SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
areedwrites

Insulation of Cold/Heat in Room

A R
6 years ago

I have a home office where I work from everyday, all day. In the summer it gets very hot. In the winter it gets very cold. It is miserable. I installed a "window" A/C unit in the wall and it does help when it gets hot, but it runs all the time. I am currently using a space heater to help with the cold, but that only covers the immediate area and the rest of the room stays cold (plus it is on ALL the time).

This room used to be an enclosed porch that was then totally enclosed, added onto the house with HVAC ducting and everything. I have been under the house, there is insulation under the flooring plus vapor barrier.

One entire wall is just picture windows. I know a lot of heat/cold comes from this so I put up thermal curtains, still doesn't help and I miss the view as well. I am about to rip the nasty old stained carpet up and put hardwood down which I know will make matters worse- at least for the cold problem. I do plan on putting down a layer of insulation/sound damper under the wood floor.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help make this room more comfortable. I can't afford to replace these huge windows (5, 59" x 49" (roughly). Is there anything else I could do with the windows to try and block the heat/cold?

The windows cover the entire back wall and wall to the right of the room.

Comments (8)