls or appliances in the space now just studs. My budget cap is 200 K. I am in Houston and building costs are low- I only paid 200K for my house and I had contractor quotes before the flood of 50K for kitchen remodel so I think I am good on budget.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I played off of Damiarain's version but moved the dining area to the bay window. You can either have the bay window a separate window seat, or a ledge or have it banquet seating for the table. When you have your large soiree's you can pull the table away from the window and extend it into the family room.

What I like about Damiarain's plan is the kitchen is a lot more functional. Plus you now have a true entry with lots of closet space for clothing, or it can be divided into a broom closet and coat closet, or???

I also added windows on either side of the cooktop. If the view next door is not good, you can always make them high windows to just let in light. I did the same with adding 2 windows on the "dining room" wall and a window in what would be the "mudroom"

Like others have suggested, this kitchen works much better than the one you think you might want for all the reasons stated. This L shaped kitchen allows for more than one person to work at the same time and allows for good flow in and out of the kitchen area.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Here is one more flipping the library and the "mudroom". This now allows the "mudroom" to also house a pantry/hooks for coats/etc near the kitchen. The library is back where you originally had it.

I would keep the "home office" and use it as an away room, or a crafts room or ???

Additionally, now in the kitchen you would have room for a prep sink on the perimeter.

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

In either of cpartists versions, what about making the under stair storage the pantry?

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago

I like cpartists plans....it's important to show furniture arrangements as you could easily have a table that expands from the everyday arrangement by the bay window to into the family room for more seating when you have large groups. The key is to design the furniture arrangement in the family room to accommodate this with minimal furniture moving.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really appreciate the feedback. cpartist, where you have the table is exactly where my table is now. It does not really work extending into the family room because it blocks access to the doors to the outside. I was trying to find something that worked better. This is the reason why I was looking for a way to remove the island and use a table instead of an island that could then be extended. I need a way to the dining table to extend vertically instead of horizontally. I tried to show the traffic patterns on this. It is basically a traffic corridor from the back door to the bathroom and then along the side to the stairs. The rectangles are my couches.

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's another sketch I found of my original floor plan.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    I recommend hiring not just an architect but a good interior designer. I think you could consider a furniture arrangement that brings an expandable dining table into the family room and then have smaller lounge spaces off the kitchen. This would mean new furniture which has to be factored into the budget.
    Interior Portfolio · More Info
  • damiarain
    6 years ago

You mention hosting dinners for your family (~15 people) - I guess I was picturing like my fam, where it’s every few months we all get together, and the dining situation is kind of make shift and awkward, but my aunt and uncle (who always host) otherwise have the house arranged in a sensible manner for themselves - like, they don’t leave a table for 20 set up all the time.

Maybe you could clarify? Cuz I’m feeling like you can either have seating for 15 all the time but a worse everyday layout, or a better everyday layout that can be made to work for 15... but it depends on what you need =)

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

damiarain, I don't want to have a giant table for 15 set up all the time. That isn't practical, and I didn't like that humongous table my architect sent me. BUT, I do want there to be some way I can set up a large table for everyone, or two smaller tables for everyone. I think most women want to set a table with pretty dishes and a tablecloth for the holidays. Right now my dining room is only wide enough for a table that seats 6. I can't extend it easily without blocking the back door (and we're in the south, people go outside, I have a deck) or moving all my living room furniture. There has to be a way to make a layout that works for everyday and entertaining. That was why my original thought was to eliminate the island, and use a table in the kitchen. I liked the pictures I found of that. My kids tend to stand in the kitchen with me and eat anyway. I could also do a counter height table that doubles as an island, a moveable island that can be wheeled out of the way to extend a table, an island with seating that a table could be pushed against, etc. But I don't really want a table that has to extend into the family room- I have that now and don't like it.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Maybe you should consider a pantry/mudroom/laundry combination off the back entry. Eliminate the corridor entirely and gain tons of storage. Then have your library /office combined off the family room.
    Laundry Room · More Info
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Move the back door to the living room or make it a sliding door.

Then make the island a bit smaller and when you have company you angle the dining table like so. Now you're technically not blocking the door to the outside but when you don't have guests, your house is set up for family.

Will it be a bit tight? Absolutely but who cares when it's family?

• musikal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thinkdesignlive, my laundry is upstairs. But I really don't like the hallway and would love to eliminate it. It seems like a waste of space and is ugly, very narrow, and dark. My thought has always been to just enter into a large combo library/entry area. I like the idea of a space right off the kitchen where the kids can do homework, etc. And I think I misunderstood your question earlier- the space on the left side is my husband's office :-) It's sort of a separate mother-in-law quarters space. I used to have my office in the spare bedroom but we both have elderly ill parents and are wanting to keep that available as a spare bedroom in case it is needed.

• backyardfeast
    6 years ago

How low are your bay windows? Could the kitchen be moved to the back there and incorporate them, so the dining room could be extended vertically down to take over some of the breakfast room space?

• User
    6 years ago

That budget is an extra 200K in addition to your insurance money, right? Because insurance will not pay for upgrades.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    You may want to consider a round dining table for 8 near the bay and then a kitchen table in lieu of an island with a bench on the working side that can tuck under but come into use for large gatherings. The kitchen table could then be a more reasonable size and would allow you to do an ‘L’ kitchen layout rather than the impractical straight run. The bench is key to visually limit so many chairs in one space (kind of like your inspiration pic). Here is just a nice visual of a large round. I think you run into limitations with the long rectangular table with your conditions.
    Rancho Santa Fe · More Info
  • Kristin S
    6 years ago

What about adding a second set of doors at the end of the family room window wall? You’d take out a window, but I like the symmetry of doors at each end, and then the three windows in the dining room would match the three in the family room.

• christina405
    6 years ago

cpartlist's last plan opens the hallway with placement of the mudroom midway down the hall. Combine that with thinkdesignlive's suggestion of a round table (take advantage of that bay window!) and rectangular table as a moveable kitchen island for the best of both worlds. The island could be moved together with the round table for large gatherings or used separately. Or as Kristin's says, add another door to the deck.

Long ago we had a large bay like yours in the kitchen. Put a curved sofa in it with a coffee table. Great for visiting while cooking. Just food for thought as we did have a separate large dining room.