SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

Obscure Cooking Terms & Old-Fashioned Words

friedag
17 years ago

Heh! I've been reading old cookery books, a couple from the 18th century and several from the 19th. I find them fascinating and delightful, as well as perplexing -- and how!

The knowledgeable lot that you are, I bet someone can help clear up a few obscurities that I have bolded below.

One authoress instructs:
A lace whip made of fine wire costing ten cents, is far better than a dover costing fifty.Well, Mrs. Robinson I didn't know that!

The same Mrs. Robinson tells me: Use a medium sized wooden spoon, the best for waiding sugar and butter.You bet I will, ma'am.

I love this from The Northwest Farmer Recipe Book, 1894:
Not least among the items which conduce to success in cookery are the utensils for use in cooking. I would like to mention a close-covered steamer to fit the teakettle, and I will not neglect the iron dish cloth, the little fist brush, the pearline, sapolio and the electro lolicon.

I think I've got a line on "pearline" being some sort of pearlescent dishware, but I'm not sure. Did someone, by chance, inherit some of it from your great-great grandmother?

"Sapolio" is a type of soap, that I know, but can anyone describe its consistency, smell, color, etc.?

And, oh boy! "electro lolicon." I googled and got quite a list -- some of them in French -- but somehow I don't think the good farmers' wives, mothers, and daughters of the Dakotas were talking about the same sort of "lolicons." My, oh my, oh my...I'm still laughing, but I warn you if your sensibilities are delicate...:-)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH