SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

How To Force X-Mas Cactus To Bloom

aveo5
12 years ago

Hey All. Can I force my X-Mas cactus to bloom NOW...or is it to late in the year already?

I am talking about one of the 'original' Christmas cactus varieties. One of the originals from the 1800's, Not the hybrids of today.

My cactus blooms every year,usually it blooms from Dec. till Jan. It puts out blooms for nearly the two months. It is putting out new leaves now on some stem tips.

I know it has to do with light timing. That it has to be given a lot more total darkness, thus the season it blooms, to induce blooming. I think the street lights threw it off this past season. So I wanted to know just how many hours of total darkness do I need to give it, and for how many weeks/months, to force it to bloom?

Or is it to late? I mean it is putting out new leaves, but not on all the stems, not yet. So...can I force it now, or have I past the season it would bloom, even if i did put it in darkness for the time it needs?

Can anyone give me some light times and length, it needs to see IF it will bloom or not? Thanks.

Comments (6)