SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

OLD FASHION X-mas Cactus, Out There?

PoohBearLvr
6 years ago

Hey. I have put up a request to try and find some cuttings of the very old, or original 'Christmas cactus'. I thought I managed to save my last potful that looked like a nice sized plant, from Hurricane Irma. I got 2 good sized plants growing from the cuttings I received. After growing them for 2 years I got blooms and thought all was great! Well 1 died from the ungodly heat this past summer, and I assume my over-watering, (to compensate for the heat), not knowing this was going to be the year we would get hit by a Hurricane...Irma killed my last one. Just in time for Christmas:(

I HAD one that was well over 150 years old,....it did great up in Connecticut, where I am from, when I moved to south Fla. it adapted and did well, till half the plant just rotted on one of its two huge 'trunks! It was like it had 2 'limbs'. But it just rotted off. I rooted some of the stems, and re-potted the other half, and it slowly died over the next 10 years or so. It never looked good again. I guess it was to big of a loss to the plant. So i grew it and cared for it till I had nothing left. I came in here and asked for help from others, who had very old specimens themselves, and asked for cuttings/segments, to start over, and got a few great stems to start over.

Well here I am, just weeks before Christmas, and the last of my Christmas cactus is dead:( What a gift. Between the heat this summer, the hurricane, the wet season/rain, it just rotted slowly, I couldnt get in front of it. It just never looked good after Irma left us. And sure enough, I am guessing from all the stress of the past season, it finally died.

I have nothing left of MY OWN family's original Christmas Cactus now, it is gone. Generations grew it, and it died on my 'watch'. It was passed down from 3 generations, and since I am the gardener in the family, I took care of it. It did great, till all this finally killed it. I even lost the plants that I got from the cuttings I got.

So I will never have my huge beautiful cactus again, but I would like to grow one, and pass it down to the next generation. I am sure most everyone knows the one I am talking about, but it is the one in the picture below. Is there anyone out there that can part with some decent sized cuttings, so I can grow out an 'old fashion Christmas cactus'....for next year,...this year is gone, but I can TRY for 2018. Can/will someone help me out?

Comments (63)